Trailer Trash

Fridailies (Read 35 times)

The pooch and I got out for a nice 4 mile trail run this morning.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  I feel like it's Monday.  20+ miler on the books for tomorrow and friend wants to run it as an out and back on C&O canal towpath.  I HATE the towpath, too damn flat and if you've seen 1 mile, you've pretty much seen it all.. Maybe I can talk him out of it in favor of some single track trails.

QOTD:  Any good reads lately?  I need to download some books on my Kindle.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Morning folks.  Might be another rest day as the cold I'm been fighting off has seemed to have gotten the upper hand.

qotd:  Almost done with Trapping the Boundary Waters: A tenderfoot in the border country, 1919-1920 by Charles Cook Jr.  Interesting perspective of living and trapping in northern MN by a kid from Chicago.  It's a regional read so I don't know how readily available it is on Kindle or other sellers.

moonlightrunner

HGood morning!

No run for me today. I ran 5 yesterday and o CE again I have a nagging pain behind my right knee. I hope it holds up for my 50k tomorrow.

I stopped by the LRS for GU. I ended up buying a jacket on sale I am unsure I will use. It is heat generating" fabric. And it is water repellant...which is what I really wanted.I run hot...so I am not sure I should have gotten it. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain/sleet...so I felt I needed something. Probably should just go with a garbage bag. I don't know...I'm thinking about it.

Qotd: what do you wear as an outer layer for wet and cold conditions?

Woops! I did not see a qotd was already posted!

Qotd1: no reading for me. Taking care of toddlers takes up any time I have 

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Got up early this morning and did a nice 12 miles with two of the fast girls.  My DW was giving me some good light-hearted shit for crawling out of a nice warm bed in the middle of the night to meet my 2 girlfriends.  :-)  It was dark, cold and drizzly, but it was also good to get out there.  One of them is training for her first 100 miler (RR100) and she has been giving me shit since I won't be there to help/pace her since I'll be in Korea.  Anyway it is good to get out there in the crappy conditions during training and have her figure out her headlamp situation.  Yeah, it's a common theme, I get a lot of shit....  but I guess that's because I also hand it out.

qotd:  Currently reading "Just Kids" by Patti Smith.  I traded my copy of "Wild" for it with one of the "fast girls" mentioned above.

tbd.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good morning!  I am at work today. 

Yesterday the dog and I celebrated the start of 2015 by running a nice and cold 8.3 trail miles.  Upon arriving back to the trailhead, I spied a NorthernHarrier car, although I spied no NorthernHarriers on the trail (bird or people.)  Today is a SRD.  I am hoping to sneak out of work early enough to take the dog to the park while there's still some light in the sky.

QOTD: I got nada right now.

YQOTD: I ran 619 miles in 2014.  Walked 750 and biked 1700.  I am hoping to at least double my running miles this year, not keep track of any walking miles, and just do whatever on the bike!

Running is dumb.

LB2

I have been grounded for most of the week due to a nasty cold. It seems to be breaking up pretty good now. This morning is the first morning all week that I have not felt like a total waste.

QOTD: I haven't read much lately. I have about 3 different books started. But nothing is really grabbing me right now.

LB2

Occasional Runner

Rest day. I fell asleep at 1:00 yesterday afternoon, woke up at 7:00 to eat and have a few beers, then slept again until 5:00 this morning. It was the best sleep I'ver had! It's probably blog worthy.

QOTD: Just wrapping up African Dream. It's a story about Che Guevara and his involvement in the revolution in the Congo. I find him to be a fascinating person.

Watoni

A few hours of downhill skiing -- a bit icy, but still fun until the crowds showed up. I need to work on my ski technique. Still have a real hacking cough so I might just hike some of the trails before my son's team has its comp meeting this pm. One son still has a fever after the NYE urgent care visit and is pressing to ski but we are holding him out for at least another day.

QOTD: I am starting a book club with my bride. I was thinking about Persuasion from Jane Austen as a first offering ....

sugnim

Hi all. I got a frosty 6.5 miles in this morning with my dog. No one else was out. It snowed lightly, and since my boss gave us today off, I enjoyed being able to run during the hours of daylight.  The creek is completely frozen over, which is always interesting to me.

QOTD 1:  I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar at least 3 times everyday. It's my son's current favorite.

QOTD 2: I don't dress any differently for wet weather except for my goretex shoes. For very cold weather (10 or below) I wear wool long underwear which always keeps me warm.

runtraildc

Moonlight- last week (mostly single digits, negative wind chills), I just added more layers with wool usually next to the skin.  For the outermost layer, I added a second (roomy) running jacket over  the 3 layers of fleece, wool and my fleece windblock running jacket).  Hat, of course, along with a neck gator and I was quite comfortable.

Qotd: what do you wear as an outer layer for wet and cold conditions?

NorthernHarrier

So I did the required 15 miles yesterday. It felt lonnngg. I have a lot of work ahead of me to even think about running a couple ultras again. Ugh! Rest day today other than some weights and core early this morning.

QOTD 1--I don't read much other than magazine articles and the sports page. Funny then that the two books Sandy mentioned I actually have read. 

QOTD 2-- If it's warm enough I seldom worry about the rain and just enjoy the soaking and when it's cold and rainy I will use a Marmot pre-clip rain coat over what I'm wearing. Otherwise I have a number of different warm things to wear and don't think too much about it. I am overloaded with gear.

hog4life

7.8 around the edge of town and then through the college campus. People in this town have never seen a runner, lol. I'm getting a lot of weird looks.

I was told once I need to read more. That was about 17 years ago, I still need to read more.

I don't have a good outer shell for bad weather. I have a couple of the Ascics thermolite tops that work well for the cold.

some call me Tim

5 today through some nice fresh powder!

qotd1: I recently read 'Racing the Antelope' by Bernd Heinrich, which was excellent and a very uncommon approach for a running related memoir. Apart from running related, I really enjoyed 'Blindness' by Jose Saramago, especially the hallucinatory way he handles dialogue. Fair warning, it has its disturbing moments, but if you like a good dystopian nightmare, this one's for you.

qotd2: I have a North Face shell long since delaminated that I wear, but I should probably replace it.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening

qotd 1: re-read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, a very dark look at the Texas-Mexican border lands in the 1840's

qotd 2: my normal outer shell is a Houdini (Patagonia) windshirt- breathes well while still blocking the wind, also does a good job w/ light precip- if there is a better than fair chance of rain, then I'll pack a hard shell (OR Helium); I've found there isn't a hard shell made that can keep up w/ the exertion of running, however better to be sweating inside than getting soaked by cold rain- like NH if it's warm, rain isn't an issue

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √