Trailer Trash

Meteorology Monday. (Read 18 times)

LB2

Weather man got it wrong again. SRD, though. I was going to take the day off yesterday, but the weather guy said it was going to be stormy at 4:30 this morning. So, I got up off the couch and went for a hike/run with the dog yesterday evening. It was a half mile being pulled by the dog followed by 3.5 of me pulling the dog. Then, I dropped him off and ran an easy mile loop back to the house through the woods.

Do you live in an urban, suburban, or rural area? And how do you like living in that type of area?

I am in a very rural area, and I like that. I grew up in a rural area, and I don't think I am suited for urban living. Even the town I did live in was a small, rural town of about 600 people. I lived in a larger town in college, and I lived in a pretty metro area when I was in Japan. I don't care for cities and avoid them if possible. I could probably live in Denver, though. I think I could do that.

LB2

Daydreamer1

SRD due to working.  The DOMS is starting to set in so I'll try to get some stretching in today.  Feel like I should have slept in and came in late.  I probably could have done that and then blamed being late on flooded roads. The central part of the state had a lot of rain with some flooding.  It wasn't bad in my area but some places got hit pretty hard.

Gatsby -  Just a followup on your question on GPS watches.  You do not want a Polar M400. My battery died at 6 1/2 to 7 hours on Saturday and that was without using the HRM.  On top of that I don't know if I'll ever get another Polar product. I still haven't been able to upload the data from that run. It appears that it's a problem with the polar flow website. It's very common for me to have that problem. At one time I considered Polar the best, but not anymore.

QOTD: Live a rural area. Always have. Did live on the outskirts of a small town for a few years. That was back in the day when we'uns was real trailer trash .  Lived in a semi-dumpy trailer park but we were rarely home.  I can't imagine living anywhere but in a rural area. It would drive me nuts to have to deal with parking issues, snow removal and neighbors so close you could touch houses. Now I can do pretty much what I want to. If I need to shoot some sparrows or ground hogs no one cares. I can mow my lawn when ever I want and don't have to worry about the cops checking on my vehicles to see if they are working.  I can head out the door and have a lot of options for riding my bike or running and the traffic is tolerable even when it's bad. It's really nice to be able to wake up in the morning and go outside and enjoy the scenery or sit  on the deck and watch the sunset. Even when my security light is on at the front of the house I can sit in the back yard and see the stars. The list of good things could just go on and on.

The past 2-3 years I've been working in a rural area but I really miss working in the city.  But working in the city and small towns and knowing people who live there makes me realize how good I have it.  Well over half of the calls that police respond to are nothing more then neighbors arguing with each other or trying to establish their dominance. I personally know the police chief of the town that I'm working out or today and most of the people in this town want to be his friend, but only so they can sic him on other people.  Living around crap like that would make me homicidal.

runtraildc

4 miles along the prairie trail in DH's hometown this am. The GSP was sleeping when I left but greeted me when I returned. He knows what he missed. Maybe tomorrow. 

Qotd- urban/suburban- the best of all worlds, imo. Can walk to everything, including metro, but also surrounded by parks. Live visiting my sister, too, in rural nh. I like it all

LB2

I personally know the police chief of the town that I'm working out or today and most of the people in this town want to be his friend, but only so they can sic him on other people.  

Hahahaha. People are like that in every small town. They want all laws enforced as long it doesn't impact what they are doing: speeding, building fires during a burn ban, open containers at the park, etc.

I could give you countless examples of situations where someone who had a minor infraction of the law have been totally vilified by people who dislike him/her and the same people want you to look the other way when someone who is "on their side" actually does something that should probably result in at least an initial arrest.

LB2

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

5.6 easy miles in the park

qotd: suburban area, sprawling type unlike where I grew up with sidewalks and everything within walking distance. I don't ever see myself living in a city again, and I'd miss my conveniences living in a rural area.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

AT-runner

Tim

Plan is to run 2-3 flat miles at lunch.

DD - I see they had to "modify" the course for the rest of he 24 hour.

Jess and I got our 100 Mile+ Belt Buckles from Sole Challenge in Saturday's mail.

QOTD:  Rural where our house is. Pretty close to DC, Baltimore, Harrisburg, etc. if we want to see city folks.  We have 10 acres of land, and our little homestead was a great place to raise our 3 kids.  Grew up in the MD Suburbia of DC, and it used to take me 45 minutes to drive 8 miles to work.  Now takes me 7 minutes to drive 5 miles to work.

We were in NYC last weekend, and the horn honking and crowds were starting to really get to me. That was the first time that I felt like I actually hated a city.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a gorgeous 24-ish miles in yesterday in the Crazy Mountains- about 6 miles off trail so I could make it a loop, more hiking than running so took most of the day

strength train this evening

qotd: : suburban, but Montana is pretty rural in that you don't ever have to far to get out of urban/suburban

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

5.3 muddy trail miles last night.

My surprise birthday present was tickets to go to the Hershey theater for  Motown the musical. It was a really great show!

QOTD  I grew up in a rural area where we could shoot guns in the backyard. I  bounced around a lot, living anywhere I could including  large cities and we bought a house  2 miles from where I grew up.  We are more in a small town now, with a Lowe's down the street and corn fields beside us.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My long run yesterday of 19.5 was pretty sucky...at least the last 10.  It was sooo hot I was dying.   I was running along the Yuba River but with only a few places you actually come down to the water.  Enjoyed a little skinny dip at mile 16 which helped cool me down a bit.

Today I walked the dog and will hit gym at lunch.

LB:  Earl ran all 19.5 basically pulling me.  Funny thing is I was walking the ups at the end.  He seemed to know it as every time we crested a hill he would start running again.

QOTD:  I guess rural...I am 6 miles out of a small town.  We all live on acre lots surrounded by woods.  If our town was larger I would say suburban.  How do I like it?  I love it...wouldn't have it any other way.  Love small towns, love stepping out my door and running a trails system (part legal/part bootleg) that if I hit all trails would/could be 30 miles.  It rarely snows here but driving an hour gets me to a ski resort.  Lakes galore, mountains, dirt roads... that being said we are looking for a new place to live. 

Here are some pictures...excuse the blur..still have a iPhone 4 and have no intention of replacing.

Someone cemented the rocks years ago..

No automatic alt text available.

Beautiful green Yuba

I should be spending the day here instead of running!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

it was pretty warm yesterday, even on the mountains

things that helped- soak entire shirt/cap in water- this provided an hour or more of comfort; when I could find it- stuff snow under my cap, stand up to my waist in cold lakes- I didn't see a soul so I could of done the Queen trick and skinny dipped 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jonferg67

Endless trails

SRD for me today. I did manage two decent runs over the weekend in

my new NB Leadville shoes.

Nice pics, Queen.

Congrats, AT and Jess. Now it's real!

QOTD: I would call this rural, but we are still located inside the NY metropolitan

area. I work in the Bronx, so my commute in and out of work is always and

adventure, and keeps my PTSD alive.

AT-runner

Tim

My long run yesterday of 19.5 was pretty sucky...at least the last 10.  It was sooo hot I was dying.   I was running along the Yuba River but with only a few places you actually come down to the water.  Enjoyed a little skinny dip at mile 16 which helped cool me down a bit.

As they always say, pictures, or it didn't happen.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

No run today, though I did get to the planet of fitness for legs, core, and stretching. Trying to add some extra leg days in there to strengthen things up. I did get out for a 6 mile trail slog jog hike with the lady yesterday at Birdsboro watershed. Humid and moist out there. Golf on Saturday but that does not count as exercise since I did not walk. My putting stunk. Seems I three putted almost all the greens I hit in regulation. My knee feels surprisingly good today but I will resist the temptation to run. I've been rolling the heck out of the quadriceps attachment as part of my diagnosis is quadriceps and patellar tendonitis.

QOTD: Suburban I guess, more than an hour from Philly, 45 minutes from Allentown, and 30 minutes from Reading. Just a few miles away I would consider country living. We live in a development but it's not dense. Typical lot size is about 1 acre so houses are not right on top of each other. It's a nice balance of having enough but not too much land, for maintenance purposes and breathing room.

Queenie/Warden - Good runs, adventures and nice photos.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

As they always say, pictures, or it didn't happen.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Looks like a nice area, Sue. If I lived there, I would probably fish a lot.

I don't know what is wrong with my dog. He just has absolutely no endurance.

LB2