Trailer Trash

Move it Monday (Read 32 times)

LB2

I ran 5 yesterday. Those were the best miles I have run since I got back from New Mexico. My legs have just been a little lethargic, or maybe it has been a mental thing. Either way, it seemed to pass yesterday. I really turned a few fast sections out through the woods. Today is an SRD.

QOTD: Are you reading any books right now?

I am reading a re-issue of Salem's Lot. I can hardly put it down. I love scary stories. I like to think about them when I am running at night. It makes the time and miles go by more quickly if I can imagine something chasing me in the dark woods.

LB2

runtraildc

Morning folks!  Ended up with 4.5 yesterday.  Slow and walking much the last mile, but the glute felt better and I think (hope) the worst is past.  Today will be a rest day, though I plan to get to the gym for strength training.

qotd:  halfheartedly working thru two books right now, and actively looking for something more interesting.  Maybe I need to revisit classic Stephen King?  My kiddos could use an introduction to his work, too.  Nothing more exciting than a family book club.  

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

headed for a hike/snowshoe trip to Casey Peak w/ my brother who is visiting from SC-nothing like a little thin air to get the heart beating and the lungs heaving 

qotd: just finished up Blood Meridian (Cormac McCarthy) set in the Texas-Mexico borderlands in the late 1840's- I read it first about 15 years ago, Cormac is an incredible author; clearly writes on the darker side of life, but is vivid in his writing

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

SRD for me today.  Time for the real taper to begin.

QOTD:  Everything Burns by Vincent Zandri.  He's a mystery writer and I downloaded a bundle of his books on Kindle for a good price.  Might have to check out Salem's Lot.  I've read a lot of King and all of his Richard Bachman books.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

SRD. Legs are feeling beat up after yesterday's race.

QOTD:  Reading some books on WW II. Several weeks ago I finished one about the Black Cat raiders in the Pacific Theater of operations. These were really slow  flying boats that were designed for reconissance but ended up being used as bombers. They painted them black and flew at night. Right now I'm reading a book about the PT boats.

Marley and I had a nice 3 mile run earlier.  Along the drainage canal a hawk swooped down and grabbed a frog maybe 20' away from us.

QOTD: Nothing started at the moment.  I finished the Maze Runner series last.  I have the following in the queue:

1. "Alan Turing: the Enigma"
              2. "All the Light We Cannot See"
              3. "Four" (from the Divergent series)

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

XtremeTaper

About 35 miles of running over the weekend if you count Friday evening the weekend which I do capped off with 17 or 18 yesterday at French Creek (3:25 in time). It was a good long run for me in terms of overall feeling and how I felt at the end. I purposely included a huge steep climb to finish off which I hiked then once at the top found I was still running well. It was a warm day too so excellent training conditions for Laurel Highlands. Busy day out on the trails.. tons of mountain bikers in huge packs and also groups of people out orienteering. There must have been a few competitive orienteers as a few times I heard sounds in the woods and some maniac was bushwhacking off trail while looking at a map and compass.

Today was a lunchtime road run of 7 miles. Nice and toasty out there. Reminded me of the weather in 2004 when I ran Boston. Hot and breezy. Wish my pool was open as it would have been a great day for a dash and splash.

QOTD: Reading the most recent Harry Bosch crime thriller from Michael Connelly, the Burning Room. Have a few more books from Amazon by Elmore Leonard.. Fire in the Hole and others (books the series Justified was based upon).

In dog beers, I've only had one.

DigDug2

7 at lunch today, progression tempo run, felt good.  Had a good running weekend - left work early on Friday and got in a great 10 mile late afternoon trail run on the way home, then ran on the roads in beautiful weather on Saturday and Sunday.

QOTD:  Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel) - I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction but this is a really good read.

some call me Tim

rest day for me today, though I did some wood hauling and trail clearing to get myself outside for a bit.

qotd: LB, I love that book! It's my favorite of his novels. The first time I read it, I was maybe 13 and babysitting my younger brothers one of the first times. Right at the point when Matt is laying out what he knows and says, "There's someone upstairs," all the lights in the house went out. Then they came back, real dim. I almost crapped my pants.

Anyway, I'm stalled in the middle of about half a dozen different novels... about the only thing I'm actively reading atm is 'Eloquent Javascript'.

dpc3

Rode my bike into work 12 miles and ran over the weekend 10 miles. Need to find a race STAT.

QOTD: Do scientific papers/Books count? I'm a dud other wise.

Sandy-2

Ran 4 miles with my DS this afternoon.  It was a warm 86 deg and full sun.  A nice run though.  Last time we ran together was when he ran me in the last 2 or 3 miles at Leadville.

qotd: I'm between books right now.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

13 quick miles into the sunset (at still 80+ degrees - instant summer!).

The loop was a different one than I had planned, as I missed a turn (again) and ended up descending the hill on the opposite side of where I had wanted to be. So then I had to throw myself down what seemed like a double black diamond slope, covered with gravel, rock and dry leaves (scary, but I made it), and then cross the jungle - wait, no, just a swamp with a gazillion of mosquitoes and mud puddles.

As I had not planned to do that, I was not too happy about the mud, and just when I was at the halfway point farthest away from my car, I slipped on a rock under ankle-deep mud, and when I tried to catch myself, I slipped again. Kersplatch, I fell full length into the mud, rolling over onto my back from the momentum, and emerged looking like the mud monster. In all my running career, I have never covered myself in that much mud all over - now I was really p*ssed.

Ran into two hikers, and a mountain biker, and they were stunned by my look, while I was quite embarrassed. Only downside was that I bonked my knee cap on a blade-shaped rock, which really hurt. I could not walk it off, it kept hurting for the rest of the run, and it is still hurting now with every move. I iced it, but I think it will develop into a nice bruise.

I ran out of energy on the last few miles, and realized that other than breakfast, I had not eaten anything all day. Not sure, but maybe this caused my bad mood on that run after the plan had gone out the window.

Finished in a reasonable time, to my surprise.

Lesson learned:

My ability to get myself into trouble has no limits. Where there's an opportunity, I will find a way.

QOTD: The most dangerous animal of all - true crime story. Not sure if it will be worth buying the book after I've read the free sample, though. Just does not capture my mind.

Run for fun.