Trailer Trash

North Face Endurance Challenge--San Francisco (Read 35 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My running for the last month has taken a serious hit: especially the long runs.  My running partner signed up for the North Face (NF) 50 miler.  Now I have been wanting to step up to the 50 miler but wasn't ready because I knew it would take a lot of time for training and I dealing with personal issues at home.  Not to mention when she chose the NF I was like really...I hated the 50K we did the previous year.  This course if fricking hard!

Anyways, my personal issue left so I came to the forum to ask for advice.  Should I sign up for the 50 miler on my poor amount of training.  The overwhelming response was to go for it.  One voice of reason (MadisonMandy) responded with; I looked at your training log and no you should not sign up for a 50 miler, you idiot.  I listened to Mandy and signed up for the 26 miler.  That cost me over $100...now why did I do that when I could have meet my friends at mile 33 and paced them for 17 miles free!

We were staying at the Hostel which is located right at the start line.  This is good because otherwise you would have to be shuttled into the Golden Gate Recreation.  Our group consisted of 5 people.  3 50 milers, 1 50K and me, 26.2.  I got out of work early and waited for my friend to show up.  She was to get to my house by 3:15..showed up at 4:30.  She had forgotten stuff and had returned home twice.  (She smokes pot...just saying ).   So off to SF we go.  While driving she mentioned she forgot the directions but there was no way she was going back home again.  But I had them, there is no way I would rely on her.

The Hostel...they are trying to duck out of the picture I am trying to take a picture of with them in it.

The hostel is a little cramped room with two bunk beds one being a double on the bottom.  It's warm here 64 and pouring rain.  Your not allowed to have alcohol in the hostel so we sit in the car and have a beer.  Then I sneak one into the room.  When it was time to sleep Ben and I had ear plugs and slept like babies.  The other three did not, we were next to the bathroom.  We got up at 3:30 for the 5AM start of the 50 miler.

I am in green drinking, my running partner is blue.  My running partner also forget to pack her bladder for her pack.  I offered her mine and she refused which I think was stupid being she never runs with a bottle and this being her first 50.  The woman in the black is Peggy; she has run many 100 (I think she did WS 8 times)  and her daughter Rhonda is in purple.  Rhonda has just began running with her Mom and attempted a 100 at Pine to Palm but they were cut off at 68 miles.  So they sign up for 100 Del something in CA 3 weeks ago and she was able to finish.  After I saw them off I climbed back into bed.  Ben was still there and a bit chatty.  His race began at 7AM.  I was able to fall asleep for an hour.

Beginning50 miler and a picture of Tim Olson..he's the guy with the light on his head.

Okay now the race...the gun went off and out I went.  The first mile is flat, then you hit the hill.  At this point I am feeling good and run walking the hill.  Later I will return to this hill and say screw it I am walking!  I am thinking to myself cockily..This is why I like shorter runs you can actually run them and work hard.  Like I said earlier I knew this course was a bitch and it still is.   We are going to climb two of the hills twice.  This made me a little pissed.  All these trails out here and I am doing a loop!!!  We never looped on the 50K last year.

Most of the trail was actually a gravel road.

I don't know how some people remember the details of there run so well.  Maybe it's because they are young and don't drink as much as I do.  So basically "power hiking" up the hill and running down the hill.  Around mile 8 to 10 we were treated to the best part of the run.  A nice up and down along the coast with beautiful views, it was 2 miles of awesomeness and then back to the climbs.  This year that part of the trail was a be muddy.  Some people were fighting the mud on the down hills when really it was best to just run so there was no time to slip.  You could tell that with each step you were also receiving a bit of a tug.  On a side note the 50 milers totally fought some mud we would never see.

Two pictures from the best part of the run.

Photo opp..

This consistent climbing or downhill running made running on a level feel weird.  You felt awkward and couldn't get a rhythm going but level never lasted that long anyway.  Around mile 19.8 we were heading downhill into an aid station.  This is were the 50 milers, 50 K and the Marathon folks all came back together.  So felt a bit like a party until you hit the aid station were turned around and had to go back up the hill.  It's really hard on your ego when a guy running the 50 miler passes you on the hill climbs.    He could also tell the 50 milers from others because they were completely covered in mud on their lower halves.

I was talking to a 50 miler when another came along.  He looked at the guy and gave him a fist pump for also doing the 50 and then looked at my bib (pink) and turned away.  Fucking Ultra snob!!     The last six miles we had to deal with very fast and spunky Marathon relay folks that wanted to pass us on the downhill.   The road was wide but the flat dry spot was narrow.  I let them go around me.

The last hill down...were the slow and tired tried to keep to the smooth part as the fresh relay folks flew by.

Finished the race in 5 hours and 22 minutes.  Not so bad for being undertrained.  I was also 2 in my age group of 4.   at the time I looked I was actually second and last in my age group...but two other old ladies finished later.  I waited for my friends to finish; knocked off 3 beers and began the fourth when a 50 miler asked where I got it.  It was my stash and knowing that I had to drive home still I offered it to him.  I guess running 50 miles makes you accept a partially drank beer from a stranger.

This is a beautiful place so I hate to knock it but I will not sign up again.  For the most part it is open fields and I like the woods.  I also like a more runnable course then the "power walking' this bitch is.  I was going to give you the exact details of my finish but the result thingy is still spinning.  I do know I was upper middle of the pact which I am always proud to be in.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Upper middle class is a pretty good place to be. That fist pumper was probably a Cross-Fitter.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Good run there queenie on the run and the beer smuggling into the hostel. Did you wish you were running longer than 26.2? The views from that one section are nice but dang they need some trees.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

What kind of beer?  You must have felt like a HS kid drinking in the car.

Agree with XT, not used to seeing a trail without trees and rocks.

Nice job, Sue.  Still can't believe you listened to Mandy over all of us enablers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

Congrats!

I am so sorry I missed you (you probably missed our offer by PM to host you last night being at a hostel and all, though it seems you did not drive yourself so that would have been an issue -- next time).

I have only run the 50k when it was rerouted due to intense rain (is that what happened to your course)?

The trails in Mt. Tam are often more single track and wooded, but they are often steeper. I do think the Marin Ultra Challenge courses are awesome, with very little overlap and using some of the best trails in the area.

Of course, you can just forget the crowds and come run anytime you want with a decent hydration pack and get water near Muir Beach or the Green Gulch Zen Center. I would love to run there with you someday soon.

hog4life

From a trail running noob, congrats.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Good run there queenie on the run and the beer smuggling into the hostel. Did you wish you were running longer than 26.2? The views from that one section are nice but dang they need some trees.

The goal was to finish, drink a beer and jump on the shuttle to meet my 50 milers at the aid station and help them in.  Figured at that point they would have slowed way down.  But when I finished I just wanted to sit down.  Which I did.  After a couple of beers I felt like I could get back out there but was unsure if they had passed yet.  Glad I didn't go in the end since they were an hour and half off their goal and I would have waited around (without beer ) for awhile. XT I have been smuggling beer for a long time!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

ummm The Banquet Beer....Coors.  They had Sierra Nevada they which I did partake in the celebration brew.  I am always going to take a woman's advice over a bunch of guys!

What kind of beer?  You must have felt like a HS kid drinking in the car.

Agree with XT, not used to seeing a trail without trees and rocks.

Nice job, Sue.  Still can't believe you listened to Mandy over all of us enablers.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Oh I bet there are some really cool trails there that they by pass due to the number of people in the run.  It would be fun to run with you sometime in those special places.  I know on the 50K we did hit some nice woods last year.  I drove but had to return Saturday night to take care of Earl..my husband sells at the Alameda Antique Swap Meet on Sunday.

Congrats!

I am so sorry I missed you (you probably missed our offer by PM to host you last night being at a hostel and all, though it seems you did not drive yourself so that would have been an issue -- next time).

I have only run the 50k when it was rerouted due to intense rain (is that what happened to your course)?

The trails in Mt. Tam are often more single track and wooded, but they are often steeper. I do think the Marin Ultra Challenge courses are awesome, with very little overlap and using some of the best trails in the area.

Of course, you can just forget the crowds and come run anytime you want with a decent hydration pack and get water near Muir Beach or the Green Gulch Zen Center. I would love to run there with you someday soon.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

He was wearing those fitted shorts (like bike shorts) and it looked like his sleeves were cut off.

Upper middle class is a pretty good place to be. That fist pumper was probably a Cross-Fitter.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks noobie. 

From a trail running noob, congrats.

runtraildc

Congrats on your race (and so kind of you to share your beer)!  It sounds as if Mandy gave the right advice (and you were smart to listen to her instead of the peanut gallery).

I know many of those trails and miss that area.  Thanks for the photos!

LB2

He was wearing those fitted shorts (like bike shorts) and it looked like his sleeves were cut off.

Sounds like a Spartan runner or a Tough Mudder...

LB2

Daydreamer1

Fist Bump dude probably lurks here on the forum and was upset because you listened to Mandy instead of us enablers. That was your punishment .

Good Job. As much as I like trees that's an area I'd like to see sometime.

Good run!

No, the Marin Headlands is not known for its trees.  But you can't beat the views!

I saw the mother/daughter ultra ladies, Peggy and Rhonda, at the Rio Del Lago 100 miler a few weeks ago.  I was there crewing for a friend and I knew a couple of the people crewing for your friends.  Pretty awesome that they both did it!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR