Trailer Trash

Solitary Run (Read 26 times)

moonlightrunner

I have not been posting much lately, but fortunately I have been running. The other night I ran, and want to share it with you. Friends who know what it is like to have an unexpected, very remarkable run.

The run began after work with blue skies and sunshine, something absent of late from the Michigan landscape. It started out feeling awkward. I have had some difficulty lately  running continuously  (way too much hiking this winter). This time though, I found a rhythm, though for probably 4 or 5 miles the feel was stilted and forced. As the sun began to set I stopped to take pictures of sky and landscape which transformed to hues of red and gold. The temperature was "February Warm", and the run began to feel good.

As I moved down the mostly wooded trail, gloom gathered close. The sky was clear and the moonlight fought with darkness as the sun's glow disappeared. The moonscape brightened, and the temperature dropped. I had no flashlight, so once darkness settled in, my run turned into a hike. Old eyes don't see as well in the dark, even with a bright moon shining. As I made my way down the trail, moon shadows appeared. Phantom tree trunks crisscrossed the path, bringing uncertainty to my steps as I hesitated to discern shadow from reality. My own moon shadow at times led and other times followed me down the twists and turns of the trail. It was just the two of us in the still and  strangely silent wood. In some places there was an inexplicable fragrance of the retreating winter, making room for the promise of spring.

As I ran, a song came to mind, or a fragment of a song. I fought to recall the words, and the few lines that came to mind meandered repeatedly through my head. It is actually a spoken segment of a song from my long ago youth. It went perfectly with the night.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
    Watch lights fade from every room
    Bedsitter people look back and lament
    Another day's useless energy spent

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
    Lonely man cries for love and has none
    New mother picks up and suckles her son
    Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
    Removes the colors from our sight
    Red is grey and yellow white
    But we decide which is right
    And which is an illusion?

"Nights in White Satin", Moody Blues, from Days of Future Passed

With fragments of the song teasing me, I walked down the now cold and silent trail, the stillness punctuated only by the wail of a distant train and a soft rustle  of my feet on soft, winter worn leaves. . It was a perfect run, on a perfect night. This was a run I hope I can recall when all the run has left my legs and only sweet memories of magic remain.

Thanks for letting me share. Happy trails and endless joy of running to all!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for sharing. Reminded me of something John M would have written.  Also nice to see the poem from one of my favorite songs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Nice, Moonlight.    That feeling that spring is coming is always a good feeling.

Running is dumb.

Gator eye

I heard it in my head as if the song was playin in the background

nice

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

very nice- thank you

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Nice. Thanks for posting.  There is something magical about running at night in the moonlight.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I love those moon shadows.  Thanks.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

Really nice, thanks.

It's a song from my long ago youth too.  As soon as I read "breathe deep..." I knew what was coming.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

That is wonderful! Brings back memories of some runs that I did a while back. I always enjoy the transition from day to night.

Thank you for sharing!

Run for fun.