Trailer Trash

Watermelon Wednesdailies 8/3 (Read 16 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Panic time as I make final preparations for Montana and Elkhorn. What prompted that? I just noticed that UltraRunning rated the course a 4/5 and Hyner was only a 3/3 in difficulty. Besides I have this fear of missing a turn and getting lost. At least I feel better prepared for Elkhorn than I did for Hyner, but still not well prepared.

QOTD: On that same note what races have you run that you felt the least prepared for and how did it turn out for you? That's a surprsingly hard one for me to answer for myself. My first inclination is to say my first marathon, Boston 1970, since I did no marathon specific preparation for it and had been training for much shorter races like 800m to 10K. In hindsight I was pretty well prepared and ran sub-3:00.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Run at lunch. I'm a bit sore from pushing the pace yesterday. Guess I need to do that more often.

QOTD:  My first JFK.  I had no idea how to train and what to do with nutrition. I had read as much as I could from the old Ultra List (remember that e-mail based system of pre-forum and FB days) but was still figuring things out.  I did great for 44 miles but really slogged home the last 6 on the road section. In hindsight, I had not consumed enough calories or had enough fluids. I was down 5 pounds when I got home and that was after drinking a bunch.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

It's definitely a difficult course- lots of gain and descent, some of it "tiptoe" steep. They usually have it pretty well flagged, if you don't see a flag after a bit- you've strayed.

It's going to be warm (but thankfully not as bad as last year- 100 degrees  Wink, so be prepared for that. I would err on the side of bringing too much water vs too little- the aid stations are a bit far apart.

I'll give you some specific tidbits Friday evening when you get in.

I'm actually going to run AFTER work today, forecast high is 80 degrees, have been in the 90's for over a week. Will get 5-ish miles in.

qotd: my first race- the Bridger Ridge Run; it has to rank in the top ten toughest 20 milers.  The relentless climbs and altitude were brutal, made it but just barely. The next I ran it (2 years later) I shaved over an hour off- much better prepared

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I ran an easy 3 miles yesterday before work. Then, at work, I got sent over to help some folks with a campus move that turned into a complete nightmare. I could go on for days about that, but I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that two others and I had the displeasure of working with one of the laziest humans this side of Mars. No run today. I overslept.

QOTD: I like this question because it makes me reflect on something that I think is important. Objectively, one might say that the DNF I had at Pinhoti in 2012 would be the race I was least prepared for. However, my training was sufficient for completion of the course. I just made some terrible mistakes in judgement early on. I guess I was poorly prepared to do what I was trying to do, but I was well trained for my ability as a runner. I think the race I was least prepared for was the Cheaha 50K in February, 2014. My training was virtually non-existent leading up to the race. I put in a couple of 4 hour runs, and I had paced Lace Up at Cajun Coyote for 20 miles in December, 2013. In the 3 months prior to the run, I had run about 3 twenty mile runs very easy. I did do some fast running for much shorter distances. That race has about 7000 feet of gain, which pretty stiff for a 50K, but it has no altitude. I was really using it as scouting run for the 2014 Pinhoti, which runs north to south. The Cheaha 50K is on the same trail but runs south to north from mile 69 to 40 with a little extra to make up the 31 miles. It was slow, but it accomplished what I wanted and was fun. I think I finished in 7:50ish.

LB2

Daydreamer1

For some reason the Mojo is missing this week.  Just have no desire to run. While it might be my body telling me that it's time for a break I think it's more of a mind thing right now.  Most likely looking at a bike ride this afternoon before work. If I get my butt out of the house it should be about 30 miles.

wc - Don't sweat it too much. I can't remember if you use or have used trekking poles, but if you don't they can help a lot.  Clear your mind of the major doubts and go enjoy some nice scenery knowing that we will all be jealous .

QOTD:  Probably  2013 Hyner. I was going to do the 50k then rolled an ankle three weeks prior. Bumped down to the 25k at the last moment and hobbled my way through it. Had a pretty good time even though my time was well over 5 hours which was actually pretty good considering how bad my ankle was.  The same year I did the Megatransect  with a balky knee. Had to use a trekking pole to get down the hills.  I was otherwise well trained and did surprisingly well.

Edit:  Reading some of the other posts that were put up while I was typing reminded be of the Bike race up Mt Evans. I think that was in 2012 that I did it. I had been training hard for Hyner and Rothrock and had little bike time. Finally started getting some bike miles shortly before going out but not near enough to get my legs in biking shape.  The first 10-12 miles were OK until I hit 10,000 feet then the altitude kicked my butt. Had to stop several times above 12500 feet and it took me a little over 5 hours to do 28 miles if I remember right. The ride down was a blast though. That only took about a hour and would have been less if the road would have been smoother.

Second Edit: I just checked my logs and found that it really only took me 3:44 to climb up.

XtremeTaper

Last night, 7 miles for the Lady and I on the Birdsboro/HayCreek watershed trails. It was still a bit humid, but indeed there was just a touch of coolness in the air. Not many people out and about. I only saw 2 teenagers out walking their dog, a miniature red dachshund, up by the reservoir. It was sort of hilarious when the dog decided to play chase with the Lady.

Today, another 7 miler I think. Coventry Woods trails. I should look to run with some effort tonight. Despite the hills I often push this loop as the big climb is early on in the loop.

QOTD: I'm typically somewhat prepared for my races. The one that jumps out the most (besides attempting Hyner with an injury) is my first 5k. It was just a local July 4th race, and I decided hey "I just finished my first marathon 6 weeks ago so let's race a 5k balls to the wall and see what happens". What happened is I did pretty well for 1-2 miles and then had a horrible sidestitch and loss of pace for the final part of the race. Old men, small children, were passing me at the end there like I was standing still. Gosh that was long 8-10 minutes.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

WC- plus 1 on what DD said about treking poles. If you can use them use them even if you have never used them before. You will learn quickly and they really help later in the race with the up and downs.

Guess who did ten miles this morning.  Yeap, still on the ten mile kick. Only 18 days before race day. Left Mr. Jangles to home, way to warm for his panting butt

QOTD: Funny enough it was my first race that was ten miles long. The farthest my fat butt had gone before was  8 miles. At the end I thought I was going to pass out and ended up laying on the curb for quite awhile. I did it in the whopping time of 1:39, this morning I ran ten miles in  1:30 at a easy talking pace. Course there is also 60 pounds less of me to move that far.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I ran 5.6 this morning..thinking of running with the group after work also.  Gym at lunch..dentist in a half hour for 2 fillings. 

QOTD: I rmeber running LA Marathon unprepared and wanting to die around mil 16. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I stayed in bed this morning...it was good.  I am trying to only do this a couple times a month as not to start a bad habit.  I won't try and make it up later.

wc - you will do fine.  Just remember one thing - you are out there to have fun. Enjoy it!

QOTD: Probably most of them!?!? Ok so the one that sticks out the most if my first marathon.  In 2008 I went from couch to marathon in 9 months.  My longest run heading into the marathon was 19 miles - and that was a huge struggle for me.  On race day, after getting over the anxiety, I settled in and had a decent race.  My first ultra (Blues Cruise 50k) in 2011 was similar in that I felt unprepared but in reality I did ok.  Three years ago I truly felt that I was under trained for Stone Mill 50 but ran my fastest 50 mile time.  Hmmm...maybe being under trained is the key.  probably not but I think not being over trained is the more important factor.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Latecomer here- 5 miles in the nh mountains.  2 with the kids and 3 with the sister's Brittany.  The last bit was uphill and hot.  Still not great.  But little DS is getting his rear kicked in his XC camp😃

qotd- lots.  No epic races with good stories though.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Easy ( ) interval workout, 4 x 600m, 600m jog recovery, about half of what wast scheduled if I wasn't tapering.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I hope this isn't an ill omen, but the screen on my 910xt froze while trying to transfer data to Garmin Connect. Ii can't even turn the device off, at least as far as what the screen shows.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Sandy-2

Did 6 up on the single track after work today. Foot felt very good, almost pain-free. Let's see what it's like tomorrow.

qptd: My first Leadville and my recent 100k. Both races I was injured and I probably shouldn't have started. Since I was injured I couldn't put in the training. I only hope I'm not headed for a similar fate in October...

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL