Trailer Trash

Two Tumbles Tuesday (Read 19 times)

LB2

4.5 this morning on the some soggy trails. I fell twice.

QOTD: What is the worst fall you have ever taken while running, and how often do you fall?

It is hard to say which is the worst fall I have taken. I slid off the side of the trail one morning, minor scrapes on my shin. But by the middle of the night, I had developed cellulitis in my shin. That was bad. But probably the worst fall I have taken was when my toe hit a manhole cover, and I did a somersault into the ditch. My neighbor saw it and still references it on occasion. Probably the most spectacular fall was in a night time 10K in 2015. We were running fast the last mile, and I really wanted to place in the top 10. We came out of the trail at a road crossing and my toe caught one of those road reflectors. I rolled with it, literally, and bounced right back up on my feet, never missing a stride and actually passed the guy directly in front of me. The guy right on my left shoulder was freaking out. I think the guy freaking out shocked the guy in front of me, causing him to slow down for a second. I was gone before he knew what happened. We all had a great laugh about it at the finish line.

This morning's falls were not that spectacular, but they did cover me in mud pretty good. I don't fall very much, and I haven't fallen down in about a year.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Stella is blowing sleet and snow at us right now, mostly sleet as it sounds like heavy rain hitting the windows. That should help keep our snow totals down below the 15-20" forecast. Less than a foot now so we won't hit that unless something changes. Strong wind to go with this so it's all coming down sideways. Anyway...

No run today. I did get out for a peaceful, calm, but slow 7 miles last night at Coventry Woods trails. Trail conditions were tricky.. mix of soft slippery mud, snow remnants from Friday's snowstorm, scattered with rocks. Tried to keep to the snow patches when I could.

QOTD: I guess I average 1-2 falls/month. I get into streaks with falling. Fell the other day at French Creek on slick mud/ice. Not a bad fall but it mucked me up good. Stopped on the way home to get hoagies from the Wawa and some dude asked me if I had been in a mud run. Nah, just fell on the trail. I am pretty good at falling I say. Him and his son just looked at me like I was a nutcase. Worst fall would have to be the one that sent me to the ER in the 2008 HAT run. By fall standards not super painful but fell on a sharp rock and impaled my belly. Needed 3 stitches. After a few beers post run we went and took care of that little issue. Thankfully no beer spilled out.

LB2 - come run up here with the PA rocks if you need more practice falling.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

QOTD: I guess I average 1-2 falls/month. I get into streaks with falling. Fell the other day at French Creek on slick mud/ice. Not a bad fall but it mucked me up good. Stopped on the way home to get hoagies from the Wawa and some dude asked me if I had been in a mud run. Nah, just fell on the trail. I am pretty good at falling I say. Him and his son just looked at me like I was a nutcase. Worst fall would have to be the one that sent me to the ER in the 2008 HAT run. By fall standards not super painful but fell on a sharp rock and impaled my belly. Needed 3 stitches. After a few beers post run we went and took care of that little issue. Thankfully no beer spilled out.

LB2 - come run up here with the PA rocks if you need more practice falling.

I think I have it down pretty good here. But I would like to do the Laurel Highlands Trail. Anyway, I always get strange looks when I go to the grocery store or stop to grab a bite after a run. No one runs around here in my immediate area.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Don't think I'll be running today unless it's inside on the TM. Had a good session at the gym yesterday. I told DW it's left me too sore to shovel snow . She aint buying that for some reason .

Have about 13 inches outside and still coming down. Supposed to come down for a few more hours.

QOTD: I guess I could pick my worst fall from among my many ankle sprains but I think the one that concerned me the most was the day I was running with DS on a blue blazed portion of the AT. We had gottne through all the rough, tough stuff without falling and I was on a very nice portion when a small rock reached out and grabbed my toe. I went airborne and landed on my right side with my right hip landing on another small rock that couldn't have stuck up much more than a inch. Honestly thought I had broken the hip. Walked to the car. That was two weeks before my first Hyner. I healed up by that time and going down the one hollow at about a 5-6% downgrade I caught my toe again. Did a somersault down over the embankment never really falling but landing on my feet. The people behind me paused just slightly, some passing me and others still behind as I got back on the  trail.  I ended up with something like 8.2 rating for that one after all the reviews were submitted .

runtraildc

Cross training today, shoveling very dense and wet sleet/snow.  We only got about 3-4", but it packed down with the mix of snow and sleet.  But we don't have the ice build up that south of here got with freezing rain so I consider ourselves lucky. A friend's very large tree came down, just missing the house.

Needless to say, I might not get out running today.

qotd: I don't fall as much probably because I don't have the time and mileage that many of you get in. Usually it's about 2-3 times a year and I typically end up with minor scrapes and bruises.

NHLA

Waiting for it to warm up a little before I go running today.

qotd   In the DuPont Marathon I kicked a rock so hard it broke two toes. Later bone spurs grew out of the breaks and grew thru the skin.

Doc was afraid to operate because it might kill nerve. It is going to hurt the rest of my life.

AT-runner

Tim

I measured the snow at 16" before the strong winds stared. Now hard to tell what's new and what's blown snow. My country road is plowed, so I'm heading out for a few miles before round 2 of driveway snow blowing.

Interesting article on the possible benefit different exercises have on brain function. Short version - moderate running good, weight lifting no help (at least for lab rats).

QOTD:  Since my right shoulder still hurts, the superman fall I did 2 years ago has to be my most lasting fall injury. Sun was poking through the trees creating all sorts of shadows, and I never saw the little fucker of a rock and made a spectacular belly flop with my arms in front of me.

My most spectacular fall was during Blues Cruise on the old out and back course.  Just before the 1/2 way turn around, you went down a big hill to the check point.  2 guys were coming up the hill towards me and one guy decided to pass the other guy right next to me.  He kicked my left shoe and I went rolling down the hill on the nice PA rocks.  Had cuts on my hands, face and legs and was a bloody mess. When I got back to the AS, after the turn, everyone was looking at me in horror.  None of the cuts were too deep, just a lot of blood the was made more epic by my sweat. The guy who tripped me felt terrible and waited to see if I was ok.  I ended up passing him in the last 10 miles and he just kept saying "man, I'm sorry".  Turns out it was his first ultra and his first ever trail race.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Interesting article on the possible benefit different exercises have on brain function. Short version - moderate running good, weight lifting no help (at least for lab rats).

First, All exercise is good for you. I never really bash the type of exercise that someone wants to do whether it's weights or running or something else.

But...........................................

I've been back in the gym lately and really have been enjoying it. Since I have always had difficulty sticking with a weight training program I was browsing through some of the bodybuilding forums. Not much brains in the bodybuilding camps. Can't believe some of the crap those people say and do. That being said there are some really smart people posting in those forums. Unfortunately most of them just have attitude and spew bro-science or even worse brah-science. Just my observation.

The triathalon, biking, running and even crossfit forums have much more intelligent conversations in my opinion.

Daydreamer1

Image may contain: tree, snow, sky, plant, table, outdoor and nature

Playing with the Tonka John Deere toy.

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, snow, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Should be a lot more green in that picture......as in the pasture and trees turning green.

Image may contain: snow, tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Totally buried with it's hands out begging to be rescued.

Image may contain: tree, sky, snow, outdoor and nature

Glad we didn't have to shovel all that junk.

Think we ended up with about 15 inches at the most. Pretty good for March but nowhere near our biggest one ever and not as big as March of '93. Then we had over 24 inches.

Sandy-2

Nice snow photos!!! I miss it!!!

Did 7 mi early this morning.  Great weather.

I worked from home today and did my tax organizer thing for the accountants,what a pain in the butt.

Qotd: I haven't taken a fall in a while (jinks alert). Worst fall was on a sidewalk tripping over a downed tree in the dark, messed up my shoulders.

I took a petty good spill while doing Pinhoti, was going down hill and kicked a rock hidden under a layer of leaves. No one saw me but it was a good dive, just glad I didn't hit another rock when I went down.  I was covered in dirt and leaves and my DD asked "what happened" at the next aid station. I just told her I rolled like a horse.

tbd.

Holy cow, the rumors of snow back east are true.

Daydreamer, driving those tractors around in the snow looks sort of fun, though.

Easy 4.8 mile joggity jog this afternoon.  I think it hit 70 degrees today on the coast.  Looking forward to more rain next week.  I might be the only one around here who feels that way.

Meanwhile in Northern California:

QOTD: I did a face plant recently at a HM and cut my lip, so that was exciting.  I'm usually sort of a slow poke on rocks and roots, but at this race, was going downhill with less than 2 miles to go and running faster than my klutziness allows.  Caught a toe on something and went down face first.  It happened too quickly to do anything about it, yet there was still that feeling of things happening in slo-mo, that feeling of "oh crap, I'm falling, here comes the ground, oh no, BAM."  I was spitting out dirt after that fall too.

I seem to fall around once per month.  But it's less than it used to be, since I got my eyes checked and discovered I was nearsighted.  Fortunately no real harm done on the falls.  Other than some lost dignity.

AT, you mentioned a sore shoulder from falling.  I suspect I've strained my rotator cuff from wildly pinwheeling and falling heavily on that shoulder too many times.  You ever get a diagnosis for your sore shoulder?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR