Trailer Trash

Cedro Peak 45k (Read 28 times)

Low_O2

I wrote up a race report on my blog from my Cedro Peak race last weekend. Going into the race I wasn't really sure how it was going to go. Training had been going well this spring, but I hit a rough patch about a month out from the race. I really thought there was potential for a rough day on the trails, luckily that is not how it went. I played it really safe and ran conservatively and it paid off big. I ended up getting 1st overall and beating last years time by about 5 minutes. Pretty excited to get my first overall win(and a free pair of shoes)!

Here is the link to my blog if you're interested in all the details.

http://pursuitoftrailslesstraveled.blogspot.com/2014/04/cedro-peak-45k.html

Messenjah

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

You're "easy" pace was good enough for first.  Amazing.  Thanks for hangin with us mortals.

Did you ever find out what happen to the guy you thought was ahead of you before the turn-around?

From the pictures, it is hard to tell how steep the climbs are.  Were you running them or hiking them?

Thanks for the report!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Low_O2

You're "easy" pace was good enough for first.  Amazing.  Thanks for hangin with us mortals.

Did you ever find out what happen to the guy you thought was ahead of you before the turn-around?

From the pictures, it is hard to tell how steep the climbs are.  Were you running them or hiking them?

Thanks for the report!

I've thought a lot about the "easy" pace thing since the race. I find that in ultras at least, there seems to be only a small difference between a pace that is too fast and one that is comfortable. Hard to say for sure, but I don't think pushing out of that easy pace zone would have shaved much time off overall. Pushing harder from the gun probably would have slowed me down towards the end. I think this is the main reason people struggle so much towards the end of races, the pace they should be running feels way too easy so they are running too fast too early.

The guy ahead of me went the wrong way at the confusing intersection. He got back on course and ended up finishing, but didn't go through the finishing chute for some reason. I think he was hoping to win and was bummed that he added a bit of distance to his race, even though he ended up completing the course.

Most of the climbs were runnable for me. Only a few stretches that I had to walk, including a good chunk of the steep climb around mile 20.

Thanks for checking out my report!

SheCan

You killed it, and what a smart, smart race you ran!  Congratulations #1!!!!  That's awesome.  The pictures are beautiful, and look very challenging.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! Nice race...and what an awesome crew!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Congratulations on the win and course record as far as I'm concerned!  If only my N2's would let me run that fast Big grin

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

Well done. I'm expecting a lot more of these types of reports in your future. You have a ton of talent and discipline. That's a tough combination to beat.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well said, Jamie!

Congrats on your first place finish, O2!  Loved the report, and you have a great looking crew!  Smile

Running is dumb.

Low_O2

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the great comments. I like the idea of writing race reports, but kind of struggle to sit down and crank them out. Good to know others enjoy them! I recovered well from this race, so I think my first 50 miler may be coming up soon...

warden - Love my N2s, but my feet got a bit sore after this one. Wish they would add just a bit more to the forefoot.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nice job...how cool to win overall.  Enjoyed the story.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dpc3

Your first 50 miler is going to be a unsupported double crest trail in the Sandia Mtn right. Again nice work and glad you didn't catch me at the turn around.

muppy

There's some fast peeps around here, 1st place is simply amazing, congratulations!

LB2

That is a good deal. Congratulations. I'd like to know more about Tailwind. My understanding, and it could be wrong, is that Tailwind is mostly Sucrose (table sugar). If that is true, I would be terrified of major crashes. I question my understanding because I have never heard anyone who has used Tailwind mention "crash" and "Tailwind" in the same sentence. What is the deal with it?

LB2

Low_O2

I'm not exactly sure of the details LB, but here is the ingredient list - Dextrose (Glucose), Sucrose, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sea Salt, Organic Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate

I have listened to a couple podcasts where the guy who came up with the recipe explains why it works. I don't remember the details, but know it works well for me and many other folks. I have never experienced any stomach issues or energy crashes while using it. The only problem I have experienced is after a few hours I tend to crave plain water. I played around with the concentrations a bit for this race and never had that problem. Also, it seems like the "naked" flavor is a little more forgiving in how concentrated it is mixed as the flavor doesn't really get any stronger. You can pick up a sample pack that comes with one of each of the flavors to test out. That is how I tried it and found out there were a couple flavors I wasn't a fan of.