Trailer Trash

Thank you Vets – Fridaily (Read 17 times)

Sandy-2

Did a pretty good 5 miles before work today.  It was a bit cool so much better than running after work.  I’m starting to think that I need to start stretching out the miles again for my road mary coming up. Hate the concrete.

qotd: Do you have the day off for Veterans Day?  (Fixed it, thanks AT and John M.)

We do not, but in the old days when we were located in NYC, they would give Vets the day off to march in the parade.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

Nice 5.5 this morning. I saw a little buck cross the gravel road in front of me. I don't know if I want to shoot him, but I plan to be in a position to make a choice soon.

QOTD: No. But I took off today to go to my kids' school for their ceremony. I expect it will be a huge deal this year.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I slept in this morning.  So yeah, no run.

QOTD: No.  

Have a great veteran's day and thank you for serving!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

No run today.  Running the At section of the JFK tomorrow with a buddy. 17 miles of leaves and hills. We usually go and check it out before the race and make sure the big rocks are still in place.

Saw John M's regular FB post about Veterans Day, warning people not to use an apostrophe. He still cracks me up. I told him he needed to stop by here again. He seems to be pretty active on FB.

Anyone racing or pacing this weekend?  Good luck.

QOTD:  Working today, but we did just book a trip to Portland, December 1-4 to see DD#1 ans DS, so I can look forward to those days off.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: Do you have the day off for Veterans Day?  (Fixed it, thanks AT and John M.)

I see it both ways all the time. I just get amused every year when I see a post from John M correcting it.  He also says don't tell a veteran "happy Veterans Day".  It's not a happy day, say "thank's for your service".  My 2 cousins who were both active duty army have "Happy Veteran's Day on their FB wall. Seem fine with them.  I told John, before, that he has too much free time on his hands being a punctuation patrol person. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Planning to head out shortly for an easy run and strides.

qotd: I have the day off but that has nothing to do with it being Veterans Day. In the midst of all the Veterans Day sales, I doubt too many bother thinking about its origins or that it was originally Armistice Day to mark the end of WW I.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for a short jaunt with DW. Probably just our regular 4 miles. Getting really windy. Might end up looking like a tumbleweed .

QOTD: Yep. But only because it's my regular day off.  DS has off because he's a federal employee as well as being in the ANG.

Daydreamer1

I doubt too many bother thinking about its origins or that it was originally Armistice Day to mark the end of WW I.

Thanks for the history lesson. That's one of those things I either didn't know or forgot.

NHLA

6 miles yesterday and 7 today on the mt.

qotd  not off today.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks for the history lesson. That's one of those things I either didn't know or forgot.

In Canada it's called Remembrance Day. I don't know if anyone does this anymore, but when I was a kid the local VFWs used to hand out artificial poppies. That's a reference to the poem In Flanders Fields:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
                      Between the crosses, row on row, 
                      That mark our place, and in the sky, 
                      The larks, still bravely singing, fly, 
                      Scarce heard amid the guns below. 

We are the dead; short days ago
                      We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, 
                      Loved and were loved, and now we lie
                      In Flanders fields. 

Take up our quarrel with the foe! 
                      To you from failing hands we throw
                      The torch; be yours to hold it high! 
                      If ye break faith with us who die
                      We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
                      In Flanders fields.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Saw some of my running buds at Starbucks this morning as I was finishing up my run.  Our token Canadian member  was proudly wearing her large Commonwealth-style poppy flower for Remembrance Day. Nice.  Of course here we wear poppies on Memorial Day.

Now I learned two things today. . .  I never did know the origin of those red poppies. Thanks.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL