Trailer Trash

Tuesdaily (Read 16 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Didn't get my run yesterday, but I brought my gear and ran 5 miles after I dropped my mom off for eye surgery. Back at surgical center now and she's got another 30 minutes or so for tear duct surgery.

Ran at Lake Redman in York, PA. Terrible smell the whole time from the paper mill at Sping Grove.   I don't know how anyone can live near that plant. It sure was a contrast with the nature beauty and the unnatural smell.

QOTD - got nothing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

I managed to get up and run a lackluster 5 miles this morning. Hips, calves, and shins are super tight. I need to stretch; the running loosened things up a bit, but I really need to focus on stretching since my volume is steadily climbing. It isn't very high yet, but is steadily climbing.

Those paper mills are some smelly places. When the wind is wrong, you can smell them for miles and miles away.

QOTD: What is your biggest hindrance that might keep you from running?

Right now, it is the heat. It was a combination of heat and horseflies, but the horseflies seem to be dissipating at a pretty high rate now. I had one buzz me this morning.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD :  I hate high humidity, so I'll go with that. I also watch the weather closely to check  for lighting near by. I had an indirect lighting hit when I was in college. Never want to have that again.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

qotd: biggest hindrances are procrstination and laziness, but if you look only at external factors it would be very low windchill.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

No run yet for me today, but my running group is starting to meet for weekly track workouts and that is the plan for tonight. I'm still a trail runner, though.

qotd: the double whammy-- heat and humdity. It's so hard to motivate out the door when I know it's going to be a sufferfest. I would much rather run in frigid weather.

Sandy-2

I slept in this morning so I'll run after work today.  I think I am finally back in my 'home time zone', but I still needed to sleep in this morning.

qotd: I like to say lightening is the only thing that stops me, but sleeping in is a very close second. 

tbd.

LB2

QOTD :   I had an indirect lighting hit when I was in college. Never want to have that again.

I'd like to hear more about that. At Rocky Raccoon in 2012, we had a lightning strike just before the start that was extremely close. I just knew they would call the race. i think the early starters had already left, mostly barefooters or sandal wearers. And in 2011, the MS50 race got called by the forest service about 8 hours into the 12 hour 50 mile race. I had already finished the 50K, but I was surprised they even let us start the race that day. I had at least two close strikes that day, but nothing that I would call an indirect strike.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A nice 5 this morning in light rain.

QOTD: Lack of time.  Plain and simple.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

I'd like to hear more about that. At Rocky Raccoon in 2012, we had a lightning strike just before the start that was extremely close. I just knew they would call the race. i think the early starters had already left, mostly barefooters or sandal wearers. And in 2011, the MS50 race got called by the forest service about 8 hours into the 12 hour 50 mile race. I had already finished the 50K, but I was surprised they even let us start the race that day. I had at least two close strikes that day, but nothing that I would call an indirect strike.

I was coaching a swim team and managing a Country Club pool at the time.  The lifeguards took care of all the grass inside the pool area, and I was helping one of the guards start a gas weed-eater.  I didn't have shoes on and as I was holding the trimmer (touching the metal handles), lightning struck a big oak tree about 10 yards away.  I got a pretty good jolt and I remember I couldn't even scream. My arms tingled and I couldn't close my finger for about an hour.  EMS got there and checked me out, but all vitals were good, and I didn't have any burns so hospital said I didn't need to be transported.  The oak tree lost a huge branch, so I was double lucky.  The guard that I was instructing had on shoes but still got a little jolt. It was overcast but no rain yet, and no thunder, so we had no warning.

Daydreamer1

Planning on about 5-8 miles today.  Need to get some mileage into the legs so I will run but the distance all depends on what SW wants to do. If she wants to walk and meet up with me then I'll run the longer distance. If she wants to do a bike ride I'll come back from that and just do a shorter run.

AT - Ahhh, the nice lovely smells of Glatfelter paper company.  Brings back the memories of when I worked in York City. Our old station sat right along side of the Codorus Creek.  Even if the air smelled Ok the creek still stank.  I heard they have paid many fines for air and water pollution over the years.  I think they are better than they were in the late 90s.

Runtrail - I've been wanting to do some track workouts but never seem to get around to it.

QOTD: A certain four letter word............................WORK.  If it's not at my job then it's the stuff I need to get done around the house.  But then to really think about it if I didn't procrastinate so much with getting my work around the house done I'd be finished sooner and could go for longer runs.  So why do I procrastinate so much???? Well on further reflection that seems to be partly related to spending too much time playing around on the internet. So, maybe the real answer should be the internet and the time I spend on that.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Ahhh, the nice lovely smells of Glatfelter paper company.  Brings back the memories of when I worked in York City. Our old station sat right along side of the Codorus Creek.  Even if the air smelled Ok the creek still stank.  I heard they have paid many fines for air and water pollution over the years.  I think they are better than they were in the late 90s.

Glatfelter owns the logging rights to Michaux, so I guess I was smelling the old trees I used to see on Grave Ridge

Beautiful trees + SO2 = yuck

When I coached XC, our course was at Codorus SP.  We only got the paper mill smell once every 2-3 weeks. That was bad enough, and the kids always had a bad practice when the smell hit.

LB2

AT: You were all lucky that day. I've seen it strike close with no warning, too. But it never got that close to me on days like that. I did have a bolt hit an oak tree in my old neighbor's yard. It was loud. Their dog was in his dog house underneath that tree. He had a rubber mat on the floor, and the house was slightly raised off the ground. He was okay. I was on my porch, and tree bark flew everywhere.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Me and the mutts ran 16 miles this morning,,,made me late to work...who gives a shit, not I.

QOTD:  Laziness and drinking too much. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

DW is visiting youngest DD, so Tiny Elvis and I are batching it all week.  Lots of hot dogs, hamburgers and ordering pizza out 

TE and I will head out after work for 3-4 miles of hike/jog; it was 98 degrees yesterday a new record high- yippee   Supposed to be high 70's today so we should be good.

qotd: I would like to say heat, but I have a OK work around for it- get up at 4:00 AM; 0 or below no real work around other than the treadmill

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √