Trailer Trash

Snowy Mondaily (Read 28 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning All!  We're under another winter storm warning for this afternoon and tomorrow; according to my calendar we're supposed to have two more months of Fall 

going to strength train this morning and get a 5-ish mile run in later- all my trails are already snow covered (3-5")- it does provide a pretty nice cushion when running though

qotd: do you use any traction devices in the "winter"- I normally stud any of my shoes I'm going to use in the winter, and when it gets really icy I grab my Microspikes- these are the grippiest traction devices I've ever used and so far seem very durable- this will be my third season and probably 1000 miles or so

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I'll get out for about 3 after work. I won't be doing much until Saturday.

QOTD: No need for that down here.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning mtwarden - so early for so much snow! Is this a sign of what the entire winter will be like for you guys? Ughhh!  I got in a nice trail run yesterday, will take a zero today and possibly tomorrow.  My left knee is bothering me and this is terribly timing with my fun run coming up Saturday.  So I will take it easy this week I guess but I don't want take every day off.  We'll see I guess.

QOTD: I have a pair of generic spikes that fit over my shoes - They do not, however, fit over my hokas so I am in the market for something that does fit over the wide bottom of hokas.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Have a great Monday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Morning!   Spent yesterday with the family and friends at an adventure park.  Think climbing, high ropes and ziplining course in the trees.  It was fun, but it meant that I just did a short jog around the neighborhood when we got home. I guess it was a good crosstraining day since I feel a little sore in spots today.  I'll get in an easy and short run this morning and strength training tonight.

And since it's Monday, what are the latest numbers in the Queen vs. Hairy Monkey battle?  I know the hairy one has a 50 miler in a few days.  Will this put him ahead?

qotd:  I just use a pair of inherited yaktrax.  I really only need them rarely and they work well for me on packed snow.  Ice is a rare and usually fleeting issue down here.

Have a great start to the week!

XtremeTaper

Blech.. snow. While I don't mind a light coating (few inches) unless it gets packed down it gets annoying eventually. Plus there is that cold that goes with it. You westerners can use some snow pack though I suppose.

I believe I will do my 7.5-8 mi road/trail hybrid run at lunchtime. This past weekend I ran 13.5 mi trails on the green lane lake loopie. A decent time for the loop, just over 2:10. One of these days I should leave the dog at home and try to tempo this run. Yesterday, 10.5 hilly trail miles at Coventry Woods. Left the Lady at home as she was a bit sore from Saturday's run. I think she may have some tendinitis that flares up. Anyway, with 2 miles or so to go I came upon a guy with 2 small scotty dogs. One of the Scotty dogs got loose and came at me and I was sure my shins or ankles were going to become scotty dog treats. However I came up with a slick move on the fly that involved a bit of tempo pace and hopping. Just as my foot hit the ground I did a quick hop and kept on trucking. I think it would have made a great video. The dog didn't have much time to latch on and he gave up rather quickly. The owner was all apologetic and I just waved as I hopped on down the trail.

QOTD: I have a pair of Innov8's for the winter. They have some aggressive lugs, and if things get really snowy I will fix up a pair of screw shoes.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

Good morning, Trailers! I got out to the trail for a few miles with the pups, then hit the roads for a bit of speed before doing some core work in the gym.

I'm heading down to Texas for a few days, then I come home late Wednesday night before grabbing an early AM flight to Florida on Thursday. It'll be a hectic week.

QOTD: I love my Kahtoola Micro Spikes. They're a better option for me than screws because I like to rotate through several pairs of shoes during the winter. This will be my 3rd winter with the same pair of spikes.

muppy

5.1 trail miles yesterday.

QOTD I  do the screw shoes and they work quite well. I also have a pair of micro spikes  and I will use if it's more of a deeper snow.

NHLA

9 mile and 6 mile run this weekend. Raining and cold this morn. Might stay inside.

qotd  just trail shoes. We don't get alot of snow.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I didn't run yet today..but may.  Need to see what Jamie is doing.   Actually my heel really hurts.  Enough to wake me up last night. 

Maybe I will get something done later today.  I am going to the gym at lunch.

QOTD:  No it doesn't really snow here.  If it does it's gone in a week.

Jamie:  Sounds like we are in the same boat today...although I have no fun run scheduled for this weekend.

DC:  Jamie may take the lead this week....I am going to do what I can to keep him at bay; which means I should run tonight when I get home.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Just got in from a 7 mile road run. I actually enjoy some road work and it does help my turnover.  Also I have to say for this old guy that I feel so much stronger and energetic since I have eliminated doing any runs over 14 miles.  Maybe just more of that aging thing I keep hearing about but I feel great and my running is going so much better.

Too early to talk snow isn't it?  Heading north again Friday and it looks like 1" to 3" on tap. Say it isn't so! 

QOTD--I think if you live in a real winter/snow state it's important to have an arsenal depending on conditions.  Good deep lug shoes-check, dedicated screw shoes-check, Kahtoola micro-spikes-check, snowshoes-check.  I do think standard yak trax have a place too but since my pair broke I never saw a need to replace them with everything else I have.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Still struggling with motivation . We did go out Saturday for 5 miles of hills . We are expecting something between 1/2" - 7' of snow tonight depending who is telling it .

QOTD    I just use screws in my shoes

Saturday hill work

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

SRD for me today.  I did wind up getting around 10 trail miles yesterday, but my favorite place is terribly leaf covered right now and made the singletrack next to impossible run on with the dog.  We were both tripping all over the place and bailed to run on the easier double track instead.  Still a nice day!

Sue, do you normally have heal problems?  I'm not sure if I should be pulling for my former competitor, or for the new competitor who took over for me!!!

QOTD:  Screw shoes (which NorthernHarrier so nicely helped me with last winter!), micro-spikes, and snowshoes.  Just depends on conditions.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Not usually but I have had it at least twice before...it usually just goes away.  I think it's from jumping out of bed on cold feet, because the dogs are excited we sprint down the road which is paved until we hit the trail which begins with a steep hill.  I think the lack of warming up put stress on them.  And I was stacking wood this weekend..I thin pushing the wheel barrow aggravated it.  This too shall pass...and you should be pulling for me.  Us woman need to stick together. 

Sue, do you normally have heal problems?  I'm not sure if I should be pulling for my former competitor, or for the new competitor who took over for me!!!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Valerie - nice pic.  Did you have skis to get back down?

Mandy - you should definitely be pulling for Queen - she needs it!

Queen - take the day off, in fact take two days.  Wouldn't want the heel causing you problems in the future.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sometimes it pays to pay attention to your surroundings. While I'm familiar with the paved rails to trails path where I raced a 5K on Saturday, I'd never given much consideration to the park itself where the race started since it appeared largely undeveloped. It's a relatively new park. What I noticed when checking out the finish area on my warm up was what looked like a trail. So today I went back to check it out. It's a series of small loops from 2.5 miles around farmland still being worked (a rather boring section) to a couple smaller loop trails of 1.4 and .75 miles through wetlands, shrubbery, and tall marsh grasses. It's relatively flat and grassy but a nice change from pavement and only 5 minutes away.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.