Trailer Trash

Don't Fence Me In 30k-scratch that.... umm better make that 14k RR (Read 38 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I signed up for the Don't Fence Me In 30k about three months ago.  I had signed up for it last year, but had to cancel due to a wedding that I had to attend, so I was really looking forward to running it this year.  This race is also part of the LaSportiva Mountain Cup series and draws some very good runners.  The course hooks up several trails in the Helena area that I run frequently.  About 7 weeks ago I suffered a stress fracture in my left heel (not really sure how) and that ended my running.  I just started some light jogging about a week ago and knew that there was no way in hell I'd be able to do the 30k this Saturday (5/10).  I had signed up my DD to run the 12k (it's actually 14k) at the same time I signed up for the 30k, as she would be visiting from Milwaukee.  So I called the folks at the Prickly Pear Land Trust who put on the race and they were more than happy to move me down to the 12k.  The Prickly Pear Land Trust is the outfit that has put together this wonderful system of trails through purchases, leases and easements.  They also do all the maintenance (w/ volunteers).  They are continually looking to add even more trails and ways to hook more trails together.  They are the main reason that Helena probably enjoys one of the best local trail systems in the world!

The 12k (14k) while significantly shorter is no walk in the park, it boasts 1500'+ of elevation gain, some of it very steep.  This would be my longest run, if I made it, since February and double of the couple of jogs I had done the week prior.  I also knew that my heel could mean pulling out, as it's not 100%.  So there was definitely some trepidation.  The weather though was absolutely perfect- high 40's with clouds rolling in.  Knowing all the trails intimately was a plus as was the thought of running with my DD.

she has good taste in shoes too Big grin

The race starts out on ~ .5 miles of pavement and I could quickly feel my heel rebelling.  Fortunately the trail started soon enough and the heel felt better.  Not long after the trail starts you get a good taste of elevation gain.  My daughter runs in Milwaukee, almost exclusively on the road, so I knew this would be difficult for her.  I had her walk all of the steep uphills, knowing that she would catch me in the downhills and flats.  I passed a lot of folks going uphill, only to have them pass me on the downhills- I'm still aways out from actually running, fast jogging is the most I dare for now.

After passing lots of folks on the uphills (including my DD) I would then get to see most of them again on the downhill Smile  This went on for the next 7-ish miles, although the number of folks re-passing me was getting a little less.  After coming down a steep trail, the race finishes with ~ 1/4 mile of pavement.  This short stretch of pavement really had my heel suffering (it was already getting pretty sore from the trails), but the finish line was insight.  I ended finishing a few minutes ahead of my DD, she settled in with a group of gals that were all running the same pace.

DD and myself, not too much worse for the wear.

they say third times the charm, so hopefully next year I'll finally run the Don't Fence Me In 30k Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

Nice work! That's a nice way to spend the day with your daughter. I hope you heal up quick and with no lasting issues. Thanks for sharing.

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! It is great you were able to race despite the injury...and nice you ran with your daughter.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Birdwell

Congrats on the race. I'm really glad to see your getting back in the swing of things.

Also, as a father myself, I am so happy to see you finished in front your daughter. I know someday mine are going to be much faster than me, so I relish every small victory I can get. I think my oldest may the type to gloat a bit the day she finally beats her old man.

Sandy-2

Nice that you were able to run with your DD. Hope your heel starts to turn the corner and get better soon.

congrats to you both.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

So glad you are running again.  Keep it steady in the build up to avoid the same problem.  Did you have a bone density test just to make sure there is nothing underlying (men can get osteopenia and  osteoporsis too)?

Look like a great day with your DD, how fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

So glad you are running again.  Keep it steady in the build up to avoid the same problem.  Did you have a bone density test just to make sure there is nothing underlying (men can get osteopenia and  osteoporosis too)?

Look like a great day with your DD, how fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks everyone!  my heel feels quite a bit better this morning, hoping I've turned the corner and can slowly build back the miles (and what little speed I had Big grin)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Nice to see you running again Warden!  Congrats on salvaging the day and getting some race miles in with the DD...you guys look like you had a great time.  For some reason I was picturing your daughter with a huge mustache .  Thanks for RR and glad to hear the heel is healing.

**Ask me about streaking**

jonferg67

Endless trails

It's great that you were able to run this so soon after the injury, and just as cool to run it with

DD. Thanks for the report.

I envy your trails and the Land Trusts efforts to maintain and make them better.

muppy

Congratulations on getting back out on the trails and running with your daughter! Hope your heel gets better!

Watoni

Great run, and nice to run with your daughter!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks everyone Smile  I thought I might have overdone it, but happy to report my heel feels much better today- well enough I'll go for a run this evening

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Nice job father and daughter. BTW, no offense but I think she is a lot easier on the eyes!

I always enjoy my workouts with my daughter but I think swimming is the only thing she'll beat me at so far. I let her think she is faster on a road bike but I'm always holding something in reserve. 

Why don't you visit her in Milwaukee and we can get the two of you out on some of the great trails just a short ways west of there?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

no offense but I think she is a lot easier on the eyes!

Why don't you visit her in Milwaukee and we can get the two of you out on some of the great trails just a short ways west of there?

that goes w/o saying Big grin

it's been a couple of years since we visited, so yeah it'll be our turn to travel next- when that happens would love to meet up for some running!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √