Trailer Trash

Please don't be dumb (Read 51 times)

Birdwell

This should not have happened.

A hiker died in Zion National Park when he got caught in a flood in the Narrows. 

They went into the narrows early Saturday morning.

The National Weather service issued flash flood warnings Friday afternoon at approx. 4:30 p.m.

LB2

People do not appreciate the meaning of "flash flood" in areas with those narrow canyons. I didn't either until I saw one. It is almost unbelievable how those things come down. I wonder if the guy saw the water subsiding some and tried to swim for it. I guess we may never know.

LB2

runtraildc

I was not expecting the one who swam downstream to be the survivor.  He was incredibly lucky and so unfortunate for his friend.  What a terrifying way to die (either drowning or getting swept away by floods, after watching it for hours).   And completely preventable.  Their arrogance at ignoring the NWS and NPS warnings is breathtaking.  Too few people think they'll end up lost, harmed or in danger despite the warnings, and don't consider those they also put at risk trying to rescue them.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Very tragic. I thought the guy who jumped first would be the victim. I wonder if he will feel guilty for the rest of his life for giving his friend a bad example and sending him to his death?

A friend of mine almost got caught in a flash flood in Zion. He measured the time it took for the current to rise dry to first ripples to raging river - less than one minute! And it had not even been raining where he was, the storm was a mile or two away.

We have to respect nature in those areas, and think ahead over a longer timespan than in other mountainous regions (which is not easy to always remember, especially if you're out there on a glorious day).

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Very tragic.  I also thought that the guy who went into the water was going to be the one who didn't make it.

I wonder if there are any other flash flood warnings given other than a National Weather Service bulletin over the radio or TV, like a sign posted at the trailhead.  If they were not from the area and out camping or in transit and not listening to the radio than they probably didn't know about the flash flood warning.

A similar thing happened to an experienced ultra runner in Austin Tx who was killed by a flash flood a few years back, he was running along the Barton Creek Greenbelt which has some high banks in areas, but nothing like Zion.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Birdwell

Usually this sign can be found at the entrance to the Riverwalk trail anytime there is the threat of a flood.

The park service is usually quite diligent about getting it out.

Sandy-2

Can't get much better warning than that !!!!

Still sorry to hear about it though.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL