Trailer Trash

Time for the Tuesdaily (Read 19 times)

XtremeTaper

No run yet today, but I might mix it up and run at lunch today since I started work a bit early this morning. Just sort of woke up earlier than normal for some reason. I guess because the AC was off. I did run last night, 6 miles out on the local trail. I know we mentioned zoning out and I had one of those runs last night as I was puzzling out a coding "challenge" in my head during my run. About a minute slower than recent times on this loop, but my brain was distracted. Plus it was a gloomy day/evening and I really wanted to be lazy but just forced myself out there for a few miles.

QOTD: 9/11 today. If you have any comments or thoughts please share.

My last run at Laurel Highlands, we stopped at the Flight 93 Memorial. They recently added a big wind chime tower there, but at the time there were some paths, the memorial wall, and markers showing the path of the crash. It was a very reflective place of course, and I found myself quite moved by it all. Just imagine how the world would have changed (even more) had those passengers not taken action. It was quite an act of bravery.

Sandy - Good knees on the news!

Queenie - Keep up the good taper.

Moonlight - Good to see you back. It's been a weird summer not running with the Lady, but she is no longer cut out for hot running.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My streak of runless TURD days continues.  I just didn't feel up to running last night.  Try again today.  A bit of a funk currently but these things fade...

QOTD: Everyone always asks the question of "where were you on 9/11 when it was happening or when you heard about it?" I remember.  I was in the middle of a counseling session.  I worked as a counselor at a D & A rehab and we were interrupted to let us know what was happening.  I remember watching it on the news like it was yesterday.  I have not been to either of the memorials but I would like to.  I have no excuse since I live between the two.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength trained yesterday evening; will hit the trails with Tiny E this evening

qotd: I was traveling to training with a fellow warden, we were listening in shock to the news as we travelled; as we continued on a very rural stretch of highway we came upon a pretty bad wreck- two fellas hauling a camper that got out of control and caused them to roll their truck.  We were the first vehicle there, called an ambulance and administered first aid (they had multiple fractures).  Felt good to do something positive on such a negative day.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Well the Queen’s birthday celebration got a little out of hand last night but I still made it out for a quick ten this am

Hi Moon. Good to have u stop in

and quit watchin so much news that stuff will eat you up

LB2

I ran 3.1 miles this morning in the dark. It was very easy in 31:00.

QOTD: I have always heard adults speak of where they were when Pearl Harbor was bombed and/or where they were when Kennedy was assassinated. I never thought I would have any profound memories of what I consider to be catastrophic tragedies. I remember when Reagan was shot, but he survived. And Jody Foster never had to answer for it even though she put John Hinkley, Jr. up to it!!! (That was a joke). Anyway, I remember vividly where I was when 9/11 happened. I had worked the 6PM to 6AM shift at Honeywell that Monday night. For some reason, I always had trouble winding down and going to sleep after a night shift. I had the television on the NBC Today show and sort of nodded off. I guess it was something in the way the announcer (Bryant Gumbel or Matt Lauer) changed the urgency in his voice that awakened me. I was watching it live when the second jet crashed into the other tower. It was surreal and horrific. Needless to say, I didn't sleep the rest of the day, and the Tuesday night shift didn't get much done. And no one really cared about how much refrigerant was shipped out that night. It seems like it was just yesterday to me. I still feel for the people who were trapped in that inferno, some jumping to their deaths. I feel horrible for the first responders who charged up the stairs and never came back out. I have no sympathy for radical psychos like the ones who did this or the ones who attack people all over the world today. And I don't spend too much time second guessing police or soldiers who have to deal with them. And I never second guess Marines.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Didn’t make it to Mt. Evans yesterday. Went to Manitou Springs and explored around there. Saw some old places from when I ran Pikes Peak. Dropped off DD#1 in Denver and drove to Frisco for dinner. Ran, hiked and walked 12 miles yesterday.

From Sundays run to Timberline Lake.

Heading out out for a run / hike to somewhere now. Destination TBD but looks like along the Continental Divide Trail.

QOTD:  In my office and had Today Show on my TV.  Saw something about a fire at Wold Trade center and said something to my receptionist. Had a patient in the waiting room who heard me and asked what was going on since her brother worked there. She went to my office to watch the TV, and I went into a room with another patient. I heard this loud scream and ran to my office. That as when tower 2 was hit. Her brother was in the second tower. She did not find out until later that day that he got out. When first tower was hit, he decided to leave the building with a coworker and was on the street when his tower was hit. The rest of his office workers were killed.

Called my wife and we went to school to get the kids. Sr. Phyllis, the Principal, was there letting the kids go with their families. Walked next door to the church and said some prayers.

I had 2 college friends and one of my former swimmers killed. Also had a friend in the Pentagon that was 200 yards from where plane hit. She had just walked from a meeting in the area that was destroyed.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

AT: Beautiful pictures. I love Colorado so much. My daughter went out there for a concert at Red Rocks in 2015. She came home, finished school, saved money and moved there. She said she is never leaving. It is a great excuse to visit the mountains more often.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT - nice Smile  looks like the weather is going to cooperate

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Morning's plan went awry. DS2 has been having some on and off nausea and stomach pains the last few days and it kicked up again, so this morning's long run went on the wayside. I'll get out for 3-4 miles this afternoon. If it stops raining. crap, this year has been awful, weather-wise. What I would give for a stretch of dry, low 70s, sunny days....

qotd: on 9/09, I few into Newark airport and got a fantastic view of the twin towers at night. That image, considering what happened two days later, is one that I don't think my brain will ever let go.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Dr Jamie - Hope your TURD streak ends.  I'm hoping mine ends today after 3 consecutive ones.

AT - Beautiful pics!  Keep em coming.

Hope to get out for 6 or 7 tonight, depending on how I feel.

QOTD:  I remember quite vividly watching the 1st tower get hit.  I was sitting in a chair in my apartment outside Seattle bottle feeding my infant son who was 4 months at that time.  I was watching the Today Show, since what else does a parent do to keep themselves awake at the break of dawn?  Didn't seem real at the time, especially being across the country.

Since living in NY, I've run past lower Manhattan and within blocks of where the towers stood countless times.  Again, a very surreal feeling as I look up at the new skyscrapers since constructed.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

AT-runner

Tim

Ran over 8 miles on the Mineral Belt Trail. Paved trail that was an old mining road. 800’ elevation ( after starting at 10,100&rsquoWink . Really felt the thin air in the climbs, but recovered well.  DW was lagging. She’s a bit slower getting used to the altitude.

Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive.

Some mining remnants left along the way.

Jess found a friend.

Leadville in the distance, and Turquoise Lake.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Crap again....so planned on running at lunch brought clothes but no shoes!  I think I will walk up a steep hill instead.

QOTD:  I was at work and had a TV on.  I remember some staff were scared thinking our area might be hit too.  I tried to reassure them no one was interested in the Inland Empire.  What I hope folks learned is to speak up and take charge.  Not to worry about offending someone.  Bombers, shooters, and the like all plan on most folks not doing anything to prevent  what they have planned. 

XT---guess I am taking on your name.  Hope this doesn't kill me when I do my run.  Thinking it's going to be a lot of mental work.

Gator eye:  Thanks for getting carried away on my birthday!    it's nice not to be alone!

AT:  Jess dating someone new?  Before pics..glad you guys have awesome weather.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

I slept in this morning so I'll be dodging thunderstorms after work today.

AT - nice photos you have managed to ramp up the jealousy-quotient.  Actually I was going to mention that the paved trail to the east of Leadville is kinda nice. Tough breathing thou.

QoN - happy (late) birthday.

qotd: My office was on the 106th floor of the south tower.  I along with a bunch of my coworkers moved when our headquarters relocated from NY to TX in mid-1999. There were still about 20 of my colleagues working at the WTC on 9/11, but they had moved to a smaller office on north-facing side of the 92nd floor of the north tower.  One of my colleagues watched in disbelief as the first plane came towards him and hit just above him and to his right. They immediately counted everyone and bolted down the stairs, they all got out. My DW called me after the first plane hit and some of went down to our company gym where there was a TV and we watched in horror as the second plane hit and later the Pentagon and PA planes.  It would be 2 days later before we found out that or coworkers were all ok.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It was supposed to be a 7-8 mile run at intended race pace for NC24. It was hard to keep the pace as slow as intended. Kept speeding up if I stopped paying attention to my pace and eventually gave up on the slower pace and finished up 10 miles with a very fast last mile and short cool down.

qotd: I was at home that day and got a call from my DW (I was still married then) to turn on the TV because a plane had crashed into the Towers. I was expecting some light plane like a Piper or Cessna had got caught in swirling air currents and crashed. I was shocked when I saw it was a commercial airliner and stayed riveted to the TV for the rest of the day, which meant I saw the second plane crashing as it happened along with the rest of the day's events.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

moonlightrunner

Last night...I had a great hike. Should have been a run...but it was still great fun.

Each season has something special. Cool temperatures and early darkness make the transition of summer to fall a source of joy. I love being alone in the woods, surrounded by the soft comfort of the dark. It makes even a mundane trail special.

Dark shapes of trees against the cool grey sky, air perfumed with the unmistakable scent of fall and a soft chorus of insect songs distract me from the task of training. The plans for intervals now gone withwonly fleeting regret, replaced with a need to capture the night's details in memory.

The moonless evening sky begins as soft grey, adorned with only a single bright Venitian light. Each time my eye travels skyward, more stars illuminate the darkening skyscape. A deep darkness settles into the crevices of the landscape, so intense in places it feels like a dark presence standing close. At times I reach out to touch it, but feel only cooling air.  The night is  filled with sounds of a choir. Crickets sing a gentle, melodic background to the rasp of insects that sound both enormous and ancient. As I walk alone, I am surrounded by the soft, gentle conversations of owls. It was a joyous night.

QOTD: 17 years ago I had come home after the nightshift. I turned on the TV when my cousin called asking what the World Trade Center was. I watched TV for the next 12 hours and when I could for days after. I remember feeling like things would never feel "normal" again. For a time everyone stood together, honouring the fallen and joining together against a new foe.

Here we all are, in a new normal. Standing apart. We have come a long way from that crossroads.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k