Trailer Trash

Waylaid Wednesdaily (Read 263 times)

Weegee

Some kinda something for me today, but not sure what.  Have to work this morning but later this afternoon I should be able to squeeze in a quick 5-ish.

Sorry to hear about your feet boyjame!  Having a case of the old metatarsalgia / neuroma / crappyfootia myself I can sympathize.  Lately I've gone to cobbling together my own "custom" orthotics because I could never quite get someone else to do it right.  The green superfeet are a good base, and then I just put gaffer tape and foam underneath the bottom of them (not on top where the foot makes contact), whittling them away until it gets right.  It seemed like a recipe for disaster, but it has worked better than the orthotics long-term, allowing for a bit more variation than with the custom made jobs.  YMMV, of course.

QOTD: Anything under 80F seems cold to me.  Crewing at Badwater was just about perfect.

Uh oh... now what?

Oh boy, headlight on, scary florescent yellow don't shoot me vest on, stars overhead, out the door, almost went out at 3:30 when there were no clouds and the Pleiades were calling, We are just a few days away from the 8:00 a.m. (PST) sunrise and 4:17 p.m. (PST) sunset--starting to think of winter.
      The morning pavement, trail, pavement three miler is a sort of emergency thing because so many of the afternoon runs are runs interrupted (stupid state budget cuts).

mecrowe: Adapt adapt adapt...
      lace_up: Somewhere is something I scribbled about a full moon and a frozen beard, but never eyelids... pedaling with one foot?
      sugnim: Read "The Children's Blizzard"?
      toyger: I still think of long swims as one of the most challenging physical things a person can do (one-mile qualifier swim long ago)
      runtraildc: safe travels homeward
      AT-runner: Tree? Uh oh... we need a tree, thank you.
      LB2: We could use this thread to determine what "cold" is.
      EDRW: No clouds a little ways west of you.
      DoppleBock: Check with MMMMMM--I think someone is required to mention beer each day.
      Birdwell: Are you on trails in the dark before dawn?
      majope: Do you go back and forth with ºF and ºC now that you have been in Oslo a while?
      NorthernHarrier: Yay for patience and the return
      boyjame: hang in there, you are young enough to work through this and still have years and years left to run--really, this in one of the few things I can speak factually about.
      FTYC: We have been in this new place for just over three months and I still don't know my way around in the dark... knees and toes are feelers.

Weegee:  I cut up old insoles... it was hard to find the right thickness of foal--had to make supination shoes for a while.

The shoe question: If you have lightweight trainers, wear them on the tracks. It is one of the few times I try to find the lightest shoes I have so I can concentrate of foot strike, form, and vaguely remembered speed.

QOTD: We went out down to =22ºF during our year in North Dakota. I got to thinking about the almost ninety degrees of thermal shock awaiting when I opened the door.  Nonrunning trivia:  I was outside working down to the magical -44ºF.  I was amazed at being out in it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

QOTD: Anything under 80F seems cold to me.  Crewing at Badwater was just about perfect.

Weegee, you're my kind of guy! Finally someone who shares the same thoughts on temps as me! However, for running, when it tops out over the 90's, I might bail out.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran into my couch this night and bruised my big toe. Blue tip, looks weird, but does not hurt too much. If it had been your couch, it might not have been so bad, although I'm still faster than it (or so I claim), but I swear MY couch was just coming up towards me at the speed of sound, and - bang!

So, when you drink, you are not Faster Than Your Couch!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

sugnim

sugnim: I'm also surprised at how many night runners don't bother wearing visible gear. I have reflective shoe laces from RoadID, so incase I get late and run in the dark without wearing any reflective gear, at least I have my shoes lighting up whenever a car approaches me, or when I run under a light.

Reflective shoe laces?  Cool!  I think I just found a good stocking stuffer for my SO.  

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So, when you drink, you are not Faster Than Your Couch!

Ah, that explains it! Should have thought of that earlier...

Maybe this will also make it into the medical textbooks: Identity loss after beer consumption (ILBC)

Run for fun.

sugnim

sugnim: Read "The Children's Blizzard"?

No.  It looks very sad.

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Good day folks..

I got 3 miles in last night and the legs felt really good.  Tonight's run will be causal maybe another 3 miles trying out my new Altra Lone Peaks. 

Be well,

JB

ultraendure.blogspot.com

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The shoe question: If you have lightweight trainers, wear them on the tracks. It is one of the few times I try to find the lightest shoes I have so I can concentrate of foot strike, form, and vaguely remembered speed. 

Thanks, John! Light - my lightest shoes are my new Brooks Pure Grit, I'll take those. Just have to clean off the mud from yesterday's inaugurational run.

Run for fun.

majope: Do you go back and forth with ºF and ºC now that you have been in Oslo a while?

Oulu (close--it's in Scandinavia, has an O and an L). I do. Before I run, I look up the Finnish weather service's report, which is in C, then convert to F for my log. Getting pretty good at converting without looking it up.

Faster--you need to get revenge on that couch! Try pouring several beers into it, and then seeing who's faster.

Weegee--Over 80F is like hell to me. Sadly, our summer in Indy had a record number of days over 100F. Sucked.

Uh oh... now what?

Oulu (close--it's in Scandinavia, has an O and an L). I do. Before I run, I look up the Finnish weather service's report, which is in C, then convert to F for my log. Getting pretty good at converting without looking it up.

Faster--you need to get revenge on that couch! Try pouring several beers into it, and then seeing who's faster.

Weegee--Over 80F is like hell to me. Sadly, our summer in Indy had a record number of days over 100F. Sucked.

Ratz.... sorry, I should have gone back to the where are you thread.

Ratz.... sorry, I should have gone back to the where are you thread.

No problem! It's not a place that most people have heard of--I know I hadn't before we met the people from the University of Oulu who convinced my husband to come here.

One of the fun things about being this far north is the short days. Sunrise today: 10:01. Sunset: 2:16. I went out to run at 11:00, and the sun was still barely over the horizon. It doesn't get very high in the sky at all before it gives up and sinks back down--these days it doesn't even crest the building across the street. I can see it might get old fast if you had to deal with it every year, but it's fascinating to experience once.

DoppleBock

Everyone still calls it nine-mile swamp.  Between all the CC ski trails and mountail bike trails - I tend to go run there haphazardly for 2-3 hours and then try and find my way back to my car via the posted map/signs.  I am not to good reading maps, so sometimes it takes awhile.

Dopple-- Lived in Wausau myself for about 7 years. Actually owned some acreage that abutted what was then called 9 mile swamp. Wish I didn't sell that property in hindsight.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Uh oh... now what?

majope:  Were you there for the days with almost no darkness?  When we ran Jasper-Banff Relay the sun did not set until about eleven p.m. and was back up long before the relay started at six a.m.--made for an interesting day of running.

John--no, we didn't get here until August. Just looked it up: sunrise was at 4:22 and sunset 10:00--long day, but still an appreciable night. My husband was here for the month of July in 2011, though, and when he got here the sun went down at almost midnight and came back up at 2:30, so it didn't get properly dark at all. Drove him crazy--he said he couldn't sleep. It would be cool to run in, though!