Trailer Trash

Sleepy Sundaily (Read 25 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  We've been treated to a cool day today, yesterday we broke yet another high record (99), but today we only reach the mid 60's- this must be what Heaven feels like   unfortunately it's short lived and we warm right back up tomorrow 

Will get in 8-10 miles today, tapering for next weekends 55k run on the Continental Divide.  Northern Harrier will be running the event as well and if things go well, we'll run the Devil's Backbone the following weekend.  Couple of busy weekends coming up.

qotd: do you have a regimented taper or just wing it?  mine is a little more of the wing it persuasion, I typically like to get a good long run in two weeks out, run relatively normal that week following, cut my long run back a week out (half or less) and then a couple of short runs early in the week and then nothing until race day.  nothing scientific, but what I've come up w/ thus far

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

trying to to get back into the groove of our little expedition after enjoying a splendid Independence Day yesterday. We watched 3 fireworks: Macy's on TV, State College's on the internet live stream, and the local one here in Gallipolis, OH. That should suffice for a while.

No run yet because the fitness room at the hotel is closed, and I don't feel like running around in between airport, golf course and interstate.aybe later in the day on a nice trail out in the OH wilderness. 

QOTD: I try to taper according to a plan, but something always throws it off, so I usually wing it, with the requirements of the plan in the back of my mind.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

6 mile road run to the gym, and am getting ready to take the wife and pups for a trail run in a few minutes.

That was my first gym workout since Western States. I generally go 3-4 times per week and have been focused on gains in my upper body lately. My massive muscle wasting from States became pretty evident today. I had to drop all my wights down by about 20% just to be able to do my workout. That's deeply concerning.

QOTD: I go by feel, with an emphasis on rest for the last few days.

muppy

5.7 miles last night.

Kelly, hope you get the muscle wasting  straightened  out soon!

QOTD I usually just wing it, two  weeks before I reduce the miles, and a week before reduce the miles a little more but keep up the intensity.

Daydreamer1

Spending the day at work so I'm missing another lovely day for running.  Yesterday's run was supposed to be 12+ miles of hill repeats but I couldn't get my lazy carcass out the door so I settled for 10.5 miles. Doing one more repeat would have been just about right.

QOTD: Normally just cut back somewhat in the week leading up to the race.  In six weeks I have a hilly 27-29 mile race coming up. I'd like to do fairly well and was planning a full 2 week taper. Unfortunately I'm not getting in my long runs like I wanted to so I may end up only tapering for about a week,  then use the race as a long, hard training run in preparation for a marathon I'm doing in September.

some call me Tim

Sleepy hits the nail on the head for me!

Yesterday I ran that hard 5k, and though I know I haven't been doing much fast running, it surprised me how hard it was and how it knocked me out after. I've been feeling like I might be getting sick the last few days, but nothing's come of it yet. Then this morning I went with the planned hilly road 21 miler. From the start I knew it wasn't gonna go well. I can tell how hard I'm working by what breathing patterns I fall into and everything was off... and by mile 17 or so I had to call for a ride home. Nothing specific, just not a bit of energy left. Got home and crashed, I must have slept for almost 3 hours, and my internal thermostat was doing that too hot/ too cold thing. Now I'm just dragging myself around the house.

I'm not sure what the hell is going on, but I definitely need to take it easy the next few days and reassess.

qotd: My experience usually goes like like couch says. Actually, that's pretty much the deal for all training - I make a specific plan (I love the ability to do that on here and have it email you the next day's workout) and then adapt based on how I'm feeling or what life does to screw it up. I've experimented some with tapers and now stick to two weeks. First week 70% average mileage and all running at goal pace, second week a few more runs along those lines and then a bunch of rest and walks. No last minute shakeout runs.

moonlightrunner

9 "fast for me miles" at the State park. It was going to be 15...but the mosquitoes and flies convinced us to bag it after the first loop. I need to start taking spray with me so I can reapply on the run. We had a very long "mosquitoe free season". Now, they are making up for it.

Warden: it sounds like a great couple of weekends!

Lace: I hope you recover well and have a great time out with your pointers and your wife. I was looking at rescue pointers on line last night. I would love to have a second one!

FTYC: sounds like a great family time. Hope you find a great trail.

Qotd: if I ever get the time to train again (hoping for Dances With Dirt in September..50k...50 mile if I win the lottery and can quit my job and hire a nanny)...it is likely I will wing my taper...just like I do the rest of my life. I make lots of plans...following through is problematic for me.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Kinda busy this weekend, no time to get online, that's a good thing.

On Saturday I did 15 miles along the river on the flat trails, pretty good pace.  I do that to get my running miles.  Then Sunday I went up the mountain on the single track for 11 or 12 miles.  The flat and downs are running, but the climbs are a fast walk.

Sunday was fun because as I was coming around the corner to get to the trailhead I saw two American guys in running stuff and hydro-packs. Really unusual!!!!  Without breaking stride I said to them,  "we going to the top or what?" They bursted out laughing saying they couldn't find the trailhead (which is actually hard to pick out because it is between a few buildings)...... just follow me....  Turns out they were two young US Air Force guys down from Osan Airbase near Seoul, wanting to visit Busan and scout out the trail for the Busan 100k to be held next October.  Had a great time running the next 2+ hours with them.  Was also nice helping out a couple of military guys and it was duly noted that it was the 4th of July weekend.  Since they are doing it, I also signed up for the Busan 100k, something I had been thinking about, but now it's official. They inspired me. It'll be a month after Fuji, but should be ok, I'll just channel my "inner lace_up".

qotd:  I do my last long run 2 weeks before the race and then do sort of a countdown, less miles each week.

tbd.