Trailer Trash

West Day Wednesday (Read 14 times)

LB2

SRD today. I want to run 6 days this week, so Wednesday is my "west" day.

QOTD: Do you associate running with pain?

I do not associate running with pain. I hear a lot of people talk about the pain in an ultra. The only time I may feel pain is if I am running a 5K or something. But I try to run comfortably hard on everything else. If I believe I am pushing too hard, I know that by fatigue more so than pain and adjust accordingly. It may be a question of semantics. Even in a 100 mile run, I don't normally feel pain. At the end of the last one, my feet did hurt, but that did not start until the last couple of miles of a run where I had already run about 108 miles. So, I don't really count that.

LB2

NHLA

8 miles around the mt. Peak color @ 5000'. Can't wait to get on Laurel Mt. this weekend.

qotd  PF hurts for a long time most other pain doesn't last. My high ankle sprain healed up so today was pain free!

AT-runner

Tim

Still catching up from our trip, so might not have time at lunch for a run. If not, I'll do a short run tonight in the dark.

QOTD:  I think hurting and pain are two different tings. I've had "pain" on 2 races. 1 was a torn meniscus after slipping on ice during a 50k. The other was my first 24 hour race where I old bad shoes and bruised my heels pretty badly.  Physical "hurt" is different.  I've had that and just ignore it. I'm a pretty optimistic guy, so I can always look on the bright side and that really helps when things are starting to hurt.  I'm not a believer of no pain no gain.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I may run tonight.  Not sure yet.  Last night I took DS2 to a basketball evaluation.  Both of my boys are playing this year.  Well I got roped into coaching his team.  Great, like I needed one more thing on my plate!

QOTD: Pain is subjective.  I have lots of little aches and pains I associate with running but running in general I do not associate with pain.  Running has actually helped me to regulate other types of pain - for instance I have lower back issues.  The running n a regular basis helps with that.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

I did get out for 3 miles after work in yesterday's heat, actually running in the 93 deg heat probably helped loosen me up a bit.  This morning I got up and did 3 more.  It wasn’t much better weather-wise, tropical, foggy and very humid.  What is all this leaf-turning stuff you guys are talking about?

By the way I signed up for the Hardrock lottery in December.  So far we’re at just under 1300 folks looking to get into the 145 slots.  Oh yay!

qotd: I don’t associate running with pain, but it can get painful.  At Grindstone my quads and lower left leg (calf and behind the knee) were toasted and yes painful for the last 10 miles or so.  Right now I seem to be mostly “pain-free” except for right behind my left knee.  I’ve had this before and it’s not that bad, I’m sure it’s an overuse injury and it will take some slow easy runs / stretching to get it back to normal.  No rush.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I didn't get up but will run at lunch for 5 miles.

QOTD:  Yes, as I lay in my warm bed next to warm bodies I think about how painful the first 3/4 mile of my run is and why the hell would I want to get up and jump into that.    Even on long runs their is a discomfort wouldn't call it pain that I must get through.  If it was actually painful I would walk.

Jamie:  Someone has to do it.   think of it as more time with your boy.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

"West" day?? Were you out hunting Wascally Wabbits last evening??

Got out of work late this morning. At first it was kind of irritating but the drive over the one mountain was worth it. We were at our Lykens station last night and that sits right along a low mountain. Lately I've been going over the mountain rather than around it even though the road is not real nice, because the scenery is a lot nicer and the chance of seeing a bear is pretty high. Of course I never see any , everyone else does. This morning the sun was just at the right height to hit the leaves perfectly. They were mostly yellow and orange with some reds and a few greens still in the mix. The nicest leaves I've seen in the past couple of years. Almost nice enough to load up DW and go for a afternoon drive, almost.  Too much stuff to do to do a 100 mile drive.

Looking at getting in 6-7 miles later this afternoon.

QOTD:

Yes:  Right now my ankles are really bad, so they are stiff and somewhat painful when I start out. Once they loosen up, typically around 2-3 miles, that goes away. When I sit down for any length of time then get up, I hobble for the first few steps until the stiffness and pain works out of them.  If I'd quit running, at least for several months, they would probably improve some.

No:  I don't look at the suffering that I do when pushing hard or running a long distance as being painful. To me the feeling of my heart pounding, muscles screaming, lungs gasping for more air, actually feels good , especially when I get over the top of a hill or ease up and recover. It's actually a feeling that keeps me pushing.

What I really associate with a type of discomfort that I could do without and actually dread, is the way my GI tract reacts to running longer distances.  The pressures, bloating, belching and sometimes nausea that I have too much of many times makes me want to quit running longer distances.