Trailer Trash

Whiskeytown 30K (34.3594944K) Report---Report may be long and boring but you can just look at the pictures. (Read 25 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Years ago my friend was in Whiskeytown Recreation area supporting her husband at a MT bike race.  She texted me and said it was beautiful here and I would love running there.  Fast forward a few years and this Whiskeytown race came across my FB feed.  The registration was $1.00 a kilometer.  So for $30 and processing fee I signed up for the 30K and an additional $10 for a shirt.  My friends signed up for the 50K.  In my head that meant I could hang out and drink beer for two hours while I waited for them to finish. 

My training hasn't been so hot but I did end with a 15 miler long run the weekend before.  I have been having heel pain that really makes me want to not run.  Since I started my heel drops I have seen great improvement...thanks Northern.  So early to bed and only 1/2 a bottle of wine the night before.  Got up at 4 am and walked the dogs and then meet my group at 5 AM for a 3 ish hour drive.  It was at this time I realized they start at 9 am and we start at 10 am; cutting into my beer drinking time at the end and requiring me to sit around at the beginning for no reason.  There was also a 4th person in the car who was going to run the 30K, Christine.  She stated she was going to try to stick with me  I ran with her once and remember she made me feel tense.  I guess she told the other two Peggy and Yvonne that she wanted to stick with me (this being her first trail race) and they said I was fast.  Now they said this, not me...I said nothing.  I just like to go out and do what I do.  For me it's not a group run when it's a race; I just run.  I don't wait and I don't expect anyone to wait for me.

So the race director tells us the course had to be changed as one creek crossing was still just way too high, and this added a kilometer to the race which, "You all owe me another $1.00".  It was a pretty small event so umm line up here, behind the 4 wheel drive truck and go.   So up the road we go and into the woods where we were on a single track.  Christine was behind me somewhere.  The first mile was a climb, then the next 2 miles was the most fun.  We were running through the forest with a mellow climb going along the creek and crossing it at least 15 times...through it not over it.

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

After we left the creek crossing we had a long up hill and than some rolly polly...beautiful woods etc...

Around mile 8 we hit a steep hill climb...we were heading up to the first major waterfall.  Did I mention I decided to wear my light weight vest that with one small water bottle?  So by now I am out of water and assuming the first waterfall will have an aid station, it did not.  I hooked up with this gal.  She got sober and started running to help her stay sober.  I let her know I ran so I could keep drinking. 

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

We are in front of one of the main waterfalls.  Is was waterfall day at the park and their was a ranger leading a group.  Half the group seemed more interested in the runners, so even though the ranger was talking they always turned around and cheered and clapped. 

This waterfall was about a 1.5 up hill and than 1.5 back...still no aid station.

At around mile 9 I saw my 50K friends....it was their mile 11 so I knew the aid station was about a mile away.  This mile stretch was all paved road down hill.  I thought the aid station would be the turn around but is was not, we continued down hill but back on a single track to the next waterfall..

Image may contain: plant, tree, bridge, outdoor, nature and water

After this it was a very sharp incline trail that appeared to be more of a bootleg trail.  Runners coming up told me to be careful as it was very slippery.  I think the gray hair made them think I was old!!  Then I see this rock planted in the middle of the steepest part of the trail.  Someone has a sense of humor.  As I went by it I couldn't help but notice my buttocks tensed! 

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and nature

More beautiful falls

This was the turn around and for the most part we went back the way we came.  I thought it was suppose to be a loop.

Image may contain: plant, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, flower, tree, outdoor and nature

This little piece was like being in the jungle or Louisiana.

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

I saw the picture below around mile 16..it was so breath taking beautiful that I got a bit chocked up...I cry easily.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  It was also at this time I was ready to be done.  You think having a long run of only 16 miles have anything to do with it?

I was hanging out with a young guy at this point,  He was carrying nothing, kinda like DD kid.   He works for the forest service.  He was cramping a bit but would run when I ran and walk when I walked.    So after this we walk to a top of the hill for the second aid station...again out of water and really not much food. I had only brought one jell.  At the aid station these workers were looking at a map and said based on the map the course is short and would only be a little over 17 miles.  I said don't say that because it messes with our heads.  I lost the young guy after this and was past by a young girl.  She was a big girl and I wanted to tell her how much I admired her for doing this run but I knew it would only come across as an insult...wow for a big chick you sure can run good!! 

I saw the picture below around mile 16..it was so breath taking beautiful that I got a bit chocked up...I cry easily.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  It was also at this time I was ready to be done.  You think having a long run of only 16 miles have anything to do with it? We had a few more creek crossing here and I started to think we would run back through all the creek crossing and was looking forward to it.

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

We saw a sign and the big girl asked me which way.  One said 50K and the other said Finish 6km.  I pointed to the finished one and up we headed on fire roads...up ...up...up...up...up....    I started to think about the sign 6K...well their was no 6k race and 6 k is at least 3 miles when we are suppose to be done already!!

The big girls sister showed up, she had gone the wrong way...and than the big girl's husband should up (he walked from the finish line but it ended up we were still 2 miles out).  Then there friends showed up and I asked how far to finish and was told about a mile....WHAT!!!  I was in a shitty frame here.  I was tired, the road sucked and I should be drinking beer.    (at this point I am tired of writing this review and wondering if I too have bored the reader!   so let me wrap it up).

About .75 straight down hill.  I see cars below yeaaa...come to a gate and sign says 1/2 mile...WTF!!  Ok and this is on paved road.  I turn left and see over 40 guys some in military some if firefighter t-shirts but all carrying riffles.  That was a bit creepy.  They were lined on each side of the road; I had to run between them.  Their leader was telling them to stop to avoid a trip and accidently shot. 

So I finished.  I asked the director was I lost or was the course long and he confirmed it was a lot longer than he thought.  He said I was an age group winner and handed me a mug.  I checked stats and I did not win my age group which was 50 to 59, some other woman kicked my ass by almost an hour.

Christine came in 20 minutes later and couldn't believe she was so close to me because everyone said I was fast.  I heard it from her so many times I wanted to say to her...look I never said that shut the fuck up, geezzz!

Plenty of time to drink beer as the 50Kers finished 3 years later.  They said the added miles for the 50K sucked as they were all uphill to the waterfalls and then back down.  So I was glad I did the 30K

Ok folks that's it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

That wasn't boring and the pictures were great. I don't like courses that are longer than the advertised distance, especially when you get into really long races. Congratulations on your finish.

LB2

Looks beautiful!  It's annoying when races aren't as advertised.  Perhaps not the best organized event ever but $30 isn't bad.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

XtremeTaper

Nice going Sue... almost sounds like a fatass race given the questionable distance and aid stations. Like all the water photos. I love the sound of running water. Must have been spectacular. So did the 50k folks get about 60k or what? Glad you had plenty of time for beer and man that one chick sounds annoying.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Good run (and read), Queen! Hmm, I agree with XT- sounds pretty casual about the aid and mileage. But great pictures. And good to hear you had adequate beer time in those 3 years it took the 50k folks to finish 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Oooooh! I love waterfalls. Have they announced the 2018 date yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Quit your bitchin', you got more than your money's worth! 

I don't mind extra miles as long as RD give you some idea at the start about the added distance. I like to pace myself accordingly, so agree that not knowing where the end is is a real pain in the ass.  The first time I did the Seneca Creek 50K, there was a section of closed trail, and at the start, the RD told us the course would be closer to 34 miles.  He was pretty close, and since we knew what to expect, everyone was fine with that.

You should have changed your clothes when you finished (like you did in Utah) and then your friends would have thought you were faster. Then they would have said "did you run?".

Looks like a nice substitute for the Columbia River Gorge. Too bad we didn't get into that race. I hope to run there on Thursday or Friday.

BTW, there is no such thing as a RR that's too long, especially one with great pictures.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Well that took me too sittings to read. Of course that's because I just drank about three quarts of tea and water so I had to  jog to the bathroom half way through . Certainly not boring to me.

Good write up Sue.  Considering that you came in pretty close to first you might be pretty fast!!  Some nice waterfalls in there.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I suppose I wouldn't have bitched if I had trained better...

and yes I had jeans on when the 50K finished.

Quit your bitchin', you got more than your money's worth! 

AT-runner

Tim

Forgot to ask, did you keep the mug?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I didn't find out until I was home...I did see an old lady out there...just didn't realize she was in my age group. 

Forgot to ask, did you keep the mug?

Queen of Nothing

Sue

It was a great deal!

Looks beautiful!  It's annoying when races aren't as advertised.  Perhaps not the best organized event ever but $30 isn't bad.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Theirs were around 34 miles.  There was a cut of  9 hours and my friends came in 5 minutes after but the race director said they were cool since it was longer than expected.

Nice going Sue... almost sounds like a fatass race given the questionable distance and aid stations. Like all the water photos. I love the sound of running water. Must have been spectacular. So did the 50k folks get about 60k or what? Glad you had plenty of time for beer and man that one chick sounds annoying.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Love the pictures! Congrats.

I personally like the idea of bonus miles but it does cause an issue for longer distances.  Case in point, I ran my first 50 miler in 2011 at Stone Mill.  It was called a 50 miler but they clearly stated on the website the course was closer to 51 miles.  But the RD have changed the course slightly every year - more so to try and adjust for logistics and feedback from the previous year.  So in 2011, the changes they made ended up adding more than they thought.  The race ended up being 54.5 miles.  Considering the race is run in November, it caused some issues with many runners being out well after sunset - many were not prepared to do so.  I had my headlamp and noticed on the last out-n-back section that as I was coming back towards the finish, some runners did not have any light whatsoever.  And it was at least an hour after sunset.  But when I found out the actual distance (maybe 2 days after), I felt better about my finishing time once I knew the extended distance.

Anyways, awesome job Queenie!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Yay QoN !!!!!!!   You can drink a lot of beers in 3 years, especially in that spiffy new mug.

Congrats!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL