Trailer Trash

Think "weekend" Thursdaily (Read 27 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am wishing the weekend would come already.  This week is dragging...

Got in 7 miles morning in cool temps - absolutely perfect for running.  Back to running in the dark in the mornings for a while.

QOTD: What types of things have you sacrificed for others? Anything big?

I can't say that I have sacrificed anything too big.  I've thought about what it would be like to donate a kidney but I obviously haven't.  I would like to say that I sacrifice time for my family - meaning that I try and run when kids are in bed (either late night or early mornings).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

About 5 this morning. I just ran; no watch; and I sort of lost myself in the run, which is good. I think it was about 5, maybe 4.5, but I'll call it 5.

QOTD: I have sacrificed money and time for people. I don't count money and time against my family because I don't look at that as a sacrifice, really. That is just what you do for your wife and kids. In fact, this brings back a memory from yesterday when my oldest daughter was saying something about me mentioning that if I had done this or that things might have been different in my own life. Several years ago, I declined a job with Cabela's at their headquarters in Sidney, NE. And the context of my comments dealt with hunting in exotic places for elk, moose, grizzly bear, etc. It was just an off handed remark while we were discussing living in various locations, and I am most certain it was during the summer in Louisiana. I explained to her that I love my life, and I wouldn't change a thing. The most important thing to me in my life is to be a dad to her and her sisters, and those are the things that drive my decisions about everything I do. Anyway, my point in the comments I made were to illustrate how important my family is to me, not that I was disappointed in my life. I enjoy my life. And I am happy with the choices I have made, both good and bad.

LB2

runtraildc

Hi all!  Heading to yoga shortly for some cross training/injury avoidance then a couple of miles before back-to-school night for the second night in a row.  Thankfully last night's event, and I expect the same of tonight, was very well organized and worthwhile.  I hate when my time is wasted.

qotd:  Oh, deep thoughts today, Jamie!  What comes first to mind was moving to DC with DH (then boyfriend).  As a west of the mississippi kind of gal, it felt like a sacrifice at the time.  And he said it would be 3 years, 5 years max.  Well, we're moving on 20 years, two kids (great schools), a mortgage and I couldn't be happier.  Well, the heat and humidity gets to me, sometimes.  And I miss MN, but life is pretty good here and we'll probably move when we retire.

XtremeTaper

French Creek run last night. Cashing in these remaining evening daylight runs. The Lady and I ran about 9 miles on what I call my 2 lakes loop. Nice evening. Warm, not humid. Ran into 2 ladies again down by Hopewell lake. I think they were doing the 1 lake loop, running the opposite direction of me. Anyways, there was a sign "bridge out" and they wondered how I got around that as I beat them back to parking lot and I had a longer way to go in my direction. I just sort of mumbled that you just go through the creek in that case. Not sure what they did.

Tonight. A typical 7 mile run trail run somewhere.

QOTD: Sacrifice... Nice song by Steve Miller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JZli05F08

I am drawing a blank here... does that make me selfish. Mind you I do a lot for others (wife, work colleagues, family) but giving up something important to me? No. Not really.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NHLA

8 miles 1 hr 3 min.  Ran around a sharp curve and Bamn  Bear in the garbage. About 25 yds away. He stood his ground because he liked his garbage. After five min. he moved into a thicket about 15 yds into the woods he sat down and was watching me. I walked by him and a car came up. Waved her down and she got out and we watched him run off. I think he was about two yeasrs old.

qotd  I gave up my car. Didn't have a car for five years. I did get a car this year but I had gotten used to not having one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Worked early, and kids are in school, which gives me plenty of time for A RUN!! Yay! Heading out in a moment.

Wonderful weather, so it will be fun.

Jamie: I agree, this week is dragging along. Can someone push the "fast forward" button, please. Let it be Friday, soon!!

LB2: That sounds like my runs. Always with a little wiggle room to give me credit.

traildc: Your comment on the QOTD is soothing to me, because my family might have to move to the DC area soon. We will have to find ways to take care of my FIL, and I am not sure how this will work out. Either way, right now I'm dreading the coming weeks. 

Taper: LOL. At my trailhead, there's a bridge out, too, but the hill is so extremely steep with lose soil that it is almost impossible to get around it, even if you go right through the creek (and they have taken care to really fence off the construction site). Fortunately I know the trails that shortcut around it, but for anyone not familiar with the area, this might mean several miles of detours.

NHLA: No car? Well, this might explain why you run so darn fast! 

QOTD: The only time I felt I "sacrificed" something was when I decided to stay in America and not move back to Europe. I already had signed for a good, well-paid job in Germany, no expiration date on the job contract, and a place to live, and with the decision to stay where I was, it felt like I was giving up a promising future for an uncertain one. It was a decision based not on reasoning (either way looked ok), but on my gut feeling as well. Turned out so-so, I am happy now, but I'm sure I'd be happy, too, if I had gone back. Once I make I decision, I don't look back and wonder "What if...", which makes it easier to cope with whatever is coming along my way.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Probably get in my normal 7.4 mile loop with DS tonight after he gets home from work.   Meanwhile I'm working on finding an attorney. Having an issue with a car warranty company that's got to that point.  Finding out that's it difficult to find someone who handles cases like this.

QOTD:  Mostly small amounts of time and money for family members who are not immediate family. Things such as mowing grass or doing other services free of charge.  I did spend quite a bit of time supporting a younger co-worker when they were going through a difficult time. Because of me she was able to remain working longer than if I had not helped out.  Now she has to be careful talking to me because the abusive asshole she lives with with gets upset.

Right now I'm putting in a massive amount of time with my kids. Considering that they are both in their early 20s I feel like I shouldn't have to do this much for them but that's the way it is these days. DD worked at a local store full time and went to school part time.  Now she's having some difficulty getting a good job or even good interviews. I had a recent interaction with a "recruiter" and came away with the feeling that once you have a job in retail sales some companies label you as not fit to hire for anything else .  So now I end up spending a lot of time trying to help her prepare for interviews and doing other job search stuff.

DS bought a car the end of July and the engine blew up. The car warranty company are being total jerks. Since both of our names are on the title, and he can't take phone calls at work, I end up having to do all the crap work of trying to straighten things out.

Like LB2 I don't mind too much because they are my kids, but yet it rally does keep me from fully getting on with my own life. For example, here I sit at the house waiting for return phone calls instead of being out on the bike.

Maybe I should have posted a whine alert before I wrote all that .  Or maybe I should just go have a large glass of wine .

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hi all!  Heading to yoga shortly for some cross training/injury avoidance then a couple of miles before back-to-school night for the second night in a row.  Thankfully last night's event, and I expect the same of tonight, was very well organized and worthwhile.  I hate when my time is wasted.

qotd:  Oh, deep thoughts today, Jamie!  What comes first to mind was moving to DC with DH (then boyfriend).  As a west of the mississippi kind of gal, it felt like a sacrifice at the time.  And he said it would be 3 years, 5 years max.  Well, we're moving on 20 years, two kids (great schools), a mortgage and I couldn't be happier.  Well, the heat and humidity gets to me, sometimes.  And I miss MN, but life is pretty good here and we'll probably move when we retire.

It was either this or back to mayo or miracle whip again!!!!   BTW - which is worse, summer in DC or winter in MN???

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It is dragging especially when you considered I had Monday off from work.  Plan is the lunch time 5 because I didn't want to get out of bed.   My poor mutts.

QOTD:  I sacrificed a lot for my husband.  I stayed in CA when I have wanted to move back to Michigan to be near my family for the 25 years.  I also didn't have children because he didn't want them.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

It was either this or back to mayo or miracle whip again!!!!  

Just to get straight to the point on this one. I don't care which one you buy or eat, just make sure it's either Kraft or Hellman's.  That way my stock dividend for both Kraft and Unilever will keep increasing.

Watoni

Yup, I am thinking of taking tomorrow off to hasten the advent of the weekend .... maybe Monday, too Smile

Rest day from running .... only got a short but intense run in last evening due to back-to-school night and my inability to get out in the morning. I will try the new cycling shoes today again at lunch, trying to dial them in.

QOTD: That is a deep question. We have spent a lot of time/resources helping out sick friends, family, etc. -- at times it has been draining, but I do not think of it as a sacrifice per se.

In reading Queen's response, I felt almost in an opposite position. I always thought I would love kids, but could go either way. Knowing my wife's history, though, I felt I needed to do my best to make children happen for her.  It is not a sacrifice, either, although I would like some more time with her generally Smile

runtraildc

It's a tie.  Summer can be miserable here in DC, but winter is sooo long in MN.  But I might have to say MN wins because the summers are better than DC winters and MN has much better apples and wild blueberries.  And lakes.  real lakes.

And Marie, I hope it works out well for all of you in the long run.  You'd be giving up your mountains to come to DC.  But we do have more of that heat and humidity you love.

It was either this or back to mayo or miracle whip again!!!!   BTW - which is worse, summer in DC or winter in MN???

AT-runner

Tim

Skipped Beer Runners run last night to have dinner with DW. Yes Queen, I did have a beer or two. Not Your Father's Root Beer could be dangerous. Too easy to drink.

Jamie - must be getting closer to finishing that dissertation with today's QOTD.

LB2 - 4.5 is rounded up to 5 always.

dreamer - Sounds like you need to yell into a pillow, then get a drink. Insurance companies make money by not spending it.

QOTD: I have never slaughtered any animals in ritualistic fashion to appease a higher being...    ...but, I have given up things to help others.  Time would be the easy answer. I have lost time with my wife and kids to help others in need.  For example, 2 weeks ago DW and I were going to go to a movie, but I got a call from my elderly neighbors daughter asking if I could check on his TV, that wan't working.  5 minutes turned into 30 and we missed the movie but he had television and we did a movie on demand instead.  DW does the same thing, so we don't get bothered when the other one does something like this. I don't really consider this a sacrifice, just shifting priorities.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

And Marie, I hope it works out well for all of you in the long run.  You'd be giving up your mountains to come to DC.  But we do have more of that heat and humidity you love.

Catoctin Mountains are not too far away, and just as rocky and hilly as any State College peaks.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Still very fall like here, highs in the mid 50's- will get in 5-6 miles after work.

qotd: sadly I sacrificed a lot of time with my family in my career as a game warden; we worked lots of long hours and almost every weekend and holiday. I worked hard, but the real sacrifice was made by my family

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √