Trailer Trash

Muddy Munday (Read 20 times)

LB2

5 early miles in a light rain. It was pretty pleasant. I saw one deer, and one rabbit.

QOTD: Based on normal problems you may have in a race, what is one thing you will always do in a race/event to solve a problem?

I will always drain a blister, bloody or not. I never get blisters on training runs no matter how far or long they seem to be. I always end up with one, two, or many in long races. I drain them and figure nothing is going to happen that antibiotics can't fix. I once allowed an aid station volunteer to fix my brother's blisters at a race. I wasn't really paying attention, and all the guy did was tape the blisters. They continued to collect fluid until his feet were just toasted. It was my fault. I should have drained them.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Rest today. Felt pretty good, but this patience stuff is killing me. I need to get in some sort of shape (besides round) to not slow Warden and DW down on our run in a few weeks.  .

Damn area code change in central PA started today. We now have to enter "717" to all local calls. Argh. What a pain. I have to reprogram a bunch of phone numbers over lunch. Damn technology. 

QOTD:  I never have any race problems.   Most of our long stuff has been timed races for a few years, so preparing ahead of time and having everything we need has helped.  When we need a drop bag, things get trickier as I need to plan out for "A", "B" and "C" scenarios on what I might need.

I always live by the fix it now strategy in a long race.  I changed socks after 6 miles this year in our 48hr because "they didn't feel right". If I get a pebble in my shoe, out it goes right away.  Body glide before chafing starts, etc.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Physical therapy evaluation and treatment today. Funny, the therapist called me an "elite" athlete based on how I appeared compared to others that have had similar procedure. It's all relative I suppose to the normal population they see. Then I fessed up that I had run 8 miles or so yesterday. Oops. She taught me a rather difficult painful move for the quad so will add that into my rehab exercises. Ultrasound, icing, stretching, usual stuff. I am hoping to get this bursa or knot above the knee worked out. That seems to be the big issue I have left.

No run today since I did 8 yesterday. Will walk the dogs a few times.

Good to read our TX, LA runners are making out all right. It looks awful down there. The amount of rain is almost incomprehensible.

QOTD: It's hard to say, depends on what comes up. I do supplement food/fuel with gels in long race and often when I feel myself in a low energy state (ie. running slow!) I will consume 1-2 gels in rapid succession.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Damn area code change in central PA started today. We now have to enter "717" to all local calls. Argh. What a pain. I have to reprogram a bunch of phone numbers over lunch. Damn technology. 

I didn't know there were still areas that did not require 10-digit dialing. That's what I get for living in suburbia.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Shit my quads are sore from yesterday's repeats!!!  Got 3-ish miles in with Tiny early, smoke is bad.

The one thing I normally do well is drink, eat, electrolyte on time- I have a routine that I follow by my watch. Now if I could only get the other stuff right 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Gator eye

Auggh. No run today. I had a old man test at the hospital this morning that had something to do with a air hose and a camera with a little star trek music playin in the back ground. It really has cramped my style if you know what I mean.  You young guys will learn what Im talkim about soon enough.

QOTD: no, Im teribble at race day problem solving, probably why I have so many DNF.

Daydreamer1

Probably do a 5-6 mile run/walk with DW then more chainsaw work.

LB2 - Saw a little fawn on the way home from work then had to stop for for two hens and about 8-12 very nice sized Poults. Yesterday morning I saw two big Toms strutting along the road then had a hen and 5-6 poults scurry across the road in front of me.

AT - Does the bike bother your knee?

XT - Just look around you at the people and it's easy to see why the therapist called you elite. Most people can't walk a 100 yards without having to stop.

WC - I'm with you on the not knowing that some areas didn't have to dial all 10 digits. We've been doing that up here in the sticks for ages.

Warden - With as much climbing as you do that must have been a hard workout.

Gator - Shhhhh..........Please don't mention those tests too loudly. my DW might hear you and start nagging me again to get the same thing done .

QOTD:  Take care of the bear attack. Those things can be devastating and the sooner handled the better .  Otherwise I seem to be too stupid to figure out my problems or to stop for them.

And LB2, just so you are aware, almost any medical professional worth their salt will tell you that you should never pop a blister, ever. Why it says so right there in the textbooks. I mean you could get an infection, loose the toe, or the whole foot or leg, maybe even sepsis and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .  

PS: I rarely get a blister but when I do I pop them or rip them open. Haven't lost a foot or got an infection yet.

AT-runner

Tim

AT - Does the bike bother your knee?

And LB2, just so you are aware, almost any medical professional worth their salt will tell you that you should never pop a blister, ever. Why it says so right there in the textbooks. I mean you could get an infection, loose the toe, or the whole foot or leg, maybe even sepsis and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .  

PS: I rarely get a blister but when I do I pop them or rip them open. Haven't lost a foot or got an infection yet.

Only on hilly rides, and all my rides from my house would qualify as hilly rides.

The ER doc who works at Sole Challenge (he's run 12 JFK 50's) cuts blisters right away. The nurse who was there a couple of years ago scolded him for cutting the blister, and he he told he uses different rules for runners who are still running. It was a funny exchange to listen to. She is not an ER nurse and didn't know he's a runner.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

LB2 - Saw a little fawn on the way home from work then had to stop for for two hens and about 8-12 very nice sized Poults. Yesterday morning I saw two big Toms strutting along the road then had a hen and 5-6 poults scurry across the road in front of me.

1. Sounds like they had one heck of a hatch this spring up your way.

2. I know they say that, which is why I don't consult them. I figure that draining them at the lowest point when I am still on the course is the best way to be able to stay on the course. So far, so good.

LB2

Sandy-2

SRD today.  Still lots of rain today.

We're still high and dry, lost power for an hour today but it's been back on the last few hours.  Drove thru town today and some of the spots I was running in the last 2 days are now 5 feet under water.

qotd: I try to nip stuff in the bud when they first crop up. With blisters, I pop them with pins (race number pins work well) and leave the skin on, if possible cover with tape if it will stick.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Gator eye

No worries DD- the Doc said I was a perfect asshole

• well the wife said that the Doc just said he saw no issues. 
                        mtwarden

running under the BigSky

when I went in last year for mine and was done, they sent me home with a little packet of info; opened it up and amongst other things were three or four photos- WTF?  I told DW should could post them on Facebook if she wanted  

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

I have had two types of scopes, one while I was awake and then a few years later one where they knocked me out. Never doing the one while awake again!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL