Trailer Trash

Mountian Lakes 100 RR (Read 25 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Saw there were 4 tight knit girls who planned to run Mountain Lakes 100 this year and I decided to join in. Before sign up, they keep talking about what they were going to do and I was noticing I was never included. I did not sign up and when my friend asked why, I said I did not want to train alone and felt I was not part of their group. She assured me I was wrong and totally welcome, so I added myself to the waitlist number 114.

I ran Mt Hood 50 miler in June and decided after that race I was done with anything over 50K. But wait, I start to travel up the wait list. Hmmm I am in pretty good shape, it is probably the year I should commit OK. Dr Jamie made a comment about me doing a 100 before him. Although I am a lazy runner (and I think at times Jamie allows other things to get in the way) we both like a little competition. So that was all I needed to keeping training for a 100 as I move up the wait list.

The girls who are training for the race have a leader. So I text the leader and said I am planning to do the race and could she let me know about their training runs, especially the back to back they had planned. Sure she said, feel free to come just get your own rides. So we did a 42 mile run on the PCT from HWY 80 to Sierra City. I felt really good; although I thought it should have been closer to the race time.

So now I know I am in. My friend Rose agreed to travel with me and pace me from mile 55 to 71. I thought she was going to do 71 to 100 but she has a 50 miler in 3 weeks and e=felt that was too far for her. So we drive up Thursday to Bend and camp illegally at a full campground and not pay but never get caught. We could not believe it was full! Next day up to Olallie Lake and set up camp. Check in. You get a free pair of Nike shoes. Unfortunately, I never tried mine on and they are excessively small. My number was 269; easy to remember (for unmature audience only (Bert-O)) because “To 69 or not, that is the question!”

Ollalie Lake and Mt Jefferson

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

We attend a pasta dinner and I meet some folks from the FB page that I had been talking with. Than off to bed. It was supposed to rain that night. I wole up a few times and no rain. I dreamed I woke up and it was hot out and I realized it was 11:39 am. I was so mad at those “bitches” for not coming to get me when I didn’t show up! But it was just a dream, and when I woke up it was cool and raining. The rain stopped temporarily, I pooped, I had coffee, I ate a cup of noodles and a banana.

I get to the back of the line with the mean girls (they are not mean that are just sooo cliquish and follow their leader so blindly, that they bug me). The race start on an un impressive jeep road for a few miles and then you hit a single track that takes up a large granite hillside. I did not have my camera here but it was extremely beautiful. There had been a fire and the trees were dead and black but golden brown where the bark had fallen off. New growth was below green with yellow and red bushes in between. It was rather breathe taking and surreal. After 2 hours, the sun appeared to be coming out. I ditched my rain jacket at an aid station. As we reached the top, the wind whipped up and it started to down pour on us. Luckily I had one of those cheap ponchos so I put it on. We went around this MT and back to the jeep road and back to the start (26 miles). I was hanging with the mean girls still as I didn’t want to go out to fast. I am poor at pacing myself. They talk a lot about bees/wasp. Well I was stung in the back of the thigh by one. Afterwards I heard one person received 18 stings, so I was lucky.

Rose meet me and I slammed an ensure. It was so good I drank another one. I started to leave and one of the girls was in the outhouse and the leader was yelling at them to get going and then to wait for Y. At that point I was like…I am off just going to do my own thing. Saw them again at mile 85ish.

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

My plan was to run until 12 PM the next day and not really look at my watch until then. Yes I did a couple of times but I just keep going. Somewhere around mile 51 I was thinking this is just dumb. All this work and effort for what??? I didn’t create anything, I didn’t fix anything, I didn’t help anyone. All this energy just wasted. I thought about getting in the jeep at 55 and going back to camp. I wasn’t hurting, I just “wanted to stop” (Forest Gump). But I didn’t.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor, nature and water

Got to Clackmas Aid Station, 55 miles and 11AM. Changed sock cause it felt like stuff was floating around in there. Ate a cup of mashed potatoes with broth, yummy and grilled cheese sandwiches. Rose and I ran around the lake together 16 miles. It took us 4 hours but it went to fast. Rose informed me my Jeep check engine light came on. Figured it was Oregon gas causing the problem, but checked the oil and radiator fluid before setting off again. I am at mile 71 and it’s around 3 AM. I picked up poles here.

Warden Shot...I am ok with looking old.

Image may contain: Sue Piscatella, flower and outdoor

I planned the last 31 to be a hike back. But no I had all this energy all of a sudden. So I took off running and fast hiking. From 26 to 55 I was alone and now 71 I was alone again. I was also passing a few people. I stopped to change my batteries and when I went to leave, I saw an animal on the side of the trail. It was a light tan and quickly turned around and went behind a tree. I could still see his eyes looking at me. It didn’t sound like a deer when they run (I know, I know..I could hear Warden’s wife mocking me for thinking it’s a mountain lion). I made myself big and slammed my poles together. I looked down the trail and saw a light coming. I wait for him and he said let’s go together. So couple times though the night I would here stuff and get a little spooked. But for the most part I loved running in the night, the rain had stopped around miles 30 ish, it was cloudy but you still got occasional glances of the moon and stars. I loved watching the sky lighten up as dawn arrived.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature

Around miles 85 I heard my name. Two of the mean girls (one has done several 100 and Tahoe 200. The other had rane 104 of the Tahoe 200 as a pacer but this was actually her first 100) had caught up to me. They told me one dropped around 61 because of knee issues and the other asked them to leave her. They were hoping she was still running but she actually dropped around 71 because she knew she would be cut off.

These two were good walkers. I would fall behind and then run to catch up to them. With 11.5 miles left to go is when my legs and feet really started hurting me. I wonder if those two hadn’t passed me if my mo joe would have stayed with me. At anyrate I gave myself permission to just continue doing my thing. At the last aid station, an out and back, I saw about 8 people. I ended up passing most of them but never caught up to the mean girls. They finished about 5 minutes ahead of me.

My face saws I feel like hell but I did not...I think I was saying .."take the f*cking picture!" 

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, tree, outdoor and nature

and yes Gator eye...immediately to the beer

Image may contain: Sue Piscatella, smiling, outdoor

I finished 103 out of 121, 39 DNF'd.  28 hours, 32 minutes, and 13 seconds.  4th in age group out of 9, 5 finished and 4 dropped.

All and all I felt really good. Being a cool weather 100 really helps. I was drinking twailwind for the first time. That shit is good, it barely has a favor and goes down easy. I immediately began drinking beers. We stayed and watched until the 30 hour when no more belt buckle. One girl came in 4 minutes later and she was OK as she “doesn’t wear belts” but than I guy my age came in. I felt bad for him, he was really disappointed.

Your turn Jamie…and good luck Sandy.

AT:  Thanks for being a friend.

Gatsby:  We told one of the girls who dropped out she should sign up for Del Rio Lago and we would help her finish it.  The "leader" was rushing her too much and she forgot to pick up her flashlight and felt stressed out the whole time.

Thanks for giving a shit about me guys. 

and Mountain Lakes was a WS qualifier but no.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Wow Queenie... you made that sound easy. Almost rhymes.

Sounds like an odd group you were up there with. Smart move to do your own thing. Didn't see too much suffering in your report so that's good. Nice fall colors out there in Oregon already. Must have been nice. There is nothing too sensible about running 100's other than to see if you can do it, get through the highs and lows, and finish the damn thing. You did all of those and finished with a shiny buckle and a beer. Thanks for taking us along. I fear my days of 100's are over, so will live vicariously through you all. Very happy for you. What a great year of running you've had.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Yay Sue !!!!!!!  Great job.  You're a 100 miler.  Yeah sometimes ya wonder why we are doing these things, but....  as the song goes, you got a buckle you can't buy.  You made it sound easy, and I'm sure you made it look easy too.  Nice photo with the red leaves in the background.

I just hope my run next weekend goes just as smoothly.

Congratulations.

tbd.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I stole these pictures from the beginning of the run.

I am in green

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, outdoor and nature

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Congratulations, Sue.  Always nice to see Hood.  I'm very happy for you.

Mean girls suck!  As I was reading, I secretly hoped they all DNF'd, but I'm not a men guy, so I'm glad for the 2 that did finish.

Wow, I thought you had the pacer thing all set for night running.  You're right, good thing they came along since it probably did push you.  The mid-point-blues are common and I've had that same feeling like "why am I here".  I goes away as I get closer to the end. The  when you finish, you realize why you pushed yourself.

Don't think anyone I know has ever checked their oil and radiator fluid during a race.

You have to train to walk fast.  It takes time, but can really help when you need to push quickly.  Took Jess a while to learn how to walk quickly. It really helped her at last years's 48hr.

Good move on the sock change.  I'm always amazed at how much dirt gets inside the shoes and inside the socks.

I like Tailwind.  Several flavors now, but I like the "Naked" stuff that doesn't taste like much.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

dhuffman63

Trails

Too cool Sue...awesome report and pictures.  Makes me wish.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Wow, great RR and awesome job!  Loved all the pics.  I agree with XT, in that it sounded easy (not that it was by any means), but if the deepest self-reflecting philosophical debate you have with yourself is to 69 or not, then I'd say you were in really good shape!  Glad you did't run into major issues with the rain and of course, that the boogie man, a mountain lion, or Sasquatch didn't cause any troubles.  Also, I see you had your priorities in order for post-race nutrition replenishment!      Enjoy and rest well!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Beautiful pics and some interesting but odd interactions with the mean girls. I'll leave the 100s to you, Dr Jamie, and the rest. I'm impressed that you continued to train for a 100 after being #269 on the wait list. That's a lot of people to withdraw for you to get a call that you're in. <shakes head>  Makes me wonder what happened to them, injury, conflict with another event, work got in the way?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

“To 69 or not, that is the question!”

I immediately began drinking beers.

Ha!  This is part of why we love you, Sue!

Fantastic running and fantastic report!  You either glossed over all the hurting, or you're just a total badass.  Maybe a little bit of both.  Congrats on getting it done!

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

<hanging head in shame> Geeez I was never even in the game.  Seriously though, that is really cool.  I can remember you making comments (numerous times) that you were no longer running long.  Well, so much for that.  Sounds like you nailed it.  That's a good finishing time.

Agree with AT - mean girls suck! even if they weren't really mean but just snobby.

Even without your comments here, knowing that you finished the other day had me inspired.  2019 it is for me unless I get derailed by some physical issues (finally going to see ortho on Friday).

Congrats! and don't poo poo WS just yet.  

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I am very happy for you. That looks like a great course, and I knew you would be able to get it done. Congratulations!!!

LB2

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Congratulations !

That is a great race report , I love that it made me laugh . Pretty pictures too .

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! You are an inspiration. The pics were beautiful. The weather sounds great. Rain and cool weather!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

GC100k

So cool!

What a beautiful place.

Thanks and congrats.

So you’re saying this was Dr Jamie’s fault?  

Great report and pics.  I need to find another OR race to do, love it up there.

I met met your friend Rose at Tahoe 200. I was cooking burgers at Sierra and she came and introduced herself.  I think she was pacing someone from there.  Nice person, glad you had her with you for a few miles.

PS I did see another person from Grass Valley right about your name in the results list, and wondered it is was one of the mean girls.  I was all, dang Sue could have caught her!  So much easier said than done after 100, I know.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR