Trailer Trash

ES100 Cancellation Reason (Read 28 times)

AT-runner

Tim

This is from their FB page and just posted.

Eastern States 100 Miler

<abbr>1 hr</abbr> · 

Now for the more candid conversation.

One of the things I love about running in the PA Wilds is the ability to disconnect from civilization. Sure, you can find pockets of internet at area campgrounds or the local taverns but cell service is pretty much non-existent and you can avoid human contact for days out there. The relaxing and carefree life can be found up in those hills pretty easily and is why I keep going back there.

On race day, that disconnect from civilization is a huge liability and a safety issue that needs managed. To manage this risk, we request and are granted permission to utilize the regional Incident Management Unit (IMU) through the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency (PEMA). This unit has a requesting process and can only be done so by the proper authorities. Once this is granted, the requesting person must properly staff the IMU and volunteer amateur radio operators must be recruited to man each of the aid stations. The radio operators, who are licensed by the FCC, are key components in tracking runners along the course and relaying the information to the IMU. Then all of this must be coordinated with the onsite EMS, area hospitals, medical and rescue teams, etc. Without communications, participants and volunteers do not have any guaranteed safety measures in place for when an emergency arises. I must provide this level of safety management to hold the event and it is a non-negotiable point in my contract with the State Park and State Forest departments.

I only have to look back 2 weeks at the Worlds End Ultra, which is held to the same safety standards as Eastern, to have multiple examples during the race that the communication staff was critical to participant/volunteer/spectator safety. And while everyone sees the ambulances and medical personnel, what you don’t see are the people in the background coordinating all the pieces to work smoothly and seamlessly together.

Two weeks ago, I was blindsided by a key communications coordinator abruptly quitting the team after months of planning had already taken place. Talk about having your stomach churn and your heart sink in a moment. Unfortunately, the pool of people who can meet the criteria for this position isn’t very large and we have been unsuccessful in securing a person willing and able to fill this role on such short notice. We explored other options that might fill this gap but we haven’t found anything that can properly manage all of our safety risks associated with the race.

So here we are, no communications team, a contract that can’t be met, a cancelled race, tons of email from justifiably angry and disappointed participants, a very sad and confused team of volunteers, and a race director who’s been feeling really awful these past 2 weeks. The whole community surrounding this race, who were looking forward to devoting their time this summer to support you on your journey, is devastated by this news. There is economic fallout for local businesses, the cancelled reservations, the missed opportunities to be in another race, the time spent training for your goal race, the PA Triple Crown. This hasn’t been an easy process for anyone and we are sincerely apologetic for how this situation turned out. I hope this helps your understanding regarding this hard decision.

Refunds will begin early next week and more information about next year’s race and the PA Triple Crown will be released in the upcoming weeks.

Sincerely,

David

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I literally just saw that on FB.  That really sucks.  There has to be another way but the damage is likely done for this year.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Sucks that one person quitting caused a whole house of cards to fall apart. But safety does have to take precedent (not to mention to satisfy the permit contract). I'd be bummed and probably pissed.

Radio communication networks stationed at aid stations, although still used a lot and work just fine, are old school.  Sounds like we'll be headed for individual Spot Trackers or inReach GPS with help/SOS buttons soon.  Probably each runner will have to own one, or rent one via the RD.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sad, and scary that one single person leaving makes the whole race fall apart. Of course there are always key persons who hold a lot of information, jobs and responsibilities, and it is hard to replace them, and virtually impossible at such short notice. If I was the race director, I'd be disappointed and feeling bad, too. I hope this does not jeopardize the continuation of the race in the future. The course and organization were beyond awesome!

Sandy: This might be an option for the future, and make ES organization more independent of a high number of key staff who can make or break the whole race.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

• SPOT X needs a clear view of the sky with no obstructions

• SPOT X is not reliable at the bottom of a deep canyon, in a cave, in an abyss, or in very dense woods.

I wonder how well the SPOTs would work in that terrain up there.  I would think, though, that satellite communications would work from all the aid stations.

But all that being said, the way this is worded makes me wonder if just having SPOTs would help. It sounds like the problem was the coordinator quitting and knowing a little bit about how emergency management works, it may not have mattered what form of communication devices were being utilized.