Trailer Trash

Group trail running (Read 54 times)

NorthernHarrier

So I went out running on the technical single track of our favorite state park a little west of town. It was an awesome morning, perfect weather, beautiful spring day. So I'm enjoying the solitude alone on the trails when I hear a bunch of people coming, runners. A group run on the single track with an apparent leader. 16 runners in a line. Of course running with their heads down and not seeing me as we approached each other so I just stopped and stood on the side of the trail to let this group go by. The lead guy was acting like a guide or something and with his head down he was saying to the peeps right behind him that in this area you have to pay attention as you sometimes can find morels here and as he just finished that line he suddenly saw me right smack in front of him and about jumped out of his shoes with the surprise. I just completed his line by adding "and you may run into other runners".   The leader seemed somewhat miffed that I made a little fun out of him but the next couple runners were laughing. I have seen enough of these type of ego-leaders in my years. Yuch.

Anyway they were out of my range in a couple minutes and I was back to my serenity but as I ran I just started thinking--why would you want to spend a beautiful morning on the trails in such a large group? Seems to me you are missing what a lot of trail running is about. I guess I'm just not wired for the group thing at all. So for general discussion where would you position yourself?  Myself, I would be solo most of the time though I do have a couple trail buds and occasionally get out with them and that can be a great time. But a large group like that--no way.

So solo, a trail bud or two, or group? What's your preference?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

solo probably 80% of the time; I do have a buddy that I typically do long runs w/- we run about the same pace and it seems to help both of us at those times when you need a little push or pull- guessing much like a pacer????

I have run w/ groups, but over most distances it tends to morph into smaller groups- we ran as a group for both the R2R2R and our Joshua Tree traverse, but the "group" was only a group at the beginning and at the campfire afterwards

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If you were where I think you were, I am not going to be a happy camper if this turns into a regular thing.  Now the mountain bike community is really going to hate us.  I would have been flabbergasted running into that many people out there.  I feel like our hidden gems are becoming more populated.

I've been out on the IAT recently in the Brooklyn area and I have run into way too many people for my liking.  People in jeans!  With big cameras!  WTF!  Of course they disappear as soon as you get a mile away from the trailhead, but still.  I really hope it's just this new nice weather and these people settle back into their living rooms soon.  I'm fine with one or two people, but I go into the woods for a reason.

Running is dumb.

These days I run alone.

In the past, we've had small (maybe half a dozen) people go out together, but most of those folks have moved away (job relocations). The advantage of a group is to learn new trailheads (some are not well known) and trails. Also to make noise in bear country or generally have someone else there in case of emergency.

But then there's the days when you already know the trailhead and the trail and prefer to be alone - and not run into a gang of people on bikes, running, with backpacks of kids, with loose dogs. (wasn't as busy as I thought it was going to be today)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Occasional Runner

I've run in big groups like that and I enjoy it. Like Warden says, big groups usually break up into several smaller groups after a while.

I recognize that a lot of those people are just starting to run trails and group runs are frequently the best way for them to learn about local trails and meet new people. I enjoy seeing it because it's a good sign for our sport. Yeah...it can be annoying when you want solitude, but it doesn't take long before they're long gone.

When I really want to be alone, I can always find trails that are tough enough to discourage most people.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I prefer solo most of the time myself. On the rare occasions I have run with groups I've learned more

about shoes, injuries, trails and races from trail-chatting; so I do like that part of it. I have encountered

the know-it-all at the head of the group, I would prefer them to just shut the fuck up.

moonlightrunner

I run alone...but would love to have a trail buddy to run with from time to time. I run day too slow to run with a group...but I think it would be kind of fun occasionally.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

jmctav23

2/3rds training

the group I occasionally run with splinters down within minutes on the trail due to the huge variations in pace, and then usually finishes with a "hammerfest" in the last few miles.  It's fun and a good way to get a fast finish run in.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When I've run with groups on trails in the past we usually broke up into small sub-groups of 2-5 runners, then regrouped at our water stops. We rarely saw other runners on the trails, never saw bikes (though that would probably not be the case now), and rarely saw horse and rider. I prefer running with a partner or small group, but seldom have that opportunity because of how slow I am.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I run with a group a lot.  We usually split up into pace groups.  However, if the group leader was trying to tell the story of the trail, and introduce others so they could go out on their own, I can a large group of folks sticking together.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Messenjah

I am the president of a running club and we have a trail group that runs together 2 or more times a week. They travel together a lot for races too. It's a group on training runs of 5-15 people usually. They do break off quite a bit into smaller groups of 3-5 people depending on speed and distances that people are wanting to go.

Watoni

I run (and ride) solo 90%+ of the time. I prefer solitude and my own pace. There are generally riders on some of the climbs or on the Silicon Valley side of the coast, but seeing other trail runners is fairly rare. More hikers and horses.

I have done some social runs in Marin, but the trails there are pretty wide and the runs were early. They were fun, mostly to meet some other local runners and it opened my eyes to ultrarunning.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I run wth a group every Saturday.  I like the trail talk, and discussions, and of course teasing whoever had a clumsy moment and fell/ lost a shoe/ ran into a tree..  The leader will wait, or do a back track to collect the stragglers every few miles. Sometime we have complete 1st timers who need encouragement and guidance..  No know it alls..

That said, I'm usually last if there isnt a slow 1st timer, and our groups policy is " Never leave anybody behind.... except Jody".  I also like going solo, and armed with a map,  can go to a new place, run 20 miles  and not get lost, I enjoy the solitude and nature.. no music..

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

AT-runner

Tim

I prefer solo, but have been on, and have lead, group runs.  Agree that they usually splinter up, but I lead a group of 1st time trail runners one time and we had 14, and I probably sounded like the guy you saw.  My guess is they were not experienced trail runners and he was getting their feet wet.  Hopefully next time they will split up a bit and keep their eyes open.  My encounters are usually mt. bikers, and AT hikers, and the infrequent horsey people.

As far as enjoying the day, I agree solo is the way to go, but if you ask DW she's say a small group run (since she gets lost a lot).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I run with my brother sometimes. Other than that, I don't have anyone to run with except my dog. He goes out too fast, and I end up dragging him along after about 2 miles. So, I only run with him about once per week. I run with my brother about once every other month. He lives in Baton Rouge, and I try not to get to town very much. I run solo most of the time.

LB2