Trailer Trash

Marathon Mondaily (Read 20 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Barkley Marathons that is.

Trying to follow it but it's hard since there are just twitter comments and FB comments.  Looks like there are two on the final loop and the time cutoff is 1:42pm and it's storming pretty bad there now.  I still cannot fathom the insanity of doing this crazy loop x5.

I ran 5 last night, felt pretty good. The weekend was meant to get some work done on our pantry closet in the basement.  I did get some done but did not finish it.  Such is life, lots of projects started, few finished.

QOTD: Keeping with the spirit of Barkley - have you contemplated (serious or not so serious) trying something that you know if beyond your capabilities? Could be running, hiking, biking, anything really...

While I would love to do Hardrock, I know it's beyond what I think I could do.  I would also love to thru hike the AT.  Not sure I have either in me but I can dream.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Morning folks. Nice sunny day here for a rest day. I got in 7 miles yesterday-- part C&O canal and part mtn biking trails along the river.  Will get some much needed yoga in today.

Also, just found out a brand new county rec center is being built a mile from our house! An olympic sized pool and hydroptherapy spas. By the time it will be complete, younger DS will be heading to college but it's good news for DH and me.

Half-heartedly following the Barkley, because of the same issues Jamie raised.

qotd: Hmm, nothing big comes to mind. My threshold for trying to do something is the usual risk management questions-- Is it likely I could die? Or seriously hurt myself? If the odds are in my favor of then I think I can do something.  Unless, of course, the discomfort level is going to be high (i.e. the Barkley).  then,I'm less interested. 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a nice weekend of snowshoeing (Sat) and running (Sun), now it's back to the grind of work 

strength train this evening

Friday's gotd: 158 miles (counting 14 brutal snowshoeing miles)- pretty happy with that

qotd: the R2R2R I did several years back I was way over my head (and knew it)- I think my longest run to that point was less than 20 miles; I suffered as expected, but not too worse for the wear; I tend to stretch my abilities a little, just try not to stretch them too far 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I got in about 60 miles of biking over the weekend - not too shabby.  Now I just need to get through this week before I have my stay-cation next week.  (I have vacation time I need to use up at work before I lose it.)

We've been following the Barkley all weekend too.  The weather looks nasty out there right now.  I wonder if anyone will finish this year or if the rain will win.

QOTD: I'm pretty cautious, so I don't think I would start anything that was completely beyond my abilities.  I've started things on that were on the edge of my abilities and succeeded.  I don't think a thru hike is beyond anyone, really.  It's just walking, right?    But seriously, as long as the injury gods smile down on you, there's no reason why you physically couldn't complete a thru hike.  As for Hardrock/Barkley/etc, the desire for me just isn't there.  I think you have to live and breathe those things in order to finish.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Long drive back from South Carolina on Saturday and got out on the AT yesterday for 8 miles of fun.  Saw another running couple out there, which is a rare sighting. Stopped to talk with them and they were just starting to run trials. Told them if they can run the PA sections of the AT, they can run any trail.

Did anyone do or see any good April Fools jokes?

QOTD:  Don't temp me, that's how I get into trouble. I'll try anything even if risky.  After last years Sole Challenge, I told DW that since that race is usually so hot, I would probably just do the 12 hour race from now on. Then the RD calls me and says he thinking of adding a 48hr to the race, and I say I'm in. DW said your crazy, but I'm in too.

Barkley's - I'd love to do a loop just to experience it.  Leadville and Hardrock - love to try them, but I would have to take a week or more off to get used to altitude, that's what worries me the most about those races.  I did Pikes Peak and felt like a fish out of water since we flew in the day before the race.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

SRD.  Did the longest "run" of the year yesterday. Did my normal section of the AT.  Did 13.2 miles. Some power hiking, some bouldering, some running and a lot of shuffling.  Started with a sore left ankle, put my brace on 1/2 way thru then proceeded to beat up the right one. No twists or rolls, just overwork. Barely was able to hobble into the house when I got home. Feels pretty good today.

Hammer nutrition is going to be adding bacon to all their supplements . Sounds like they are finally getting it right. They announced that on April 1st in case you all missed it.

Got permission over the weekend to do another race. This one will be the end of May. It's a 6 hour timed event. But shhhhh...........don't tell AT. I figure that by the time I get there he will have been running for 24 hours and I can sneak up on him and yell boo. Get him motivated .  And that's probably my only hope of outrunning him .

QOTD:  Of course I have. Well in one sense I have. I always set my goals too high. I still want to do a R2R2R. That will be tough for me to train enough to get it done and feel decent.  I guess I've never really  seriously contemplated doing something that  I flat out know I could never succeed at. The Barkley's  would fall into that  category.

AT-runner

Tim

Got permission over the weekend to do another race. This one will be the end of May. It's a 6 hour timed event. But shhhhh...........don't tell AT. I figure that by the time I get there he will have been running for 24 hours and I can sneak up on him and yell boo. Get him motivated .  And that's probably my only hope of outrunning him .

AWESOME !!!

We'll have a tent set up, and hope you hang a bit and watch the carnage.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

Yes, I have been following Barkley off-and-on this weekend.  The only two left, Gary Robbins and John Kelly arrived after loop 4 together at around 12:08 am EDT Monday, I guess they left on the final loop 5 at the same time but of course in separate directions as the "rules" dictate. As Mr Jamie said, the cutoff time is 1:42 pm EDT Monday.

This link has a good summary so far:  http://runningmagazine.ca/2017-barkley-marathons-day-two-update/

I did 7 mi last night, after running in sand on Saturday, my legs were kinda dead last night.  But in a good way.  Today is a SRD.

qotd: 3 weeks after doing the Bighorn 100 mile I attempted Hardrock 100 mile.  That's because I didn't get off the HR waitlist until just beforehand.  Well.... I did make it to mile 85 at HR. I've been trying to get back into HR ever since, this time I won't plan a hondo just before.

April fools: I liked the one about selling the Barkley Marathons.  Didn't see the Hammer and bacon, but that does sound good.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

Monday is an SRD, but I did wade for two miles trying to see if I could hear a turkey gobble across from my house. I heard him before the season, but I haven't really listened there too much around daylight since then. We got hammered all night with violent storms. In my experience, they usually get pretty fired up after a night of lightning, rain, and wind. Most people don't realize that because they stay home. I have killed tons of turkeys after storms. However, these storms may have been a little too much. I had limbs falling left and right through the woods. Anyway, I think this morning was the first morning of turkey hunting in about 10 to 12 years where I made no contact whatsoever with a turkey. I'm sorry to see that streak end, but it was a hell of a run. Heading to Denver tomorrow for a few days to visit my daughter.

QOTD: Hardrock is something I would be interested in, but I have no real desire to attempt Barkley's for a few reasons:

1. I don't particularly care for loop courses.

2. The RD seems like a jerk. Of course, I think that is by design, which i get. It just doesn't interest me.

3. There are too many saw briars on that course.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Barkley is over.  John Kelly in under 60 hours.  Gary Robbins apparently came in 6 second OVER 60 hours.  Crazy!!!!

AT: I saw a cool Aprils Fools Joke on FB.  Guy I know who has legitimately sold some stuff on FB posted that he had some flat screens for sale.  Even listed the screen sizes and some very good prices.  Said pictures would be in comments sections.  Well turns out they were window screens not TVs.  The way he has it worded, it was mostly believable.  Wasn't originally his idea but as I said, because of his history of selling some things, people took the bait.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Probably do a rest day as I am beat though the weather right now is better than the original forecast. Still a day of rest would be better for me than a few more miles so we'll see. (must control my obsessive impulses) Maybe just weights and a little elliptical. Maybe. 

but I have no real desire to attempt Barkley's for a few reasons:

2. The RD seems like a jerk. Of course, I think that is by design, which i get. It just doesn't interest me.

I have a couple of my real old running buds who did a race put on by him many years ago (Strolling Jim, I think) and think his behavior is/was cool and almost idolize him. I personally have no use for that BS myself and am with you.

I spent a couple days a few years ago running in Frozen Head and that's good enough for me.

QOTD--Off the top of my head only some whitewater kayaking and a little canoeing where I knew I had took too big of a bite. After one near fatal experience I have scaled that stuff waaay back.

DNF---aka Do Nothing Fatal.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I did not get out of bed so will attempt a run after work.  I signed up for a 30K thinking I had plenty of time to train but now realize it's less than 3 weeks away.  In the old days those three weeks would have been taper weeks at least for the long runs.  Now them seem to be beginning training days.   On a side note we are having some awesome weather!   On another side note I did my heel drop exercises last night and thought my heel felt great this am..  ...

QOTD:  No everything I start I assume I will be able to do, maybe not successfully but get though it some how pretty good.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Barkley is over.  John Kelly in under 60 hours.  Gary Robbins apparently came in 6 second OVER 60 hours.  Crazy!!!!

Did you see the video out there on Facebook?  He collapses at the gate and starts possibly half deliriously mumbling about how he has all the pages.  That poor guy.

Running is dumb.

NHLA

Rest day.

northern harrier  green river is a great place for kayaking. The narrows are a three mile waterfall. class 5. At the bottom of the gourge its easy. Only one class three for eight miles.

qotd  I would like to run the entire Art Lobe Trail. 39 miles. Hardest trail in NC. Need to find somebody crazy enough to run it with me.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

DNF---aka Do Nothing Fatal.

I like this 

NHLA- if I was closer I'd give it a whirl with you 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √