Trailer Trash

Sunny Saturdailies (Read 46 times)

The pooch and I had a great spring like morning on the trails.  We ran 6 miles of mostly single track trail.

QOTD: Pass

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Good morning,

Just getting ready to head out to the trails; hoping to get in 15 but we'll see if this lingering chest cold will allow it.

qotd: pass

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

morning all!  beautiful day here today, sun is shining and we're headed into the low 40's- a little sign of Spring?  will head out this afternoon for a 8 miler in the hills- it's going to be challenging as the slush turns the ground to mud.

qotd: do you do any "specialized" running ie hill repeats, tempo runs, fartleks etc?

I've done some occasional hill training, but other than I've just been running- feels like I might be missing out on some good training

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I just got back from 9 miles on the snowy AT.  Warm temperatures, but snow still on the trails.  Saw the most people on the trail since last fall.

QOTD:  Yes, I  mix up my pace and distance almost every run.  I do speed work, hill repeats, tempo runs long runs, recovery runs. My long runs may change up and sometimes I do a 3-1 run where I run slow for the first 3/4 and then run a tempo pace for the last 1/4.  Some long runs are done for distance on flatter terrain and some are technical runs, done for time (time-on-feet).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Did a total of 15.5 miles (2 on pavement and then 13.5 on a varied terrain) - 2 large climbs (one which had 600 ft elev. gain in 0.4 miles), some long gradual downhill as well as some rail trail.  Was absolutely beautiful out.  Spring must be moving in all around.

AT - I am surprised that some of the AT still has snow.  I was up on Stony Mountain today (Dauphin Co) and thought for sure I would see snow up there but it's 90% gone.

QOTD: Nothing special for me.  I try to add things here and there but I don't really stick to any one thing.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Good morning! I did a 6 mile tempo run, then an hour of core work in the gym, then a 7 miles trail run on Antelope Island. It's been a great day so far!

QOTD: I do hill work and tempo runs pretty frequently.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - I am surprised that some of the AT still has snow.  I was up on Stony Mountain today (Dauphin Co) and thought for sure I would see snow up there but it's 90% gone.

Parts of Michaux got over 12 inches of snow on Wednesday.  We had 8 in Gettysburg, but all gone now.  As you can see from my picture, we had 5-6 inches of snow the whole way.  We ran north from Big Flat toward Pine Grove Furnace.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

5.5 miles with the group on hilly trails covered with thin crunchy snow, ice and frozen mud. Screw shoes made this easy to navigate.

then another 5.3 miles solo, on the same trails,. now soggy and covered with a thin layer of mud. Screw shoes didn't do squat for me by then.

QOTD:  Since trail day is usually long run saturday as well, I don't do anything strenuous.  But I will seek out steep hills to go up at a nice slow pace.  Speed work is on the road on tuesdays.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Had a nice FA race this morning, up and down the glacier. And still a glacier it was, a blanket of pure ice covering most of the course. Just like I had feared, many people without traction aids fell and got their knees, hips and elbows bruised and scratched.

With my microspikes on, I was just flying downhill - I wouldn't have gone uphill without them in the first place.

I am not sure if I could beat last year's time (54:00 on the 10k, 900 ft elevation gain), but I was fairly fast and definitely not slower than 56:00, somewhere between 27th and 33rd place out of 57 runners total. Hard to tell because several people turned around early and passed by me on the "back" part of the out-and-back course where I counted them.

The weather was and still is marvelous, 54 degrees, and I'm up for doing chores in the yard and at our storage unit. Can't wait until the first spring flowers will come out!

TT: Nice spring outing! There were two dogs running our FA race this morning, and I was thinking of Marley and you! Edit: Just realized how funny that sounds - no pun intended! Wink

EDRW: Hope your cough will pass soon. No fun running while breathing through a straw!

warden: Sounds more like a swamp field trip than a run... Hope you had fun!

AT: First I read "saw most people on the trail fall", LOL. That's what happened here. Still looks like a wonderful spring run. Thanks for the pic!

Jamie: Nice miles. Seems like you are getting in great shape for the Hyner!

lace: Great workout! Group run on Antelope Island?

jby: Despite your reservations, screw shoes are still best for such mixed conditions of slush, snow, ice and mud. Sounds like your run was a bit exhausting.

QOTD: I mix things up, but don't have a plan or schedule.

When I feel things are going well, or when I go out for a shorter run, I often make it a tempo run. When I really don't have much time, I do hill repeats behind my house. When I feel I need to shape up, I do fartleks on all of my runs. Speed work when I don't have a car and don't want to run the 3 miles to the trails, so I opt for the flat loop (0.5 miles or 0.66 miles options) near my house. Long runs whenever I have enough time and don't mind the exhaustion afterwards.

Run for fun.

Low_O2

Good afternoon all! Sounds like the spring like weather we were having this week has moved on to other parts, pretty wintery here today.

Got out this morning for 10 miles on the La Luz trail with the dog, it was a beautiful run with a fresh coating of snow on everything. Started with about 1" of snow on the ground at the trailhead at 7000ft, but ended up being 6-8" with 12+" drifts up in the rockslide at 9300ft. We broke trail for a good chunk of the climb so shorts and micro socks were probably not the best choice, made for some cold legs and ankles! Once again wish I would have taken the camera.....

Probably going to head out in a bit for a few more miles with my wife.

QOTD: Nothing really structured, but I do include a lot of hills in my regular routine and like to pick up the pace on random runs if I'm feeling speedy that day. Would like to get a bit more serious about my training but have too much fun just enjoying the trails!

I ran a road 5k this morning. I'm a little disappointed with the results. I was hoping all the running I have been doing lately would have resulted in a better time, despite not doing speedwork. Oh well, not a pr, but I think I ran it as well as I could today. And I did set a course pr by over a minute.

I also got a cool 2nd in age group medal (and I know there were more than 2 of us Wink).

qotd: I like running all sorts of kinds of hill repeats, and it looks like I need to start doing some intervals or tempos or something.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

Daydreamer1

Today was one of those days when I hate working nights. It was so gorgeous out that I wanted to go for a long run, but after a 24 hour shift I needed some rest. On the flip side if I hadn't worked a 24 hour shift yesterday I would have had to work all day today so I wouldn't have gotten any running in. Why, oh why can't I be so rich I wouldn't have to work!!!! Sad? Anyway I did get in a 8.1 mile loop and turned in my best time of the year so far.

QOTD: Other then trying to always run a hilly course I'm horrible about structuring my training. I really need to do some speedwork. Last year I had went to the gym quite a bit and was doing speedwork on the dreadmill. I can tell that I'm slower this year and I blame it on the lack of speedwork.

Good evening everyone. Looks like some good runs. Had to take a srd for my pt test today so I did get a whopping 2 miles in but wish I was out on the trails. Ran it in 12:06 so we'll see how the legs feel tomorrout when I get my long run in.  Have not run that fast in a while so I'm hoping I don't wake up sore.

Qotd: I'm trying to incorporate more speed workouts while continuing to put in high mile weeks. Some of the "elite" ultra runners say they don't do speed workouts but these are guys and gals who have sub 3 hour marathons. I think it's important to know that kind of speed at the marathon distance and that it translates well to ultras. But hey, I'm a newbie to ultras so we'll see. Hoping it pays dividends

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

SWEAT! Actual real sweat and 60 degree weather. I delayed my run in order to join the family at the zoo and to enjoy some sunshine during the run. I planned 3:20 of running, miscalculated the distance (I'm not much of a planner), and ended up getting a nice 3 mile walk in at dusk. Just a really great day out.

QOTD: I did a long stretch of Maffetone- type running, and now have started doing various types of hill repeats, long hills, and tempo work one day each week (typically rotating between the 3). Every so often I'll do a MAF test, just to "take my temperature."

Irish Luck

So late to post. Had a great 12K race today and managed to place 3rd 1st in my age group. Fun course with quite a few hills with rocks and roots as well as a finish that covers part of the state XC course. It was fun. Edited: after reading the final results online this AM, it appears that I won my age group.

QOTD: no. Not great at following a plan, but I aim to do hilly runs as often as possible.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.