Trailer Trash

Soupy Saturdailies (Read 33 times)

The pooch and I had a nice cool wet 10 mile trail run.  It was 34 F and raining at the trail head.

QOTD: Pass

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Uh oh... now what?

Golly, I thought everyone was sleeping in...  morning part:  The 3-mile loop to the beach and along the prairie and back... our "steady at 28, gusting to 40" continues, but the direction has changed.

QOTD: Have you ever turned back on a run because of deteriorating weather?  We were about an hour and a half into a four-hour run once when an ice storm came in from the coast.  Within thirty minutes there was enough weight added to the trees we started hearing branches breaking.  When we heard a tree go down we rerouted to meadows and open-area trails for the return trip.  Yesterday's winds gave us pause: long enough to be deliberate about the trails where a falling tree shouldn't be a danger.  We had several pauses to watch the waves.

QOTD: I don't think I ever have.  There have been times when I probably should have though.  I love running in bad weather and have therefore used really bad judgement at times.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Birdwell

Morning folks! Got in 7.5 this morning. I'll head back out this afternoon for 4-5 at the track.

QOTD: Yes, I have turned and high-tailed it for home due to weather. Mostly due to starting a run in the sun (therefore shorts and t-shirts) only to have the weather go south and turn to freezing rain or snow.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

have a really tough 9 mile run planned today- 2200' of gain&loss Big grin

qotd: there are a lot more runs that I should have cut short, than I actually have due to weather- my first snowshoe run this winter was cut short as I underestimated the depth/difficulty of the snow

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

I'm gonna rest today but last night I did 8 miles from the river, over the ridge and back for about 520 feet of elevation gain in the first 4 miles.

Funny story, after 2.24 miles, I hit the steepest part of the route when I noticed another runner pass me and maintain a 200 yard lead on me as we wound up into the park I ran some different trails than he did, but as we left after 3-4 miles he was 200 yards ahead of me again.  I found myself determined to catch him as he turned the corner at the intersection of the road.  When I got there he was getting into his car.

I felt better about myself that I had another  2 miles to run and he was fresh when he passed me on the hill.

QOTD:  Never had severe enough weather moving fast enough to make me bail out while running.  Rode out of Elk Camp in 18 inches of new snow in 2011 and that had me puckered.  Was glad I wasn't out 6 miles from camp when that storm hit

WYBMADIITY

Save

sugnim

Morning all.  Cold & snowy run for me and the ulcer today: 5 miles.  I can't wait til this dang thing heals.

QOTD:  I've never turned back on a run, but I have turned back on a hike once when I saw lightening strike the ground a few times.  I got back to the car in time for it to hit a boat out at sea.  It was a pretty bad North CA storm, but exciting.  (I learned later that everyone on the boat was fine, though the boat was lost.)

ETA:  I ended up doing 8 before I almost threw up at stop light near my home.  Don't get an ulcer.

AT-runner

Tim

Good afternoon.  DW dragged me off the couch for 4 miles on some easy trails.  I felt like I ran 20 miles.  Now time for a nap.  This virus really sucks.

QOTD:  The 2008 Pike Peak Ascent - We got stopped at A-Frame, due to lightning. and told we could not continue.  So my 13.1 mile ascent turned into a 20.4 miles up and down.  My nice warm clothes were at the top, and it was foggy and freezing cold.  As we passed people on our way down, no one believed us when we told them the race was stopped.  Most of the fist wave made it past A-Frame before the storm, but only a few from the second ave made it.  I gave a way my race shirt because I didn't finish the race.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

I got a good 29.5 miles in today, although not on trail (don't excommunicate me). The sunshine returned and I was just glad to be outdoors.

QOTD: I turned around once about 2 miles short of my plan due to the ugliest clouds I've ever seen. Some very interesting layers, with lots of yellow, green, and purple. A front was forecast, and I knew as I headed out the door that I would be "racing." Soon after I got back in the door we had hellacious hail and lightning.

Sandy-2

Slept in this morning and then did a little core training and a bike ride.  Nice weather here today.

qotd: Yes. Lightening.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

What I intended to be 15 miles in three hours turned into more of a hike around 10.5 miles.  Rocky trail with a light mist that had been falling for a while made the rocks very slick.  So I slowed it way down, little ups and downs.  I was content for a fast hike.  Then helped a friend move a swingset thingy from another home onto a Uhaul and to his home.  Took 7 of us to move it - I swear it must have weighed close to 1000lbs.

QOTD: I probably should have but once you get wet in a soaking rainstorm, there is no reason to turn back. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Rocky trail with a light mist that had been falling for a while made the rocks very slick.  

Did you do that AT section around Boiling Springs?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Did you do that AT section around Boiling Springs?

Yes I did...starting at Boiling Springs and went South.  Any other day, it would have been fine but it was worse than running/hiking on ice.  I'll be back again.  It is a nice area.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Yes I did...starting at Boiling Springs and went South.  Any other day, it would have been fine but it was worse than running/hiking on ice.  I'll be back again.  It is a nice area.

I'm sure the rocks were pretty slick this am.  I've run that section in the fall with wet leaves, and it was slow going.  No big ricks, but a ton of small ones to keep your attention.

NorthernHarrier

So after running and traipsing along by myself on some awesome trails of the Smokies and the Blue Ridge mtns. my first little run here was a 41/2  miler on the path pictured in Mandy's avatar this afternoon. Talk about a shock! Loud traffic, exhaust fumes and PEOPLE!  Yuch!  Still good to be back but I have to work on my tolerance again.

The Foothills trail of S.C. is beautiful the entire distance and I also got in some great runs in the Smokies, Blue Ridge Mts., and Big South Fork recreation area. Very nice adventure

QOTD- Yes. Trees coming down, flood waters making going on impossible, lightning in the high country, I guess you name it, I have had it.