Trailer Trash

Feeding the Hunger Beast (Read 35 times)

moonlightrunner

Most of you here are very experienced ultrrunners and I need some insight from you now that my mileage has gotten higher.

As you may know, I had bariatri surgery 20 months ago. I've lost around 120 pounds. With the spectre of my former self always in the back of my mind, I am ever mindful I could regain all or some of my weight.

Now comes the question. When you are training...and my training up until quite recently was in the 50-low 70 miles per week...are you hungry most of the time? Do you find yourself eating what seems like constantly?

I contacted a triathlete who had the same surgery and does ironmans and 100 mile ultramarathons. He told me to relax...and to look at food as fuel and enjoy what burning calorues allows. He said he eats evwry 2 hours...and eats 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fat.

Are you hungry a lot when you train high miles? I appreciate your input. Am i the only one here who seems to eat...ALOT?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I eat a lot.  For several weeks (5 or 6) I kept a running tab of the daily calories I consumed, I can't recall the figures, but it was high.  I also kept track of my weight, it varied ever so slightly over those several weeks, maybe 2-3 lbs up or down.  I concluded with this scientific study that I can eat what I want Smile  It's not why I run, but certainly is a perk.  I do try and eat healthy (for the most part anyways)- get several portions of fresh fruit and veggies every day, whole grains, healthier snacks, etc.  But I don't balk at a thick burger or a ribeye either.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

I'm big for an ultra runner.  6' and 195lbs.  I get very hungry the day after my long runs or races.  I too look at the scale and don't worry if there is a fluctuation of 2-3 pounds.  If I go up higher, I cut back on eating.  Agree, don't worry too much about what you are eating, but focus on "good" calories and keep an eye on the scale.  I tend to gain weight over the winter, but that is due to mileage cut back and holiday cheer.

pm me if you have any questions.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Wow, 120 lbs weight loss is great!

Of course if you had that much to lose it's possible that you were not too active at that time. I'm assuming that, because most of the overweight people I know claim to not eat very much and often they don't, they just don't move and burn many calories either. 50-70 miles a week is a lot of miles, it will require a lot of calories. If you compare what you used to consume before surgery to now with your running, it's very possible that you are eating a lot more now.   In addition to that you probably have to eat smaller, more frequent meals, which will make it seems like you're eating all the time. I weigh myself almost every day, always in the morning to be consistent. This allows me to quickly catch any weight gain.

When I was almost exclusively  biking I would have months where I would put on 240-260 miles a week with a lot of climbing. At those times I felt like I couldn't eat enough. I rarely run more then 45 miles a week and most often not more then 30. When I do get to >50 I find I do eat more. The biggest challenge is cutting back on the eating if the mileage drops.

moonlightrunner

Wow, 120 lbs weight loss is great!

Of course if you had that much to lose it's possible that you were not too active at that time. I'm assuming that, because most of the overweight people I know claim to not eat very much and often they don't, they just don't move and burn many calories either. 50-70 miles a week is a lot of miles, it will require a lot of calories. If you compare what you used to consume before surgery to now with your running, it's very possible that you are eating a lot more now.   In addition to that you probably have to eat smaller, more frequent meals, which will make it seems like you're eating all the time. I weigh myself almost every day, always in the morning to be consistent. This allows me to quickly catch any weight gain.

When I was almost exclusively  biking I would have months where I would put on 240-260 miles a week with a lot of climbing. At those times I felt like I couldn't eat enough. I rarely run more then 45 miles a week and most often not more then 30. When I do get to >50 I find I do eat more. The biggest challenge is cutting back on the eating if the mileage drops.

Prior to surgery I ran regularly, but my size did not allow for the longer miles I now run.  I thinkthe cutting back on eating with my drop in mileage of the last month is ddifficult, and is what concerns me. Food is habit forming.

I know a couple of you here (Mandy? Lace?) Are vegans. I am not vegan or vegetarian but I cannot tolerate dairy. What protein sources do you turn to?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

If you are hungrier it generally means your body is telling you that you need more calories.  The problem is that it's possible that you could get that fill of calories and then some.  But with your mileage, not likely that you will gain much (if any) weight.  But as AT said, once the mileage goes down, make sure you adjust the diet or there will be a tendency to gain a few extra pounds over the winter (or whatever time of year it is that has decreased miles).

Non dairy protein sources (foods) = chicken or turkey breast; nuts, beans, fish, green peas, quinoa, chickpeas,tofu, sunflower seeds....

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I think it is great that you were able to lose that weight. Congratulations. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question. I never give much thought to what I eat; I just eat.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I know a couple of you here (Mandy? Lace?) Are vegans. I am not vegan or vegetarian but I cannot tolerate dairy. What protein sources do you turn to?

For non-meat and non-dairy protein sources, I like beans, eggs, avocado, lentils, quinoa, nuts, etc.  Have you tried greek yogurt?  I know a lot of people who can't tolerate diary, but can do greek yogurt.

Congrats on your awesome weight loss!  When I was running high mileage, I was hungry all the time, yes.  I like warden's suggestion of tracking calories for a few weeks if you're concerned about it.  But as long as you're not gaining weight, I wouldn't be!

Running is dumb.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

found my little spreadsheet, calories ranged from 3300 to 4000/day (I think I see the number ~ 2500 thrown around for men daily), weight varied from 176-179- this was over 4 weeks

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

thanks, all. So far...even with my recent reduction in mileage I have not regained any weight.

I am trying to find low calorie protein sources for convenient snacking. Some weekend I will try a Greek yogurt and see if I can tolerate it. I love Greek yogurt but have not tried any since figuring out I was lactose intolerant.

Warden: a spread sheet tracking calories? That could make keeping track more likely for me. I might give that a try.

Occasional Runner

I'm vegetarian, not vegan. Being vegan would never work for me because I love cheese and eggs too much.

I think most people would be surprised by the wide range of options for plant based protein. However, eggs are a huge part of my diet and probably account for 50% of my protein.

moonlightrunner

I try to eat eggs in the morning...but I think I need to find other recipes to eat more. Meat sometimes do not work well for me because they are bulky. Eggs are easy in my gut.

I'm vegetarian, not vegan. Being vegan would never work for me because I love cheese and eggs too much.

I think most people would be surprised by the wide range of options for plant based protein. However, eggs are a huge part of my diet and probably account for 50% of my protein.

Occasional Runner

I try to eat eggs in the morning...but I think I need to find other recipes to eat more. Meat sometimes do not work well for me because they are bulky. Eggs are easy in my gut.

About once a week for dinner, I cook a couple eggs and put them on top some corn tortillas and cover the eggs with pinto beans, guacamole and pico. Delicious!!! I also add a fried egg to my Boca burgers. And there's always a ziplock bag of hard boiled eggs in my fridge so I can eat a couple as soon as I get in from my run.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

About once a week for dinner, I cook a couple eggs and put them on top some corn tortillas and cover the eggs with pinto beans, guacamole and pico. Delicious!!! I also add a fried egg to my Boca burgers. And there's always a ziplock bag of hard boiled eggs in my fridge so I can eat a couple as soon as I get in from my run.

Why didn't I think of that?!  Now I know what I'm eating for dinner.

And yeah, I eat a lot of eggs too.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

Why didn't I think of that?!  Now I know what I'm eating for dinner.

That's actually what I'm having for dinner tonight. I also pile on the Jalapenos!