Trailer Trash

it's Hump Day (Read 21 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got in a good strength training session yesterday evening (much to the chagrin of Tiny E who wanted to hit the trails); will hit the trails this evening

qotd: do your own taxes?  get a refund this year?  my computer is evidently outdated, the fill in the blank software isn't compatible, so I did it the old fashion way- printed off the forms, hand wrote them in and mailed- I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that   Got a nice chunk from the feds and a decent chunk from the state (our state tax forms suck- super complicated, especially if you itemize- which you have to do, tried the "EZ" from and owed $200, itemized and got $700 back!)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Short TM run today.

Think I might have to join the TM Forum since I've been on the hamster wheel too much lately with all of our rain.

QOTD:  Not my business taxes, they're about 40 pages long and way too complicated with yearly changes. I usually owe every year, plus my quarterly deposit comes due and quarterly employee withholding, so I HATE April 15th.

I do the kids, and last year DS moved from Oregon to PA, so had 2 states to do. Plus PA has local taxes.  The Oregon Part-Year Resident form was ridiculous. Tool me 3 hours to complete it. They had all sorts of percentages and had to re-figure all of his federal tax info with new %'s for OR. PA was a breeze on Part-Year.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Watching the weather to see when it will be most propitious to run. I can run earlier with possible t-storms or later with wind gusts strong enough to blow me backward.

qotd: I've always done my own taxes. I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what taking my first RMD would do to them, so got socked with a big tax liability this year between the added income and my social security now being taxable.  Fortunately PA does not tax retirement income. I worked as a tax preparer for about 10 years, so I've seen a lot of strange returns. I don't think I've ever done a MT state return, but some of the east coast states like MA and NY can require a lot of paperwork. Corporate taxes are a whole different story.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Like NorthernHarrier likes to say, we had a "weather event" last night.    Spring is nowhere to be found around here.

Normally I climb on Wednesdays, but I tweaked my finger the other week, so I'm resting it for a little while.  And we're leaving on vacation in just a few days, so lots to do.

QOTD: Yes and yes.  My taxes take about 10 minutes.

Running is dumb.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

3.2 windy miles this morning. Steady breeze of around 25 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph. 

Weather forecast says the wind will increase during the day, so I took out the recycling this morning...

Running after after the bottles and collecting them again was almost a workout by itself.

QOTD: I do my taxes myself with TurboTax. I started doing that last year, the previoius two years I had them done by a firm and was always disappointed with the high cost and low refund (just the two kids credits). Did them myself and got $$$$ back. Takes about 4 hrs to do them with all DD's school and job stuff, and all the other extras, but it's really worth it!

Run for fun.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Mandy - That's a beautiful sight....  in December, but not in April.  Ugh.

AT - Despite the hamster wheel, looks like you're getting back on track.  Are the symptoms improving?

WC - Good luck threading the weather needle.

FTYC - Nice double chasing those bottles .

It's pretty soggy and muddy today, so I'll go out and slog 7 or 8 on trail after work.  Last night I did 7 in the rain at 40 degrees.  Doesn't matter what you wear, it just sucks when it's like that.  Well, today will suck too, but in a different way.  Good stuff.

QOTD - Do my own, and I will owe a shitton this year.  Still working on finding more deductions.  Looking for some way to deduct my running gear as "preventative health care costs".  That will save a boatload.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my biggest tax returns were when I had a family “business”, it can be anything, don’t have to show a profit for five years, but then you have to change to another family “business”. I was into racing cars and had a bushing tool made for my vehicle (facilitated putting in firmer bushings); I rented this tool out via the internet- maybe making $300 a year, BUT my expenses- everything related to racing- travel, lodging, entry fees, parts, tires, etc were written off, as well as postage for the bushing tool, PayPal fees, internet service- could even include a portion of heating/electric bills based on a % of square footage for an office. You don’t have to secure a business license, form a llc or the like.

I need to think of something along the lines of running, backpacking or elk hunting and start another business.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Despite the hamster wheel, looks like you're getting back on track.  Are the symptoms improving?

Unfortunately, only slight improvement. I'm just pushing on and trying to ignore it. Upper body gets really fatigued and feels heavy and some bad headaches still. No co-infections going on that they can see, so no change in meds, just time.

My 50-60 miles per week have become 20-25 miles per week (running).

Queen of Nothing

Sue

6 morning miles with a running friend...and the mutts.

QOTD:  I did for a few years but we get them done now that we are renting our house.  What is a refund?  No we also write a hefty check..April is a hard month for us...IRS, State Taxes, property taxes, house insurance and car insurance (we have about 8 insured cars ).

AT:  I remember when someone asked how to simulate trail run on a treadmill and someone smartass on the forum said they put green and red tape on the belt.  one color represented rocks that you avoided and the other was large sticks that you needed to jump over.

Mandy:  Nice to see Bella.

Bert-O:  We should be allowed to deducted expenses for things that make us healthly!!! 

MT:  Wish my husband would take more risks on our taxes.  As for starting another business don't you run a hike/run destination type thingy?  I know a few people on here have gone on some of your events.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

we have about 8 insured cars

What in the world do you do with 8 cars??

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Mandy:  Nice to see Bella.

Bert-O:  We should be allowed to deducted expenses for things that make us healthly!!! 

MT:  Wish my husband would take more risks on our taxes.  As for starting another business don't you run a hike/run destination type thingy?  I know a few people on here have gone on some of your events.

Yes, I thought the same thing.

Probably is a way to make it work if you call yourself a "Coach" or something.

Yes he does, and you get pizza and beer at the end. 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The same thing "we" do with 8 pairs of running shoes.  I think this year was a bit of an eye opener for DH as he is talking about selling some.  The ones we insure and drive are his pets...the rest are investments.

What in the world do you do with 8 cars??

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Queen- that’s not a bad idea   need a catchy name- Smilin’ Mike’s? 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Mustache Over the Mountains....as in Must Dash Over the Mountians

Queen- that’s not a bad idea   need a catchy name- Smilin’ Mike’s? 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

See the source image