Trailer Trash

It's Back (Read 29 times)

Daydreamer1

Several months I had posted that one of our central PA races had bit the dust. This year was to be the last  running of The Bald Eagle Megatransect.  Every year this race was drawing over 1000 signups and people from all over the country. From what has been posted on Facebook, the reason for it's demise was due to logging in the area. Apparently the landowners and race directors couldn't see eye to eye on some of the changes so the RDs decided to shut the race down.  For that decision they both took some criticism and had support in the running community.  Apparently there was some back and forth between the RDs and the City of Lock Haven, who sponsors the event and owns some of the land, over who was most at fault.  At this point it seems like the City was sincere in saying that it wanted the race to continue.

About a month ago it was announced that the race will continue, although it will be with a different name. It will now be known as the "Boulder Beast".   The signature climb on this race is a long boulder field and sometimes the course has two or three boulder fields to cross so the name fits.

The new event was announced on Facebook and left a lot of people confused. The new race director filled in some historical details that made the situation a little clearer.  He was actually the founder of the race and had run it for six years before turning it over to the next directors who in turn have been putting it on for seven years.  The new director also runs a January race over parts of the same course. He originally borrowed the name Megatransect from a African Explorer.   Now that there was contention over the race and he is starting it back up he has decided to pick a new name, hence the change to Boulder Beast.

From the comments on FB, there are some that will not be there to support the "new" race and those that will.

The date for next year is September 24th. It is, of course, my weekend to work.  At this time I'm going to wait until registration opens and  see how many people sign up. If it's sparsely attended I'll probably take some time off to support the event, while if it fills up fast I won't sign up for it. It's really a nice course and I'm glad to see it continuing.

So, if you had thought that this was a race you might like to do and kind of kicked yourself for not doing it in the past, well it's back.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This is a race I never had much interest in...and I cannot figure out why.  I am more interested in the winter race (Frozen Snot) than I am in the "Mega".

But good to hear they kissed and made up!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jmctav23

2/3rds training

that's cool...ill put this one back on the "possible" list.

Daydreamer1

Jamie, just stumbled onto this on FB. Didn't realize that the Frozen Snot had that much elevation gain.   But if you like cold and snow this might be the race for you.  Not sure if I want to do this one or not.  Crossing the streams in the winter is kind of what deters me.  Maybe 2017.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

DD - yes I've seen that chart.  They boast about the avg gain per mile.  I am seriously considering it for this year (2016).  But who knows...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday