Trailer Trash

The Thursday (Read 18 times)

LB2

I got up to run this morning, and as I was walking out the door, the lights went out. I decided to try to hold out hope for this evening. If not, I'll swap tomorrow's rest day with a run and rest today.

QOTD: How disciplined are you about getting your planned mileage in on the day it is scheduled?

I try to be very disciplined with it, but we have such erratic weather down here that it is good to be flexible. I am just starting a program that I sort of modified that allows for 5 days per week running. Long runs are on the weekends. My work schedule for summer is 4/10's, so I am off every Friday. Summer is pretty flexible for me. I am really wanting to go back to teaching high school English right now and have my summer's off. I'm really tired of what I am doing right now.

LB2

XtremeTaper

The sun finally appeared here yesterday for what seemed like the first time all week. It was a proper spring evening for a woodsy hilly trail run. The Lady and I did our standard ~7 mile loop at Coventry Woods. After a sort of average start on the first half, kind of kicked it in, or at least put some effort out and came in under 70 minutes. That's my game, 7 under 70. I had not done that on this hilly loop for over a month now. Good run, and second run in my new pair of Altra Olympus. I may use those shoes for my 100 miler this month since my body is a bit creaky and more support is good I suppose. Plan is for 7 tonight, maybe French Creek Park.

QOTD: I am very consistent about getting in my miles, plus, well I'm a runner. It's what I do regardless. I do have some flexibility since I work at home and can typically (not always) choose to run midday, evening, or morning. So at times I will weather watch and plan accordingly.

LB - Funny, one of my missed runs this year was when I was down in LA. All hell broke loose with storms one Sunday morning and I had to work the rest of the afternoon/evening. As I was driving over to the river trail in town bolts were flashing left/right so I said no thanks to a run in that, went back to the hotel and pouted.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

Going to be doing a lot of running today.  First we "ran" the one vehicle to the dealer to get a recall done on it. Later today we will again have to "run" and pick it up. 24 miles each way. In between that I'll be "running" around changing oil in cars, mowing the lawn, replacing a faucet in one of the bathrooms and trying to do a few other things. So if I get any time after all that I'll try to get out for a actual run. Mileage to be determined.

QOTD:  Being disciplined about getting in planned mileage would mean following a training program.  My typical training program is "what do you mean follow a training program"?   It just seems like something is always coming up to get in my way. That's why I'll have one week of really good mileage followed by two with sporadic mileage.

Today would have been a nice day for a medium distance run, which is what I had planned. Then we decided that if we didn't get the vehicle in for the recall it would have to wait another month or so because they are getting backed up at the dealer.  It seems like something is always messing up my running plans.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Got in a decent 3 mile run this morning, feeling sluggish and

as if the pressure is making it hard to climb. Probably all in my

head.

QOTD: I am disciplined to the point of following a routine when I should

have more flexibility. A few years ago I trained for an April race, which meant

doing long runs in the MA winter, it was miserable. Nothing sucks the joy out

of running more than 20 plus mile runs in bitter cold, ice and snow covered

trails, wearing ice spikes and all the while complaining to myself about moving

to MA from CA.

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 5 miles on the AT.  Did not see a single person out there, and that's really unusual this time of year.

LB - Why not go back to HS English?

XT - I used Olympus 2.5's for my race. Had 2 pairs and used one for about 80 miles and the second for the rest.  Only thing I don't like is the laces bind in the eyelets, so some parts feel loose and some feel tight.  I'm going to enlarge the holes today and see if that makes for more uniform lace pressure.  It's a small complaint, but after several hours I had nothing left to think about then the damn laces. 

DD - hows the BIL doing?

Jon - We spend too much time in our heads.

QOTD:  Pretty disciplined runner.  I used to have a calendar with everything all laid out for 15-18 weeks.  I'm not that anal anymore, but still do it in my head. I'll make changes for how I feel, as in add or subtract some miles if I feel good or bad that day, but on a weekly basis, it adds up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jonferg67

Endless trails

AT: Which section of the AT is your go to trail? I read Bill Bryson's book

A Walk in the Woods a few months ago, he described the PA section

of the AT as the gnarliest, rockiest, most difficult section he hiked.

LB2

LB - Why not go back to HS English?

Pay cut. However, if I can cut a few things out over the next year, I think I will give it some serious thought.

LB2

NHLA

10k in 55 minutes.  Nice morning.

Qotd   I get my miles in each week but don't worry about which day.

LB2

Good run, and second run in my new pair of Altra Olympus. I may use those shoes for my 100 miler this month since my body is a bit creaky and more support is good I suppose. Plan is for 7 tonight, maybe French Creek Park.

LB - Funny, one of my missed runs this year was when I was down in LA. All hell broke loose with storms one Sunday morning and I had to work the rest of the afternoon/evening. As I was driving over to the river trail in town bolts were flashing left/right so I said no thanks to a run in that, went back to the hotel and pouted.

I ran a full 100 in one pair of the 1.5's and had no problem at all. I like the cushion of the Hoka's better than the Altra's, but to me, the toe box of the Altra trumps the cushion of the Hoka. The Olympus has plenty of cushion. Of course, I also ran a full 100+ in Lone Peaks, and it was all fine until a fair distance over 100 miles. It was like they cushion totally flattened out on me.

I think I may be able to squeeze one in this evening. But these storms have gotten worse as the years go by, or at least it seems that way.

LB2

Sandy-2

I'm taking a SRD today, like LB2 I'm swapping today and tomorrow's schedule.

Last nights 6 was a grind.  It was about 90 deg and my legs were not happy over the last 2 or so miles. I think I lost 3 lbs of water weight in those 6 miles.

qotd: I'm pretty disciplined in following my plan, but have no problem switching up days (like today/tomorrow).  The thing is I don't really have a plan in place right now since my next one is planned for October.  By the way I may have to switch from Arkansas Traveler to something called the Pumpkin Hallow Hundred, or even worse Brazos Bend, due to scheduling conflicts. Grrrrr, stay tuned.  

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

muppy

Got in 8.2 miles on the rail trail. Felt really nice to run again!

QOTD  i've been working seven days a week and I'm trying to listen to my body more so I will take off if I need to.

Daydreamer1

DD - hows the BIL doing?

Surprisingly well.  Sounded like he was just about dead when down in Florida. Then they put in a Bilary drain and now that the bile is draining out of his system he's stronger. He's hoping for several more months and he might get it..............or not.  That's just the way pancreatic cancer is.  On Saturday evening he looked quite bad but then Sunday morning when he got out of bed he looked pretty good. Still goes to his machine shop for a few hours a day.

AT-runner

Tim

By the way I may have to switch from Arkansas Traveler to something called the Pumpkin Hallow Hundred, or even worse Brazos Bend, due to scheduling conflicts. Grrrrr, stay tuned.  

I've heard of Brazos (fast course) but had to look up  "Pumkin Holler Hunnerd" looks like nice course and 3 loops with some short but steep climbs.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

Beautiful day in far northern Wisconsin. Not many places better than Vilas county in my most humble opinion.  Started the day canoeing around the calm lake with my coffee. That's becoming my morning ritual and I call it cross training. Gonna be a day off from running but I will be heading out shortly for some mountain biking. Maybe a little fishing this evening, we'll see. Some stressful choices on what to do.  Have I said before I'm happy to be retired?

QOTD--Like xt I'll also say I'm just a runner and will get my runs in regardless of time, weather, or if I'm training for something specific or have nothing on the agenda. I strive to get in a tempo or interval workout, distance, and one road run per week in addition to general miles.

I will add it is so much nicer though NOT having any races in my future. Just have half a dozen epic adventures runs over the next few couple months and I'm good to go for them right now. Just coasting. Life is grand.

LB2

I will add it is so much nicer though NOT having any races in my future. Just have half a dozen epic adventures runs over the next few couple months and I'm good to go for them right now. Just coasting. Life is grand.

I'm glad to know you are out there doing nothing and loving it.

LB2