Trailer Trash

Barkley Saturday (Read 21 times)

Keep Going

11.5 miles in the cold rain at Green Lane park tapering for Bull Run next weekend.

QOTD: Would you? Me personally no way in hell would I even think about attempting an event like the Barkley. I kinda like the idea of having the big mystery or question that never gets answered. A member of the trail running club I'm on is there and got in last night off the wait list so I shall follow his progress on FB from the couch! 

100 milers are my favorite

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

10 early this morning.  I was planning on a LR tomorrow AM but we're supposed to get high winds with gusts in the 50-60 mph range so that means I will not be running.  Maybe a hard workout at the gym.  Today I am in the midst of yard work.  I completely ripped out our landscaping (over the course of several weeks) and now it's tie to start building it back up.  Going this afternoon to pick up some landscaping rocks.  With all the rocks in PA, I am actually buying some...

QOTD: No way! I saw the movie on Netflix recently and it looks like 60 hours of hiking ...in a circle....looking for books....by yourself...so no thanks.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

2.25 miles along the rail trail with the 5 yr old.  Last run of our visit since we're leaving tomorrow.  DS found a couple of ticks-- guess it's that time of year now.   Looking forward to getting home and back into a normal schedule, including running.

qotd:  nope, and I like the idea of watching from the sidelines, and reading the stories afterwards.  I need to watch the movie soon.

AT-runner

Tim

Explored a new (old) trail today in Michaux (which is very rare for me to find one).  I was studying an older Google Earth picture, that was taken on 3/30/2007 with no leaves in the way, and I could make out this trail that connected two areas that I frequent. It was fun to explore a bit and took a few minutes to find it, but then after about 100 yards it became a very nice single track, typical of PA with plenty of roots and rocks. At the far end the trail it got hard to follow and then dumped into another section that I run.  I don't plan on telling any MTB'ers where it is, and will let a few running buddies know.  It was maybe 2 miles, but gives me some options in that area to connect sections together.

QOTD:  Yes, I'd do it.  I've done plenty of adventure races and navigation is a big part of those and I always liked the challenge of navigating when you are very tired.  I agree it's a long hike and not a run, but would be fun to try. Warden would probably do well with all of is navigational adventures.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

5.6 road miles around town.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

QOTD Nope! I can see why people do it, but I've never had a desire to.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Mix and match today - 6 miles on easy single track trails followed by 6 x 1/4 mile on a paved path.

QOTD2 from yesterday: much improved March from January and February - 140 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

13.1 to 13.5 miles at Mile Run today. It's listed as a 1/2 marathon but the e-mail they sent out indicated that it was closer to the 13.5 miles. Things went well, spitting some rain and breezy at the beginning. During the race it was alternately cool, then real nice.  Finished in 2:45 and change on my watch which shouldn't be too far off from the official time. I'll try to put together a brief RR later this week end.

Keystone - Nice to hear from you. When I saw you posted I thought that maybe it was about Mile Run. There was a guy there that looked a lot like you. Pretty big crowd so I wasn't able to get close enough to tell for sure.

Jamie - I'm not sure if the DCNR would have any problems with you picking up rocks or not. You could always tell them you're making room for more to grow  .

Runtrail - So it's tick season already. I just started to spray all my running stuff with Permethrin.

AT  - I'm sure the MTB'ers would open it up a little for you.

Muppy - It's been a good weekend so far. I'm just hoping the winds tonight and tomorrow don't blow everything down.

wc - Wish we had some "easy" single track around here. By that I mean something without a lot of roots and rocks.

QOTD: I'll admit that I don't follow the Barkley events at all. The little I have for some reason they leave a bad impression.  Maybe it's because it seems to me like they are marketed as a running event. One that is designed so no runner can complete it,  when in reality they are an adventure race.  I actually like following adventure races and always thought that it would be cool to do one.Several years back there was a Adventure race that was on TV, I forget the name, but I'd always watch that.  So I wouldn't do the Barkley and I don't follow it.  Maybe it's my perception of the event that's skewed.

Keystone, How is your friend approaching it?  As a difficult trail run, or as an adventure race?

Keep Going

13.1 to 13.5 miles at Mile Run today. It's listed as a 1/2 marathon but the e-mail they sent out indicated that it was closer to the 13.5 miles. Things went well, spitting some rain and breezy at the beginning. During the race it was alternately cool, then real nice.  Finished in 2:45 and change on my watch which shouldn't be too far off from the official time. I'll try to put together a brief RR later this week end.

Keystone - Nice to hear from you. When I saw you posted I thought that maybe it was about Mile Run. There was a guy there that looked a lot like you. Pretty big crowd so I wasn't able to get close enough to tell for sure.

Jamie - I'm not sure if the DCNR would have any problems with you picking up rocks or not. You could always tell them you're making room for more to grow  .

Runtrail - So it's tick season already. I just started to spray all my running stuff with Permethrin.

AT  - I'm sure the MTB'ers would open it up a little for you.

Muppy - It's been a good weekend so far. I'm just hoping the winds tonight and tomorrow don't blow everything down.

wc - Wish we had some "easy" single track around here. By that I mean something without a lot of roots and rocks.

QOTD: I'll admit that I don't follow the Barkley events at all. The little I have for some reason they leave a bad impression.  Maybe it's because it seems to me like they are marketed as a running event. One that is designed so no runner can complete it,  when in reality they are an adventure race.  I actually like following adventure races and always thought that it would be cool to do one.Several years back there was a Adventure race that was on TV, I forget the name, but I'd always watch that.  So I wouldn't do the Barkley and I don't follow it.  Maybe it's my perception of the event that's skewed.

Keystone, How is your friend approaching it?  As a difficult trail run, or as an adventure race?

Thanks Dreamer! Honestly I have no clue what is approach is. He kept his entry super secret and we only got a hint when his wife was posting from TN! He's an ex Filipino army ranger and did Bigfoot 200 last which is also basically a hike and he said that. He's badass and I actually think he could get at least the Fun Run or 3 loops in. It's fun waiting for his wife to post updates. None really so far though.

100 milers are my favorite

Sandy-2

SRD.

qotd:  I've thought about it, but that's about as far as it went. So I guess that's a "no".

tbd.