Trailer Trash

End 'O summer Weekender (Read 16 times)

Daydreamer1

Yea I know summer really ends the 22nd but around here it feels like it's ended. Worked last night and walked out of the station this morning and it was so chilly I thought that I'd have frost on the car. Supposedly it was 44 degrees. Currently 54 degrees and raining. Average temps are supposed to be low of 60, high of 79.

Probably going on the elliptical later this evening and doing some strength training. If the rain blows through I might do a short walk with DW as well. Need to work in some strength training. I'm starting to feel like the Pillsbury Dough boy.

UTMB - Looks like D'Haene won with Killian 2nd and Walmsley in 5th about a hour back.  A 5th place finish might actually be good for Jim. In some of his previous races it seemed like if he wasn't leading he fell apart. Doesn't appear to be the case here but then I don't know when he lost the lead so that will tell the story.  Looks like it was a pretty decent day for the USA with 3 in the top ten.

Now for your PSA for the week. If you have a hernia get it repaired!!!! Now.  Several months ago one of my co-workers had one blow out on him but didn't rupture. Then I heard about several patients that we had throughout the company where theirs strangulated and they had to be rushed to the OR and were in bad shape. Then another co-worker that had one had his rupture and almost died and may be off work for a year or more.  Now we just heard that the youngest brother of my BIL that has the cancer, had one rupture and he died. He was 48. I didn't really know him and hadn't seen him in years.  So it seems like it's not a good thing to let hernias go unrepaired.

QOTD:  Weekend plans?  I need to live vicariously through y'all.  For some reason I decided to work the entire weekend .  Worked last night and will follow that up with working tomorrow then Monday.  Did it because of going on vacation later this month. At least it's overtime for me.

Sandy-2

Hi Daydreamer, actually there were 4 US men in the top 10 at UTMB. Great showing. irunfar mentioned that Walmsley may have had stomach issues about 3/4 of the way into it and faded back to 5th, still a great showing.  Though not first US finisher which was third overall Tim Tollefson (3rd place two years in a row now).

I did 17 mi this morning.  It was foggy, soggy and humid, still summer down here. There were also some bad smells left over at some of the flooded low spots. Mixture of mud, sewer, dead animals, fish, downed oak and pine trees, arm pits, etc. (ok the arm pits might have been me... and the tree smells were good) fortunately it was only in just a few spots along my 17 miles.

qotd: Just kinda hanging out this weekend, doing some stuff around the house and going out to dinner at some point.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Today was to be mad chore day with temps of over 100 outside...woke up with a headache (only had 3 beers last night!!!) so thinking of taking a nap to get rid of that.  Maybe a little jooggy as the sun sets.  Tomorrow doing about 13 on the Flume Trail in lake Tahoe.  Then home to finish chires.  The DH is at a VW swap meet Sat and Sun and then biating Monday.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ran a wet muddy 14 on the AT this morning. Saw dozens of runners out and a few hikers.

Killian actually did not win a race?? Amazing

QOTD: Hike with the family on Monday...thats it.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Blergh, summer just got here. 90s in Half Moon Bay yesterday through Monday.  Hot temps in Sept and Oct are normal for us but this is a little ridiculous.

5.3 miles on the coastal trail.  Beach looked like a scene from The Birds.

QOTD: Went to a Giants game last night, chores and college football today, family coming to visit tomorrow.  Nothing too exciting on tap.  Except some good beer.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

runtraildc

Hi all- 5 soggy miles this morning with the running group. There was no avoiding the rain today as the dregs of Harvey are passing they. It was a light running week in cape cod, but did get a trail run in the state park and also managed to avoid getting poison ivy. Not easy

qotd: school starts in Tuesday so getting ready for that.  And our house needs a post-summer deep clean.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

nice 12 mile run this morning, smoke was Moderate which has become the new good Smile  this is one of my favorite 12 mile runs- it's an out and back with some really nice scenery, a good mix of ups and downs and plenty of technical stuff to keep you on your toes.  I was apprehensive to run it this morning as we had a fire very close to town in this area and I had no idea how or if the trail was impacted, it was closed for numerous days.  As it turns out the fire was about a 1/2 mile away as the crow flies (you can see the black scorched on the top of the middle ridge in the picture) and no impact at all to the trail- thankfully.  The trail was named for a local gal who was very involved in securing public trails in the Helena area and sadly lost a battle to cancer too early in life.  Her memory lives on with this trail.

re: UTMB- I don't know if the course was altered this year, but if not several folks would have broken the old course record; appears to be the strongest field ever for this event

qotd: going to grill ribeyes here in a minute, while enjoying a nice cold Red Lodge Brewing Bent Nail IPA 

if the smoke stays in the Moderate level the next couple of days, would like to get another 12 mile run in tomorrow morning and a good mountain hike in Monday (we actually cool 20 degrees, unfortunately just one day )

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

Ran Apple festival 8k 40 min. 2nd AG. This is our oldest and biggest race. Saw lots of old running buddies. Tough course. Ran the first 3 miles in 25 min then slowed down a little. So many hills you lose your will. Over 300000 people expected for festival. They had a good band tonight.

Qotd  festival last till Monday so more beer and street food.

LB2

I think I ran 5 on Saturday. I'll run about 10 today, later. Or I may do 20 today and 20 tomorrow. I will probably do 10 today and 30 tomorrow.

On UTMB, Killian, D'Haene, and Walmsley were pretty much together or just barely separated through 100K of the race. I went to bed, and when I awoke, things had spread out a bit. The US had some solid runs there this weekend. I think it is important, especially if you are an exceptional talent, to be humbled a few times to make you better. I think Walmsley has learned a great deal over the past year or so, and I suspect he will master the 100 mile distance soon.

QOTD: I spent yesterday looking at new vehicles with my wife and having a nice late lunch/early dinner with her at a place called Hot Tails in New Roads, La. If you are ever there (hard to imagine you would be), it is worth checking out. It is sort of a dive, but it is meant to look like a dive. Trump might call it a fake dive. But one thing is for sure, the food is excellent. They have a strong local brew selection on tap compared to other places in the area. The key word in the previous sentence is "compared" because most will have Bud Light, Coors Light, Michelob Ultra, and maybe a regular Bud or a Shock Top or something.

Oh yeah, and I bought a 2017 Dodge Big Horn Truck. I was going to wait. It was the truck I wanted. So, I said screw it. For once in my life, I have absolutely no buyer's remorse. We got a decent deal, and everyone left happy.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Put in 40 minutes on the elliptical last night and want to do the same after work tonight if I get out on time.  Legs are a little sore so that shows that it was a decent workout even though I was watching TV and didn't push real hard.

Sandy -  Don't know how I missed that it was 4. Guess I better learn how to count again .  I was looking at some of the pictures from down there. I'm sure there will be some from our church that will head down there to help with the rebuilding. I'd love to do something like that but unfortunately it's about impossible for me to get off on short notice.

Gatsby - At first I thought that was a bunch of people on the beach . Then I enlarged it and saw it was indeed a bunch of birds. Either I need new glasses, new eyes or a better computer.

NHLA - 300,000?  Wow!  That's a lot of people. All that street food and beer means more running to burn the calories.

LB2 - Is it lifted with big tires?  I didn't have any buyers  remorse either right after I bought my Impreza sport. Now it's kicked in and I'm thinking I should have gotten a WRX instead.  Old guys need more power and I'm not happy with the engine in the Sport.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

NHLA- congrats on the great finish!

LB2- pics?

this is going to limit what I do today- red= no good (Unhealthy), sad but looks like a treadmill workout 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Ran in some hard rain yesterday. Was 48° and broke out the gloves and vest for the first time in a while. Was raining at the start, but once we got going we settled into the weather. We stopped at 5 miles because DW and I  ere both getting pretty cold. Yay for heated seats.

NHLA - You're cleaning up on the AG awards.

DD - how do you like the elliptical? Any time I use one, my back hurts, probably from poor form, even though I try to stay neutral with my posture.

LB - I looked at the Ram's before I bought my Ridgeline.  Nice ride, but I decided on a smaller truck since I have a trailer for big stuff.

Warden - any tremors out your way with the Idaho quakes?  My niece in Ogden, UT felt it. Better get those fires and weather under control, we'll be out in 16 days.

QOTD:  College football most of yesterday and met DD#2's boyfriends' parents for the first time.  Today, I'm closing the pool and DW is smoking a brisket and some sausages. No run today, but we're going for an AT run tomorrow.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

no tremors here; we had a pretty "good" one about six weeks ago though

long range forecast (two weeks out) shows a cooling trend, but still not seeing much in the way for moisture- fingers crossed

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

20 mi this morning. It was warmer than yesterday, but a spec less humid so that was good.  Felt pretty good today, wore a brand new pair of shoes, figured I make sure they were good for the run next month.

mt, darn I hope the smoke clears at some point soon.

DD, yeah there are piles of soggy sheetrock and other junk everywhere that there used to be water.

LB2, nice truck as they say good luck with it. We need a photo.

NHLA, nice job at the run, and street food after... bonus.

D.C., you can keep Harvey!!!

Gasby, cool photo I guess it was noisy too.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

DD - how do you like the elliptical? Any time I use one, my back hurts, probably from poor form, even though I try to stay neutral with my posture.

If I'm in the mood for a good workout I love it. If I want to take it easy I hate it.  It's a Vision 7200 Suspension so it can be raised and lowered and at it's highest position it's more like a stepper than an elliptical.  To me it has a totally different feel from the regular ellipticals at the gym. I don't like those.  This one is really good for climb training.