Trailer Trash

Mad Hatter Wednesdailies (Read 19 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Looks like a couple folks in the beer mile, possibly more if wine and gluten-free beer are available.  Maybe I'll do one solo, write it up, and see if that changes any minds here.

8 on hard trails tonight.  Raining right now, so trail should be nice and muddy.

QOTD: Except cold weather running, do you wear a hat when you run?  If so, what do you wear?

I hardly ever wear a hat when running, but I did when I ran that damn mountain race because the high elevation sun was in full force.  I will probably wear a baseball cap for some of Montour.  Otherwise, never when training.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

runtraildc

6.5 miles yesterday. A track workout, so that kicked my a**.  A bit tired today, so maybe no run. But there is a delightful fog out right now and that is my favorite running weather so maybe a couple of miles...

AT-- I forgot to mention netflix's 'Wild, Wild Country' as another recommendation. DS and I are about halfway through. very interesting.

Yesterday's qotd: Nope, never will. I like beer and to combine it with chugging, then running would lead to puking. And everyone knows that puking after a food leads to an intense avoidance of said food/drink.

QOTD: Yes, quite frequently, depending on the weather. I usually don't wear sunglasses, so a hat helps shade the eyes. And if it is raining, definitely the hat. Hate water getting in my eyes and on my face.

XtremeTaper

5 slow miles last night on the local trail with the Lady. In the arboretum section they recently spread some finely ground cinders on parts of the trail. A little deep in places. Almost sand like. Not sure what sort of run I will try this evening. I am sure it will be slow again though. Stuck in the creaky zone again.

QOTD: Rarely wear a hat while running. I tend to feel too hot with my head covered. I rationalize I am in the woods and run mostly in the evening so not full sun exposure. I do wear a baseball cap while golfing.

Runtrail - A foggy run in the spring/mild weather is the best. Sometimes when I run up at Coventry Woods on misty days, the top of the ridge it feels like you are in a cloud.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Might walk at lunch if weather clears up.

Beer Mile - Kelly A used to host a beer Mile series near his house. Not sure how many laps he did, but he was disqualified for drinking PBR's, since that's not a real beer.  

Wine Mile - now that sounds like a sure way to puke.

QOTD: Yes, wear a hat or visor on every run. Running in the morning has a lot of dancing lights through the trees, and a hat helps keep light out of my eyes. I have a new hat that the brim folds up so stuffs away easily. Love it.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Have a few things to work on around the house then I'm going to head up on the mountain for about 13 miles.

AT- Sorry to hear the Lyme is going to knock you out of Montour.

QOTD: Always wear something.  Once it gets out of the 50s I'll switch to a visor unless it's raining.  I have to wear something to keep the sweat out of my eyes and I don't really like headbands.

Right now I have a total lack of interest in running longer distances. Montour won't be good. I'd drop out if DW would let me. She volunteered to work the aid station so she doesn't want to back out of that. We could work it together I suppose.

At the same time I think my lack of interest in running is a sign from God that I shouldn't be doing it anymore. Especially the stuff that leads me way into the outback where I could get injured and not have medical and emergency teams standing by to bail me out.

Even Penn State agrees with God on this one.

http://www.wfaa.com/video/weather/accuweather/penn-state-pulls-plug-on-outdoor-clubs-trips/607-8106220

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/pennsylvania/penn-state-says-wilderness-is-too-risky-for-outdoors-clubs/article_25acbeec-3910-5edf-9c61-4e624600d367.html

It's a good thing we have strong, progressive leaders to keep the young adults safe and set an example for us older idiots.

Of course I could just say Fu@#k Ped State.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I managed 3.4 miles last night.  I also thought of you guys when I got stuck for a while behind a couple blasting music from their phone.    Noise pollution!!!  And why do you need to blast your music when you're running together?  I don't get it.

QOTD: I almost always wear a hat or visor.  Mostly to keep hair out of my face, but the sun/rain protection is nice as well.

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not sure if I'll get out today or not. Forecast is rain, so it depends on when and how hard it rains.

qotd: I wear a hat mainly to keep off the rain, but also for protection from the summer sun, otherwise no hat. My main hat is a North Face baseball style running hat.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Dreamer - WTF's wrong with Penn State. Can't believe they are doing away with outdoor club.  Damn lawyers ruin everything. They cite lack of cell service as one reason. HA, as Couch can attest, cell service is spotty all over Happy Valley due to the mountains. Maybe they should close the school.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gator eye

took a rest day, just wasn't feelin the love for a run this morning now I feel lazy lazy lazy. Where did all my motivation go??? I don't know...

QOTD: If it's not cold then the horse flies are out and I wear a hat to keep those little bastards from eating the back of my head

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Daydreamer - Glad to hear you're still in Montour.  I might need someone to hold this noob's hand.   My DW will be there too to help crew.  Of course it will be the blind leading the blind, but that's all part of the fun.

RE:  Penn State.  What a ridiculous crock of shit.  Here's a solution to the cell phone coverage concern.  Leave the damn phone home.  That's what I do.  No cell service issues at all!  Worked for many thousands of years.

Gator - What kind of hat do you wear that keeps the flies off your neck?  Is it like a baseball cap with a piece of cloth off the back?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6 miles with the group this morning...and three dogs..

QOTD:  I where a truckers hat when it rains to keep rain from hitting my face.

DD:  WTF!!!  Pen State is ridiculous!

XT:  What's wrong with good old dirt!  They covered our single tracks with gavel because there is asbestos in the ground.  After a few years we have the gravel trail with a new single track next to the gavel cause folks hate the gravel and aren't worried about the asbestos.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Gator eye

Bert- on one of my ball caps I run in I have a small USA flag safety pined on the back to cover my neck.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a good lifting session in yesterday evening; this evening DD, Tiny Elvis and I are headed to the trails for 4-5 miles.  afterwards going to have supper out

qotd: I usually wear a low profile ball cap, finally broke it out after six months in various weight beanies 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Not sure if I’ll get some miles in today. Just had an ice cream sundae instead. 

Penn State: most ridiculous bunch ever, just morons. There is no cell signal out in the mountains, of course not. Why should there be one? To satisfy the lawyers? But as I know the area here, and how everything is dictated by Penn State, it won’t be much longer before the whole wild and natural areas in Rothrock State Forest are plastered with cell towers, to guarantee spotless signal, so that not a single one of their well-drunk student imposters gets lost on his unprepared and reckless outing.

They walk up “Mount” Nittany, 600 or so ft of elevation gain, in flip flops, then arrive on the top totally exhausted late in the afternoon, are too dull or drunk to find either one of the two trails leading the two miles around the mountain, and then they call 911 to be rescued in the dark, after they have tried for hours to climb down over the (small) rocks and “cliffs” (10 ft high or so) in the dark off the trails and find themselves stuck, flip flops lost, no jacket, and all. Happens every week out here in the summer. So maybe Penn State is right banning the outdoor activities.

Sad just for the real outdoor students who are prepared, and who are now missing out on some great hikes and adventures.

QOTD: I almost always wear a hat, for several reasons: to keep the gnats away from my face (they don’t seem to like getting stuck underneath the visor), to keep my hair out off my face, but still cover my forehead, for sun and glare protection, and to prevent bug bites on the top and back of my head. I like headsweats hats, they fit my small head and are very lightweight. In the winter, I wear different beanies, wool, fleece, or neoprene.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Ended up only doing 11.1 miles.  Had a minor ankle roll so I didn't push it and cut out some of the nasty part of the trail.  Thank God I had my cell phone in case I needed to call in the Calvary!

Bert-o  -  At this point I'll probably walk a lot but I'll be there. Looking forward to meeting you.

FTYC - Thanks for the local color on the PSU students. I can see that happening. Now if that was their reason then I can see why they would stop the support.  But then they need to come out and tell it how it is.  "Our students are so idiotic that we can't trust them to stray very far so therefore they have to do it totally on their own".

As far as this being the fault of the lawyers I'm sure Penn State can beat any lawsuit. They seem to do pretty well in that department.