Trailer Trash

Extremely Saturday (Read 33 times)

Sandy-2

Had a really nice 15 miler up on my Korean mountain this morning.  It was one of those nice and pleasant runs (see yesterday's qotd).  Still exploring the trail system, some I know well, some I just head down to see where they will go.  I just make sure I have my two handhelds, s-caps and gels along with some money to replenish or take a taxi back if I wind up on the wrong side of the mountain and too far away from home.  But I have to admit that is one of the things I like about running long distances, sometimes limits don't apply to us.

The trails are really great there and it is funny sometimes they remind me of trails I've run. Today there were parts that reminded me of rocky trails in central PA (near FTYC), a quiet road near Fish Hatchery at Leadville, a smooth trail at Western States, rocks at Cactus Rose, technical rocks and roots at Pinhoti and even some flat bits at Rocky Raccoon.

Within all of that I had another little experience, I wanted to head to the east and hit the next beach on the coast line, so I headed down off the mountain in that direction, going down this concrete road for about a mile, we're talking an extreme down hill for a mile - I was flying.  After all those nice trails and now a screaming downhill it was just one of those runs....  then I come around a corner and see a guard house, nearby was a mounted missile (like on display, not a launch pad) ....  hmmm what's up with that?  Well the two guys in the guard house with AK47s convinced me that I couldn't get to the beach using the concrete road I was on and that I'd have to turn around and go back up the hill to the last Temple I had seen and head down the next valley.  Mind you I was speaking English and they were speaking Korean, but with those two fierce-looking guns held waist high at the ready I got the message loud and clear.  The fact that they were baby-faced 20-somethings also weighed on my mind.  So we said our good-byes and away I went back up the hill, muttering to myself "this is a really good training hill".  Did I say I was having a pleasant run? Yup, nothing was going to change my mood this morning. Even a few extremes.

Here's a photo of the 'mountain' taken from my 'temporary' apartment. There are some false peaks in the foreground and the very top is about 5 miles away, I think it's only about 2,000 ft elevation. Nice trails up there.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

charlesmoman

I will do my normal PT workout of 2.5 hours or so - twice today - and get in maybe a 3-4 mile trail run. A new cross country course has been made at a park by the airport and it works well for me when I don't have time to go our nearby National Wildlife Refuge. It is part grass and part trail with a few nice ups and downs. This week I began actual running for the first time since last  March, with a ratio of 2 minutes of running and then 4-5 minutes of walking to ease back into the process. It now does not hurt when I run, but I am needing to rebuild my stamina. Next weekend I have the Tunnel Hill 50 miler in southern Illinois and I plan on running as much as I can.

Good times.

runtraildc

Morning!  I've gotten in a couple of very short runs in the neighborhood the last couple of days.  Family is visiting, so busy, busy.  I don't know what's in store for today, but I hope to get to the gym later for a quick strength workout.  Tomorrow I'm running a road 10k, but it's on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (the span is 4 miles long) and I'm looking forward to it.

Sandy-- great photo!  And glad there was no misunderstanding.

NorthernHarrier

Heading north in a few minutes towards the shack. I will make a little side trip at Minocqua to do a little 5k trail race called the Buck Rut 5k, Way back in time I did this thing a few times so it will be fun to revisit it. They have had light snowfall the last few days so I dedicated a pair of shoes for the screws and will take them along just in case. But again it is just a 5k. Who needs ultras anyway?     I'll run long tomorrow and do some lumberjack stuff too.  Heavy snow on tap up there next week. Don't think I'm quite ready for this real winter stuff.

QOTD--Seen any good bumper stickers lately?  Saw one yesterday-- "gravity always wins".

Occasional Runner

Heading out in a few minutes for the Moab Trail Marathon. This is a training run for me, so I don't have any great aspirations other than to try and enjoy the trails.

I hope you all have a great day!

QOTD: Nothing comes to mind.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

As this is a weekend day off for me, which is very rare, we celebrated by having bagels and lox for breakfast. Now things need a little bit of time to settle before I can head out for a nice long run. The weather is perfect, cold (30's now) with clear skies, so it should be a nice run.

Sandy: looks just gorgeous. It is always nice to discover new trails, but your encounter with the guards sure was an exciting detail that does not come up often. Did the other road lead to the same beach, or a different one?

Charles: Way to go! Running without pain sure is worth enduring that extended healing period. I hope you'll keep building up strength and stamina quickly.

I just read the results of a 48-hr race, and there was a guy who had run just one loop (one mile) for that race. Made me think of you. As strange as it looks in a results list, there is always a story behind a "DFL", and often a lot of work and willpower behind a seemingly "weak" performance. Good luck for the 50M. Never give up, and you are a glowing example for this.

traildc: Must be fun running over that bridge, not something that's possible any time other than in a race. Enjoy!

Harrier: Running just for the fun of it makes a lot of sense. Enjoy the outdoors, and maybe some snow!

Kelly: Good luck for the marathon. As it is a training race, don't make us all look stupid and set a new course record...

QOTD: I saw one on a car yesterday that made me laugh out loud, but I forgot what it said...

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

Good morning! I am caring for my two adorable grandchildren until 3 while my DD works. THEN...I either will head out for a run....or...as I should do...go help my parents pack up from their craft show. I really would rather run....just too much to do.

Thanks everyone for the stories from yesterday's qotd. They were all great stories.

Anyone cooking anything tasty today(this being Comfort Food Season and all)? I made a yummy Chicken Enchilada Casserole today. Yum! I might make some cornbread to go with.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

LB2

AK-47's speak all languages fluently, Sandy. Mostly, they say one of two things: Go or Stop.

No run again today, but all the redness and swelling are gone from the cellulitis. I may do a few tomorrow, not sure yet.

QOTD: Nothing on the bumper stickers lately.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good morning! I am caring for my two adorable grandchildren until 3 while my DD works. THEN...I either will head out for a run....or...as I should do...go help my parents pack up from their craft show. I really would rather run....just too much to do.

Thanks everyone for the stories from yesterday's qotd. They were all great stories.

Anyone cooking anything tasty today(this being Comfort Food Season and all)? I made a yummy Chicken Enchilada Casserole today. Yum! I might make some cornbread to go with.

Maybe cheat a little and get out for a run... just saying'...

Lemon-lime pie and pommegranate muffins on the plan today. Have to use up some leftovers.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

Did not see the qotd earlier. I don't see a lot of bumper stickers. When I do they are mostly kinda redneck (pro gun) often on 4. Wheel drive  trucks with metal testicles hanging from a trailer hitch.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

7.4 for me - -0.7 with the dog and 6.7 trail miles with HATRs in Mercer park.  Was last as usual, but had a good time crunching through the leaves.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

AT-runner

Tim

20 miles out and back on some logging roads.  Few trucks were out with hunters, and saw 4 other runners, which rarely happens, so that was nice.  Faster pace for me for a 20, but my friend is a stronger runner, so it was good to be pushed a bit.

I plan on getting my AS work done at the JFK, and meeting him for the last 16 miles.  It's his first 50, and he is very worried about the last hills on the road section for the JFK.  I told him he'll be so happy to see a hill after the boredom of the C&O section, but he's worried.

Sandy - Yikes.

LB2 - saw a hunter carrying a very large turkey back to his truck.  Thought of you right away.  Looks like he's got his Thanksgiving supper all set.

moon -   How old are the grandmoon's?  Baby jogger stroller run?

QOTD #1 - When I was voting Tuesday, saw a bumper sticker that said "Monica Lewinsky's Ex-boyfriends Wife For President".  That gave me a chuckle.

QOTD #2 - Made a turkey, bacon and tomato omelet after my run.  It was delicious.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Been feeling very tired out the past several days for some reason. Actually I know why I feel this way. I'm now being forced to get the flu shot at work and they always make me half sick for a week or two so here I am feeling tired, achy, and with a sore throat.

Have to mount a new scope for DD's hunting rifle and help her sight it in, then I'm planning on a slow 7-8 mile run.

QOTD:  Several weeks ago I was just thinking that I haven't really seen many good bumper stickers lately.  Lately it's just mostly been people advertising their favorite liar, er, I mean Politician!!!!!

some call me Tim

One week of scheduled rest done and celebrated with couple miles of hiking - all the clay in the soil around here means the trails are soup, but it was fun anyway.

Speaking of which, I just finished up a dynamite butternut squash soup. I love that stuff this time of year and recently discovered that a little fennel seed really does a lot for this one.

other QOTD: I recently saw one with a stick figure humping the word 'cancer' that I thought was pretty good

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a nice 19 mile run in this morning, bagging Stewart Peak in the Rattlesnake Wilderness, major snow up top- post holing is hard

going to a trail running film festival this evening, should be interetsing

qotd: nothing

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √