Trailer Trash

Satur-Sundaily (Read 16 times)

runtraildc

How about trying a weekend 'daily'?  We've been such dedicated runners that our posts are lower on these days and maybe a continuing thread would work?  So anyways, I am starting it and we can see how it works.

Running-wise, I got in 5.5 miles with the group on the fairly flat paved trail.   Felt nice for a change and worked in some speed as an exchange.  Now headed to a picnic even though it is 50* and is supposed to rain later.

Good luck to XT and DayDreamer at the DE trail races!  Well, maybe they are already done and enjoying a beer...

qotd:  Any travels coming up?  For me, not immediately, though we bought incredibly inexpensive plan tickets for this summer to MN and planning a north shore/Superior trip in that.   And I'm looking into a camping trip to Nova Scotia for early August.  Never been--any recommendations?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Little over 5 this morning on a fairly flat trail and the doggies wanted to move fast!!  I told my friend I would run 15 with her tomorrow....that's gonna hurt!!!  Now yard work... Filling holes 😡

Qotd:  I haven't signed up yet but 99% sure I am going to the Trailfest in Utah.  So I am either going to drive myself or find some people on the internet that I can hitch a ride with.  The only thing that woukd keep me from not going is if my Dad wants to go to Alaska in August.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

It may be in the low 50's here but with a strong north wind there is a definite chill factor. Did my 10 mile loop thru the Sylvania wilderness. A run doesn't have to be overly long to be labeled epic as that run will prove. Beautiful rolling single track thru virgin forest and past gin clear lakes. The trailhead is 35 minutes from my cabin, yet I only go there 4-5 times per year.  Need to re-examine my priorities. Think I'll skip the bike today and just relax around here.

runtrail-- It has been over 30 years since I was there. I have a bad memory but lots of parks on the sea if I remember right. Good camping but I can't remember specifics. Prince Edward island is nice too. Do you have a passport?

QOTD--As mentioned a few days ago, a 10-12 day solo canoe trip to northwest Ontario on about May 11th and when I get back I'll spend a day or two unpacking and repacking and then out to Utah for a week or two. Moving my daughter to start with and then car camping around Escalante doing some long run/hikes and general exploring. May shoot down to either Zion or the Grand Canyon on a whim too for a day or so.  Depending on how I work things out with future employment I will probably be doing a 10 day backpacking trip to Wyoming's Wind River range again in Sept.  Probably my favorite western mountain range with unlimited backcountry possibilities. Otherwise just time at my cabin which works just fine.

AT-runner

Tim

Yesterday's evening run was cut short when i got a call that my mom was taken to the hospital in A Fib. After a few hours of her HR being abroung 175 bpm, they got her back in sinus rhythm around 10:00pm.  She's almost 80, so can't imagine what that HR feels like for 7-8 hours. I told he that's higher than my max rate while running.

Today DW and I ran 15 miles on logging road.  Legs felt heavy, but I got it done.  Foot still sore when I push it, but no pain with walking or easy paced running.

Sandy - hope you are feeling better.  Good call on skipping the Fat Ass.  Why mess up a goal race for a FA.

dc - Had relatives in Nova Scotia, but there all gone now.  Beautiful place and some good hiking and running.  Tourist spots (Peggys Cove) get very busy especially when cruise ships dock (in Hailfax), so time your trips around the ship schedules.

QOTD:  4 day golf trip to Avalon , NJ in mid May and the 1st week of June I'm flying to Maine for my goddaughter's HS graduation.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

22+ miles running in circles.  Started in Delaware, ran into PA, Decided to go back to De, then back to Pa. Finally ended it all right back where I started in De . RD apparently changed the course for the 1/2, Said it was somewhere between 13.1 and 60 miles . Xtreme gave me a 10 minute head start and still almost caught me after the first 13+ miles. I may write up a basic report later.

Runtrail-  I can barely stand to drink a beer in the best of times. Having one after this race would have not ended well.

Queen - Even if your Dad goes to Alaska you can still go to Trailfest. I'll go to Alaska with him for you .

NH - I know the winters up there are rough, but it sounds like you all have some really nice wilderness up there to compensate for it.

AT- Sorry to hear that about your mom. Heart rates that high at that age are often very uncomfortable for the patient. Sounds like it was time for some Cardizem.

QOTD: Planning a trip to Michigan in August. Probably going to be taking my BIL and SIL up to Copper Harbor area. Will be mostly driving as they can't really walk very well anymore. Years of morbid obesity have taken their toll on them.  Might go to the shore in September. Exactly where is yet to be decided.

runtraildc

Mine is current, but I just discovered the kiddos have expired.  Need to do that asap as I don't want it to get caught in the backlog/summer applications.

runtrail-- It has been over 30 years since I was there. I have a bad memory but lots of parks on the sea if I remember right. Good camping but I can't remember specifics. Prince Edward island is nice too. Do you have a passport?

DD-- Copper Harbor is nice, but it's been years since I've been up that way.  Lots of interesting history around those parts.  And congrats on the triple crown!

NorthernHarrier

QOTD: Planning a trip to Michigan in August. Probably going to be taking my BIL and SIL up to Copper Harbor area. Will be mostly driving as they can't really walk very well anymore. Years of morbid obesity have taken their toll on them.  Might go to the shore in September. Exactly where is yet to be decided.

Copper Harbor is not all that far from my shack, windshield time up here is part of the gig. Houghton is 2 hours from me so I get up there occasionally. Copper Harbor a little further up the road. The Keweenaw is awesome country. If you can drop the bil and sil at a shop or something you will have to visit the Estivant Pine sanctuary. It just may be the most outstanding preserve of virgin White Pine in the country.  Google it up for info and photos. Need to go see it again this summer myself. Incredible. Take plenty of Deep Woods Off though. 

Many other little sanctuary's and small parks and public lands highlighting some great shorelines, etc. Lots of trails but do some research beforehand.

Of course there is this little trail race in Marquette in August too. Plus you'll drive right by the Pictured Rocks. I'm sure your relations would be up for the boat cruise past that.

Have fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Opted for an unscheduled rest day which turned into calling out sick for work, probably one of those 24 hour thingies.

runtraildc - I've driven through with some sightseeing stops along the way, but never camped. For history buffs, the Fortress of Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island is worth a visit.

QOTD: Nothing planned until August for Elkhorn 50K and Glacier NP, but that can change.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

NHLA

8 miles yesterday. Wolf Mt. rest and Long Rock. They are going to start shooting Dirty dancing soon.

8 miles today at Champion Hills. Its raining so if it gets hard I can duck into a shed around golf course. I can run the golf cart paths today.

This is a beautiful Fosio course.

AT  that had to be scary for your mom.

qotd  DW leaving for FL tom. so I'm on vacation at home.

Sandy-2

Sandy - hope you are feeling better.  Good call on skipping the Fat Ass.  Why mess up a goal race for a FA.

AT, thanks I am feeling better.  However, I decided to be stupid....  I ran the 30k today.  It was a very difficult trail, no idea on the elevation gain, but it was crazy steep in some places.  My limited oxygen intake really killed my climbing ability, heart rate was quite elevated so I had to take it slow. I also did about 2 bonus miles right near the end (about 3 miles to go).  I finished the about 21ish miles in 7:09 hacking some, runny nose and some pretty good snot rockets, but mainly the many slow ups and downs.

Qotd's: planned business trip to NYC coming up, but not finalized yet. A few personal things are being considered.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL