Trailer Trash

Low point -- consider calling it a day (Read 45 times)

Watoni

Well, on Sunday I took my mending right ankle/Achilles and started what was a beautiful and halfway decent run in the redwoods. I did a good climb (for me) up a steep trail, went after a little more vert, then was rocking down a trail with downed redwoods to duck, roots, rocks etc. -- a trail I had run on many many times. In a split second I hit an unseen root, face planted and my (until now) unscathed left ankle was the size of a grapefruit. Luckily I could limp the 4-5 miles out of the trail, having seen nobody else and eyeing those cameras presumably set up to watch mountain lions as the sun was fading.

Bottom line, after not having rehabbed one injury fully, I am back to another, and the season looks pretty bleak. I am considering just being a cyclist again and ditching the dismal past 18 months or so of running. I was supposed to start with a running coach May 1 to prepare for Leadville .... now I am very pessimistic, although taking the red eye that night for NY and a ton of work certainly is not helping.

Ughhhhh

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So sorry....

You sound a little like me.  One injury, then another, and another.  I haven't given up all hope on running but I completely understand the feeling.

Hope things work out for you.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Ouch.  And hang in there.  It seems as if you're running a streak of injuries, combined with a good dose of bad luck.   Eventually it will end.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

totally sucks...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

" ... Bottom line, after not having rehabbed one injury fully, I am back to another ... "

Watoni,  Sorry to say, and you probably don't want to hear this, but I think the sentence above speaks volumes.  I know that I haven't had the patience to fully recoup before pushing on and the result has been either re-injury or I injure something else.  I feel your pain and frustration, hang in there man.

Oh yeah, please don't go completely back over to the dark side...    ;-)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

Sorry to hear this. I think one of the worst sounds and feelings,  is the crunching of turning a ankle.

I am considering just being a cyclist again and ditching the dismal past 18 months or so of running.

With my ankle problems and combined with my stomach issues on longer runs, I've been contemplating going back to cycling full-time as well.  The problem is I'll miss the trail running scene and I keep remembering some of my bike injuries. I figure that laying the bike down and skinning myself or breaking a arm is a pretty good risk as well.

FWIW, I'm now using ankle braces when doing any races, and on select training runs. They saved me from at least three good ankle rolls during my last race.

AT-runner

Tim

Wow, sorry to hear.  Agree with some of the others, heal and reevaluate.  Run when you can and cycle when you must.  Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

Thanks!

It is an awesome black and blue now in addition to the swelling Wink Doing two cross-country flights in 48 hours only helps.

I do hear the advice to be patient. In terms of having gone back too early, my doc, PT and (hopefully still) coach all said I should be running on trails. The injury was to my stronger left foot that has never had issues and was really just from sliding on the wet trail and hitting the root at full speed. Unlike my right ankle, which does give way more easily now and would benefit from more strength training (and I am doing PT for it), the left ankle still feels more stable than the right. My main concern is that I yanked the Achilles.

My brother-in-law, who is a pediatric heart surgeon, saw a picture of my foot and had this to say:

Ouch. That is a bona fide sprain. Miserably uncomfortable, swollen, throbbing, need to be off of it for weeks. Did real medical persons weigh in on this? 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Watoni, that sucks, and I guess I understand how you might be feeling now.

You might not want to hear this, too, but most injuries heal up (or get much better) eventually, within a few YEARS. Yes, years, that thing with the 12 months. Being patient might not be what you want right now, but if you are forced to cut back and rest up, it will change your perspective, and eventually let you come out stronger on the other side.

You are young, which improves your chances of healing up more quickly. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Don't completely throw the season out the window. Perhaps not Leadville this year, but there are many other races which are great to run, and which don't require the intense, relentless training cycle that Leadville does. Give it some rest, then re-think your plans again.

Run for fun.

LB2

You have a very deep base of fitness, and I believe that means a great deal in the amount of time it takes you to get back on track after a lay off to recover from an injury. It won't take long to get back in tip top shape once you are fully recovered. In the meantime, ride the bike, walk, etc.

LB2