Trailer Trash

It's not quite the weekend Thursdaily (Read 32 times)

runtraildc

Morning folks!  Another spring-like day here in the DC region.  The snow is almost gone!   Have plans for a lunch yoga class and speed intervals on the treadmill.  Yes, inside .   I'll spend my time outside doing other stuff.

qotd:  What's the most beautiful place you have seen?  For me, although it's hard to pick the 'most' beautiful, what jumps to mind first is Kodiak Island in Alaska.  I spent a lot of time both on the island itself and fishing the waters surrounding.  Bears, otters, whales, halibut, snowy mountains and water.  What more could you ask for?   Second runner up?  Isle Royale NP in Lake Superior.  Ok, Lake superior anywhere.

hog4life

7.5 yesterday and looking for the same today.

QOTD, I don't have much to report here as I haven't been many places, but I would have to say The Smoky Mountains.

Well the thaw has been kicking in in earnest. All north facing slopes are still covered with snow or ice, but flat places and south facing slopes are getting pretty bare. We did run one really treacherous section where Marley almost slid off of a sheer drop. Scared the heck out of me but didn't seem to phase her.

We ran 4 miles and it is coming to my attention that spikes don't last forever when you run where there is exposed rock. It was pretty dicey and on hindsight I should have avoided that section. I will see if I can sharpen the spikes or if they need to be retired soon. Either way they have been well worth what they cost even if they are worn out. They still work better than Yak Trax, but aren't even close to what they were new. I guess I won't need them in Florida, but will still travel to mountains and snow and ice.  Anyone here have much luck sharpening micro spikes?  Mine are pretty worn down.

QOTD:  It is hard to say which was best.  I have been to some crazy beautiful places.  I guess some of the spots on the John Muir Trail would be likely candidates though.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

I need to get in a long, hilly run sometime today. The problem is I have several things that are breaking up my day into tiny bits only giving me small windows to do it in.  At this point it's looking like I'll have to wait until this evening. Hopefully I'll be able to get in a 8-10 miler then.

QOTD: Hmmm.... Not exactly sure how to answer this. So many places, so much varied beauty.

At the top of the list I would have to put Valdez Alaska, and the Jasper-Banff area of British Columbia. I loved the mountains in both of those areas.  The Pictured Rocks area of Lake Superior was really nice and I'd love to explore more in that area.  While I'm thinking about those areas my mind is also drawn much further south to the Grand Canyon. There is something about the Canyon that draws me back. Northern PA and Eastern TN are also very nice.

When I think of all the areas I've seen I feel very blessed to have been able to travel as much as I have.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

7 very hilly miles with PrairieRunner last night.  700+ feet elevation gain on a road run.  Ouch.  He kicked my ass and we averaged 10:12mm for the run.  Tonight I plan on running a *very* easy 5 miler -- my first time running 3 days in a row post-surgery.  Yikes!

QOTD: I suppose my default answer is Glacier National Park.  However, I think I have to pick something more local.  The mountains are beautiful and majestic, but I'm still from the Midwest.  The Superior Hiking Trail as it runs parallel to Lake Superior is one of my favorite places in the world.  A different kind of beauty -- one that feels like home.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

My morning run did not happen, due to a very sore throat, and in hindsight I'm glad that it didn't, because DH started work earlier than I thought, and I would have been back late, making him late for work. So I guess that was a good thing. Planning on a few miles when DD comes home from school, and I can leave the boys with her.

And... getting my hair done this afternoon. Might be a nice change from running. 

TT: Glad that both of you are still around, on the up side of the cliff. Isn't it strange how dogs don't seem to think through all the "what if"'s? Just happy go lucky.

QOTD: Very hard to say, as I've been to so many beautiful places. Austrian mountain lakes take a front spot, but at the same time, some rock formations in the American Southwest (GC, Arches, Bryce Canyon NPs), and some places in the Japanese Alps are also stunning in very different ways. Reading through this, I notice that I like rugged rocks, cliffs and mountains best. 

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I am going to run 5 at lunch today..

QOTD:  Shit!  that is a hard one..so many beautiful places....First one to jump to mine is Monument Valley, but maybe because I was looking at a picture last night a remembered how magical it is when the sun sets there.  So I am going to say the redwood forest in Nor Cal.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Taking a few days off to let the calf heal up. It isn't strained, but it won't get better if I keep running on it.

I'm flying back to Korea today and tomorrow so I can't run anyway, so..... the timing for a little rest is good. BTW, love hearing that announcement "... our flight time to Narita is 13 hours and 30 minutes..."  grrrrr. Not sure what I'll do next week since I'm off to Singapore. We'll see.

"See ya" in a few days.

qotd: I have no idea, Arizona, Colorado, California, Thiland, Korea, Italy, Norway, Denmark, New Zealand.... come to mind right away.

tbd.

LB2

I actually was able to run 2.5 miles yesterday after work with the pup. It was raining, but I had to get out. Two days off is about all I can take.

QOTD: Probably Norway. Although, I have been to some places in the Sierra Nevada's that were certainly breathtaking, literally and figuratively. I would have to go with Norway, though. I loved those jagged peaks rising up from the fjords. I didn't always appreciate the beauty of some of the places I got to travel to when I was in the Marines.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Happy Thursday.  Ran on actual trails today!!!  Thaw was enough that only postholed a few times but was more like 4" drop instead of 12" drop, so I just watched not locking my knees to avoid any trauma.  I was smiling all the time since it's been several weeks since I've been able to run on real singletrack trails.  

TT - I have a table top grinding wheel and it works well for microspike renewal. Just go light, it didn't take much.

Mandy - How's PR doing?  He and Scrapster should stop by here once in a while.

Yesterday's QOTD:  I like to go out back and look at the stars before heading up to bed. Living in the country, stargazing is exceptional. It makes me feel happy.

QOTD:  Many places, but the lake district in Killarney, Ireland has special meaning for me and my family.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Not getting a run in today, so juggling it with my off day tomorrow.

QOTD: Im a huge fan / promoter / cheerleader for the Lost Creek Wilderness here in Colorado. Love the area.

XtremeTaper

Total of 11 miles yesterday in a road/trail double. Figure these doubles are good for my 12 hour next month plus the trails are still a mess thus getting in a decent length trail un is a challenge. Heck even a short run is a challenge. Last night's run over at Green Lane was another slip and slide mess. Not really much snow now, but still a 1-3" base of slip and slide ice slush snow mix. Nearly every other footstep there is some sliding it seems. Still it was a very scenic run. I ran on the south side of the lake which is the hillier side where dozens of feeder creeks run down of the ridge line to the lake. These are usually a trickle or dry in the late summer. Lately they've been frozen solid. Well last night they were roaring streams gushing with water. Tiny little water falls over rock outcropping, rapids, etc. There is actually a place on this trail with a sign called "Rock Falls". It's a small falls granted and usually dry as a bone but last night from 2 directions the water was flowing. Saw some high school punks just before finishing up my run last night. They were standing on the other side of wide creek as the Lady and I plowed through the freezing cold water. The one dude asked me how I did that. I said I've done this 20 times already today. Gushing water everywhere.

Today, I ran a hilly 7 on the roads. Looping down into ironstone hollow and back. Snow is still melting. Looks like my next trail run I should look for southern facing trails and slopes. Ground facing that directions is nearly snow free.

QOTD: Well, tropical wise I'd say St. John, USVI. The north shore road from Cruz Bay is just an amazing drive. Best done as a passenger in an open air taxi. Non-tropical is a tougher call. I think maybe Sequoia National Forest. I was up there one year in February looking at the old giants. .

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - How's PR doing?  He and Scrapster should stop by here once in a while.

Ah, they aren't together anymore, but PR is doing very well.  He'll talk your ear off about Maffetone and heart rate training if you let him.  He's signed up for a bunch of races this year and says he's running better now than he has in years.  He said he's totally done with the forums, but would happily add anyone on Facebook.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Ah, they aren't together anymore, but PR is doing very well.  He'll talk your ear off about Maffetone and heart rate training if you let him.  He's signed up for a bunch of races this year and says he's running better now than he has in years.  He said he's totally done with the forums, but would happily add anyone on Facebook.

Sorry to hear, hope they are both happy.

I got a slackline after PR raved about them a few years back.  Still use it once in a while.

For me. it's easier to keep up on Forums than FB.  Some of those FB group comment sections (especiall Trail And Ultra Running) move so quickly that I can't follow.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

Hopefully a tempo climb to Skyline on the bike ....

QOTD: Most beautiful is too hard to say. For mountains, the Dolomites are my favorite. Beach.ocean? Na Pali coast in Kauai and environs

If I make it to Reunion island and Mauritius maybe that will change Wink