Trailer Trash

Eastern States 100 (Read 81 times)

Daydreamer1

I haven't heard of this one before. Is it a new race? Who is organizing it?

Brian Runner

It will be new this year. I don't know who specifically is "in charge" of the event, but I was hearing rumblings about it for quite a while out on group runs from my friends who do a lot of running in Central Pa, so rest assured that its some of the same sadistic folks involved with events like Hyner / Rothrock / Megatransect / Green Monster etc...

I'm also hearing that total elevation gain will be in the mid to uper 20 thousand feet range. So no walk in the park!

Trail Monster

Too bad I'm already signed up for Baker and won't be recovered from BR yet. Next year I guess.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Brian Runner

This race isn't taking place until next year. I accidently said "New this year" in my comment above. Sorry

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I really thought this was a joke when I first saw it.  The FB page was created 6/26/13 - certainly to line up with the running of the WS100.  I am very curious as to who is putting this on though.  And very curious about what trails they will use.

I have to confess my dreams about a 100 were years in the future but this may change that.  I really would need to "see" the course though first.  Upper 20k of climbing.  Isn't that Hardrock type numbers? I made a "suggestion" last year that they should have a 100k at Hyner - do the course forwards and then backwards.  Can't really imagine it but there are so many backwoods trails in central PA and northern central PA that 100 miles of trail is easy to find.  Can't wait for more info to come out about this.  Looks like the FB page was just released as a teaser.

FTYC - I guess we won't be putting on a 100 miler anymore.  This answers that question.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

Its legit. I first heard rumblings about from my running buddy John (does all the Central Pa races, wins the shorter ones) last year. Most recenty (last week) I was talking with Travis who puts on The Green Monster. He was talking about the course being just about set (he's the one that told me that it was going to be well over 20k of gain), so I'm guessing he has some involvement.

It was another friend, Adam (2nd place at Hyner 25k this year) who finally shared the facebook page with me yesterday.

Hardrock has 34 thousand feet of climb. Western States has 18 thousand. But any of you who have ever raced or run in Central Pa (Hyner, Rothrock, Mile Run, Megatransect etc.. know full well how unrelenting this region is. The 25k's have 4,000+ of gain, the 50k's have over 7,000ft of gain. Steep and rocky. It should be no big shock that a 100 miler with 20,000+ can be thrown together.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

With this elevation gain, it could become a Hardrock qualifier. Unrelenting it will be, for sure. It's on my radar.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Any info on date and location?

tbd.

Brian Runner

Next August is the best that I can do for you right now, but given that the facebook page just came online I'd expect full details to be released very soon. Not to worry, central Pa puts on first class, well organized races.

The facebook page says Clinton County, but it also mentions that it will use part of the Pine Creek Rail Trail. The Rail Trail, however, is further to the east ands runs through Tioga and Lycoming Counties from Wellsboro to Jeresey Shore, passing through Tiadaghton State Forest along the way. Sproul State Forest outside of Lock Haven is just to the west and that is where the Hyner 25k/50k races are. But its nothing but State Forest and State Park land out there: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=205578545093542446073.00046a56dbd8383ff1a7c So i'm guessing thats the generall ballpark.

Trail Monster

This race isn't taking place until next year. I accidently said "New this year" in my comment above. Sorry

In that case, count me in barring unforeseen circumstances in the next year.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Sandy-2

Thanks for the info.  For some reason I couldn't see the FB link on the phone.

August you say, darn I would rather have seen a cooler month.  But we'll see how next year shapes up.

tbd.

Brian Runner

Looks like registration opens August 16th

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'd be willing to bet that the Black Forrest Trail will be utilized somehow.  I don't know it personally but I have heard it is gnarly.  And it is in that general vicinity.

website is now up...

http://www.easternstates100.com/2152.html

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Daydreamer1

This will be a great race. It will be interesting to see what the cut off time is and how many of the biggest names they can attract. August in that area shouldn't be too bad for the heat.