Trailer Trash

Miles Monday (Read 33 times)

LB2

I'll do 10 to 12 after work. It is going to be a hot one. This is one of the worst summers I can remember.

QOTD: Have you ever been bitten by a snake or had a close call while trail running (or any other outdoor activity)?

I have had one close call this summer where I almost stepped right on top of a cottonmouth while running. He was stretched out across the trail in an area with a lot of roots. My foot landed about 4 inches in front of his head. I had to scramble to get the dog to give him a wide berth. My dog was running behind me on the leash, which is probably a good thing event though I was annoyed by him slowing me down. It may have saved him and me from a nasty encounter. Other than that, I have been spooked by a few black snakes. I did step on a cottonmouth once on a warm day in late February while I was scouting for turkeys. He struck and hit my pants leg; I looked down and saw him poised to hit again. I jumped and yelled. I ran one way; he scooted the other way. I spend a great deal of time outside, and those are the only two real instances where I can remember a close call.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  biking to work and strength training this evening

qotd: knock on wood I haven't.  I had a co-worker who really liked snakes and was in the process of picking up a small prairie rattler and got bit, he went to the emergency room, but the reaction was so severe they had to fly him to Billings (150 miles away)- they managed to get things under control, but a very touch and go situation  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  I might have to start running before the sun gets up to try and beat the heat this week.

QOTD:  2 close calls, but never hit.  Once, stepped right over a rattler thinking it was a branch the other time, I was in mid stride when I recognized another rattler but by doing some funny gyrations, in mid air, I missed it by an inch.  Both times every branch I saw after that looked like snakes. See a lot of black snakes on my runs., and have seen 1 copper head that was coiled next to the trail.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

5.35 miles on some nice trails around the lake where we are camping  at.  (Luckily we have an air-conditioned cabin )  The dewpoint when I was running yesterday was 107°, I'm ready for fall!

QOTD Just jumping over the usual snakes when I run which scare the snot out of me.  One time as a child we were  fishing. I was sitting on a hollow stump and when I stood up and went to sit back down,my mom  calmly grabbed me and lead me away from the stump.  It turns out there was a rattlesnake  curled up in a stump  I was sitting in !

I had a good rowing workout, but no run.

QOTD: I've had couple close calls with timber rattlers while hiking.

I have also been bitten by non venomous snakes that I was holding.

Canoeing and kayaking through braided channels through thickets, I have had water snakes drop on me or into/onto my boat.  There was one creek we used to run where this was a common occurrence.  It definitely gave me a start  every time Smile

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Occasional Runner

An easy 5 miles with the dogs this morning. After running 100 miles, then quickly hopping on a 5 hour flight, I feel like shit.

QOTD: I sat down right next to a rattle snake last summer. It was a clear case of "Kill or be killed". As you can see, I'm alive.

Daydreamer1

Rather toasty outside today. Tempting to sit inside in the AC. Alas I have to get back to work on my shed roof and follow that up with a bike ride.  Foot is still too tender to run on.  Hope to get in about 25 miles.

LB2 - Are cottonmouths as aggressive as a lot of people claim they are?

TT- If a snake dropped in on me like that I'd never go back. Probably give me a heart attack.

QOTD: Never been bit. Rarely see any when running, thankfully. What I have seen are just black snakes or other non-poisonous ones. I will see a lot of blacks lying out on the road when I'm on the road bike.  I did see a huge rattler  once while riding the mountain bike. It was lying with it's tail across a service road. The road was 7-8 foot wide and it was 3/4 across the road with it's head in the bushes. Based on the thickness of the body where it went into the bushes I'd say it was at least another foot I couldn't see. The "experts" will tell you we don't have rattlers that long up here, but the old guys that spend a lot of time in the woods will say otherwise.  The good thing about our rattlers is they are very sluggish. Our copperheads are more aggressive.

They also claim that a lot of rattler bites up here on humans are actually dry bites as the snake won't inject venom since it takes too much energy to regenerate it.  Don't know if it's true and don't care to find out.

LB2

LB2 - Are cottonmouths as aggressive as a lot of people claim they are?

They can be, but I guess that is true with any snake. I think for the most part they try to avoid humans just like all snakes. The one I almost stepped on earlier in the summer never moved or got aggressive. He was quite large. The one I actually stepped on struck, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because I was standing on him. That particular place has a high population of cottonmouths. I have walked up to the edge of a canebrake during turkey season and actually smelled them. I have run across a few that will stand their ground, though. However, I am not an expert on snakes.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Counting down the days until I see the doc.  My foot hurts at rest today, which is a new thing.  Hoo-ray.

QOTD: I've almost stepped on plenty of snakes, but mostly just harmless guys.  I've been told we have rattlers in Wisconsin, but I've never seen one.  And I missed seeing any Gila Monsters in Arizona.

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A quick 3.1 miles in the hot sun.

QOTD: The only time I've seen a venomous snake is while driving slowly down a gravel road in north central PA. I;ve nearly stepped on a number of innocent garter and black snakes, including during the Endless Summer 6-Hour Race last summer.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

10 mountain miles, which were rather swamp miles, in the heat, with lots of elevation and good company from mosquitoes, flies and gnats. About 30 of them circling my head at all times. Love them... 

After the torrential downpours two days ago, the ground is still oversaturated with water. Little creeks running down the trails, and ankle-deep mud in areas which are usually just a tad moist. Now my shoes are drying in the sun, with about a pound of mud caked onto each.

QOTD: I have almost stepped on timber rattlers several times, and jumped over one last year. Just a few days ago, I again put my foot right in front of a rattler's head. I try to avoid "rattlesnake mountain" in the summer months, but they are just everywhere, and I have a few encounters on my runs every year. Some black snakes and rat snakes, water snakes, and garter snakes over the years, but fortunately not a copperhead yet.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

Finally home. Love going out to those western states but the drive is horrific. Can't fly as I have too much crap, gear, etc. and I'd probably end up renting some worthless car to try to negotiate some of those mountain roads plus it's always nice to just have your own car being a rolling gear nest.  Also unpacking is not nearly as fun as packing to go. But it's always good to get home.

QOTD: I've almost stepped on plenty of snakes, but mostly just harmless guys.  I've been told we have rattlers in Wisconsin, but I've never seen one.  And I missed seeing any Gila Monsters in Arizona.

We have both Timber rattlers and Massasauga rattlers in Wi. Heaviest concentration in the driftless area.  Not all that common but enough anyway.  As a youngster I was climbing on a wood pile at some friends cabin in Sauk co. and leaned against a tree only to suddenly realize I actually leaned against a rattler on the tree. Scared both of us pretty good. Probably a little over 4' long. Pretty wild encounter.   Otherwise I have jumped over some decent sized snakes on the trail a few times but I have no idea what they were and just kept relentlessly moving forward. No fear but just not overly interested in them.

Sandy-2

A good 5 miler along the river this morning (Tues).  It was really foggy and misty, my glasses were useless after a little while.

qotd: Back in TX I was running with a small group and the guy right in front of kind of hopped over something and stammered...  cop, cop, cop,   SNAKE !!!!  He thought it was a stick at first, but when it moved he couldn't get the words out, I was right behind him and almost landed on the thing, but reacted when he got the word "snake" out.  It was funny...... afterwards, but it did get our pulse-rates up.  We did stop, got a stick and shoo'd the copperhead to the side of the path.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

slosh

Got a little over 3 hours on the pct....2 up a mountain and 1 down.  It was great.  Really enjoy getting in the mountains and exploring new trails/areas.

Qotd: I've never been bitten or really had any close calls.  Knock on wood.

One time I was pushing my daughter in the jogging stroller, she was probably 2, and we crossed paths with a big black snake.  I picked it up and was showing it to her, she was petting it when mom ran around the corner and screamed at the top of her lungs! I didn't want to instill a fear of snakes in her.  4 years later, She is scared of them but does know which ones are venomous at least.

some call me Tim

7 on the home trails today. was sposed to be rest but my scrambled brains needed it.

qotd: I've never even been close to anything but a garter snake outside.