Trailer Trash

JFK50 Weekender (Read 20 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Before my injury, I originally was planning on running the JFK today with a friend.  She's running her 10th one today and unfortunately it's cold and raining hard. Man I feel for her.  26.3 miles on the C&O towpath with wind and rain is not my idea of fun.  Hopefully they got through the AT section before the weather turned.

Worked DW's race today, so now treadmill and then off to a wedding.  Long run tomorrow with strong winds foretasted.

QOTD:  Weekend plans?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

runtraildc

6 miles with the group this morning. It was our county's thanksgiving day parade, which ended in front of the coffee shop where we meet. Started as the Turkey float was coming around the corner, and finished to see the last couple dozen groups finish, including the two local HS marching bands, plus my neighbor who is running for state delegate. It's a huge parade with groups coming from all over the region, including many traditional south american dance groups. We finished up just as one group was finishing. The distance they covered was less than a mile, but I'm sure their workout was far more intensive.  And there were a couple of kids looking pretty amazing.

The rain hasn't started here yet-- AT, I hope your friend misses the worst of it.

qotd: Swim thing this morning before the run, then a XC awards potluck this afternoon. Tomorrow is free from any obligations. I am also going to make Pho at some point. We'll eat some now, and put some in the freezer for an easy dinner later. It belongs in the plans as it takes a while to make, but definitely worth it. Makes the house smell pretty good, too.

Daydreamer1

Spending the day at work just running to and fro. Unfortunately the wrong kind of running.

Didn't run yesterday either. Planned on doing so, but I think Wardens GI issues he had earlier in the week  blew east with the wind, except I didn't have it quite as bad.

For anyone impacted by the wind and rain this weekend be careful and watch out for falling trees.

QOTD:  Just working all weekend.

Hi folks.  I've been a little MIA.  Came down with bronchitis at the beginning of the month and popped something in my ribs from coughing.  No running for a while now, but I think I'm finally on the upswing again.  Went for a 3.5 mile walk today.  Nice sunny day.  Felt good to be outside again!  We had some rain earlier this week.  Hoping for more but nothing in sight for a while.   Sorry to everyone getting deluged who does not want to be...

QOTD: today, college football watching, tomorrow, yard work and house chores, followed by a crab fest at a friend's house.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Qotd: Piedmont 8-hour in Powhatan State Prak, VA. 25.65 miles in 7:17:58. Not enough time for another 2.85 mile lap at the pace I was running and walking by then. 19 of 32.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ nice work George Smile

6 miles this morning with DW and Tiny E- cool morning with temps in the mid 30's; strength trained this afternoon

qotd: hoping to go elk hunting in the morning

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thought I had a hangover but than started to think it was the flu.  I did win shuffke biard    Made some awesome lasgna and felt better.  We shall see tomorrow.  If felling good off fir a 15ish run along the american river...then back home for chores.

Sandy:  Pretty cool running Central Park...

Warden:  nice puc of yoy and the misses... and Tiny E looks like a gaint up there!

Gatsby:  Nice to see you back... I was wondering... where are you planning to race in the next year.  aren't you by Halfmoon?  If I cruised over there woukd you show me a cool place to run?

Wcrunner: nice job George

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

muppy

Nice job George!

6.6 miles around town last night.

Working and and watching football, possibly at the same time.....

GC100k

Checked on a former student who ran the JFK 50. He was so excited about it, it's a shame the weather sucked. But he finished in 10:39. No idea if he's happy with that, but he finished.

XtremeTaper

Probably no run today, unless I take the Lady for a spin around the block. Very windy with strong gusts so not going in the woods today. I did have a decent enough run yesterday. Just 5 miles at Coventry Woods up/down the hills. I thought it was pretty perfect weather, low 40's, grey and calm with some light rain halfway into the run. I was actually thinking it was perfect weather for JFK, but it turned out that rain didn't stop and in fact got heavier and heavier as the day wore on.

JFK popped into my mind as I have run that race 2 times, and it was 10 years ago that I ran it as my first 50 miler (2007). That summer and fall was the start of ultra-running for me after several years of hobby jogging and road marathons. It was really a magic year, even though my training started off with me getting over a case of PF. So many things went right, new adventures (starting the horseshoe trail run), and some great lead up races along the way. Blues Cruise 50k, MCM, and then a crazy taper where I was jacked, pumped, primed, and wired for JFK. For about 2 weeks I was bouncing off the ceiling ready to go. Definitely my best training cycle ever. Perfect weather for the race that year, cool, crisp, and calm. Ran the first 16 miles up to the AT, across the mountain and to the towpath just under 2:30, the towpath marathon just under  3:55, and the rolling roads to the finish around 1:15. Well under my 8 hour goal. I remember going back the following year and had no idea how I could better that race.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gatsby:  Nice to see you back... I was wondering... where are you planning to race in the next year.  aren't you by Halfmoon?  If I cruised over there woukd you show me a cool place to run?

Hiya Queen  I've just been hacking up gunk in my lungs, nothing too exciting.  I'm going to enter the TRT 50 lottery.   If I don't get in, maybe Siskiyou Out Back (if it isn't sold out).  Or maybe try for the Waldo 100k lottery.  I'm planning on Fort Ord 50k in Feb (couch to 50k in 10 weeks, yeehaw!).  Meeting some friends in Maine for for a 50k over Memorial Day weekend.  Other things TBD.  You?  Lots of good running around Half Moon Bay: Montana Mountain, Purissima Canyon, Huddart park, Wunderlich park... Come on down!  But give me a few weeks to get over this gunk.  If I get into TRT, I'll prob be up your way for some training runs too.

WC, nice job on the 8 hour run!

Warden, nice pics.  Is there a "big Elvis" as well as a "tiny Elvis"?  Or is big Elvis the big man himself?

Hi to everyone else.  Heading out for a walk.  Another gorgeous fall day.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

muppy

7.2 trail miles with 1100 feet gain on rolling hills yesterday before the rain.

QOTD I was informed that we are going shopping for Thanksgiving dinner tonight.

Daydreamer1

Really wanted to get in a run today but with sustained winds in the mid teens here at the house with gust into the 30s I think I'll just hit the elliptical for 30 minutes before going into work.  If i'm running in the sheltered areas then it's where there are a lot of dead trees and in the other areas it's open fields.  Not interested in risking the falling branches or battling the gusts today.

George - Had to look that race up. Looks like great area to run in.

LB2

I would have killed someone for a cold and rainy day a couple of weeks ago. I can run in that weather. I ran 5 easy miles today. I’ll start hitting it hard again this week. I would like to be able to finish one race this year.

QOTD: i just goofed off.

LB2