Trailer Trash

Beast of Burden 50 m race report (Read 53 times)

SillyC

Hi guys,

I got my Beast of Burden Race Report up on my blog!

What a fun race this is - but boy, running 50 miles in the cold ain't easy.

http://heatherrunstoomuch.blogspot.com/2014/01/winter-beast-of-burden-50-mile-race.html

Uh oh... now what?

Hi guys,

I got my Beast of Burden Race Report up on my blog!

What a fun race this is - but boy, running 50 miles in the cold ain't easy.

http://heatherrunstoomuch.blogspot.com/2014/01/winter-beast-of-burden-50-mile-race.html

Now it's a linque.

Congratulations--that is not good running weather.

SillyC

Now it's a linque.

Congratulations--that is not good running weather.

Thanks for putting that in, John!

Gator eye

Tough conditions, congrats on the finish.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Well, first you take the chicken to the other side, go back and pick up the fox.  Drop the fox off and bring the chicken back.  Pick up the feed bag and leave the chicken there.  Drop off the feed bag with the fox and go back for the chicken...

Great report.  The conditions sound tough especially with the aid station carnage and Deron going to the ER.  Congrats on getting the finish on a tough day.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hey thats a good report.  Thanks for sharing.  I have had an eye on this race since I heard of it.  Other than the flatness of the course, it sounds great.  I really want to run a winter ultra someday.

Great job out there.  Thanks for sharing!

They also have the beast of burden summer edition -- in the dead of summer. Those race directors are some sick people!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congrats!  that's a long time to battle the elements, good on you for winning that battle Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

SillyC

Hey thats a good report.  Thanks for sharing.  I have had an eye on this race since I heard of it.  Other than the flatness of the course, it sounds great.  I really want to run a winter ultra someday.

Great job out there.  Thanks for sharing!

They also have the beast of burden summer edition -- in the dead of summer. Those race directors are some sick people!

boyjame - THAT summer one sound slyly brutal too!  There is NO shade on this course.  I mean, zero.  You will be baking out there, and it's Buffalo, so it's going to be humid.  Also, it's "sweater weather" at night there in the summer - plan on that!  Since you're on the canal, I guarantee mosquitoes and lots of them.

The flatness was more interesting than I thought it was going to be.  You can see for MILES down the canal, so you can see the other runners, and it looks like the bridges and locks are only 200 feet away.... but they are a mile!  It wasn't anywhere near as boring as I had feared, and definitely NOT the most boring race I've ever done.  Not even in the top 3.

Jamezilla - my friend was so okay that he RAN the two miles back to the hotel from the ER!  I know him well and he would have felt guilty if I'd pulled out to accompany him.  I would have insisted if he looked scared or rough, but he looked healthy and annoyed.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

he RAN the two miles back to the hotel from the ER! 

Thats badass!

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

Nice race on some crappy conditions.  Hope your foot is healing up.  Those frozen footprints look like they were just inviting an ankle turn or two.

Was Deron pulled for hypothermia or an injury?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Wow, sounds like you were well prepared for the weather!  What was the actual temp vs. wind chill? Looks frigid. Great job.

SillyC

Nice race on some crappy conditions.  Hope your foot is healing up.  Those frozen footprints look like they were just inviting an ankle turn or two.

Was Deron pulled for hypothermia or an injury?

Ah, neither - but that's his story to tell I suppose.  He tried to get a doctor's note from the ER to let him come back and continue the race, which is even funnier than him running 2 miles back to the hotel.  According to Deron, the doctor didn't even have a sense of humor about that request.

Foot is getting better.  I'm self diagnosing plantar fascitis - a night in the BOOT and it's feeling drastically better.  If it keeps improving throughout the day, I might take it out for a spin around my block later tonight.

SillyC

Wow, sounds like you were well prepared for the weather!  What was the actual temp vs. wind chill? Looks frigid. Great job.

"Actual" temp was in the teens and lower 20s.  I have NO idea what "wind chill" was - I heard someone saying something "negative".  I don't really go by windchill so much and tend to prepare for lower temperatures based on actual temp and wind speed, if that makes any sense.  Teens and below and I start to care for my skin differently.  Single digits and below and I need to care for my eyes also. With wind, I'll put on wind-stopping layers rather than warmth layers.

Sandy-2

Ah, neither - but that's his story to tell I suppose.

Very curious on why he was "pulled".  I guess it couldn't have been for "low weight" since you all had so many layers of clothing on, you were probably lugging around lots of extra weight.

Congratulations.  Sounds like a great race.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

SillyC

Very curious on why he was "pulled".  I guess it couldn't have been for "low weight" since you all had so many layers of clothing on, you were probably lugging around lots of extra weight.

Congratulations.  Sounds like a great race.

Well, worth mentioning I suppose is that Beast of Burden is not the kind of race that has a large, well qualified medical team so far as we were aware. I wouldn't say that's dangerous, though, since the hospital is so close.