Trailer Trash

New Folks Friday? (Read 43 times)

runtraildc

Hi all!  Got in 4 miles of hiking yesterday for a change.  It was a nice break on the legs.

The 'new folks' part of the fridaily is to encourage folks that normally don't post (or ever have posted) to join us, even it it is just for today.  There are a number of us regulars, and from the views, an even larger number of readers.  Don't be a lurker but join in on the fun!

qotd:  Where do you run?  Me, the DC area and my running is usually split between paved and dirt trails.  Surprisingly (at least to me when we moved here 10+ yrs ago), there is a splendid park system here with amazing trails.  I feel lucky to have a wide choice of running routes minutes from my front door, while still living in a city.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning dc.  Should be a bit warmer this weekend ...I think.

Me...I wussed out last night due to the cold windy stuff and just didn't feel like getting bundled up.  So I hoped on the stationary bike and rode for a bit.  It's been a while since I was on the bike.  I need to do that more often.

QOTD: I run in southcentral PA (Harrisburg area) - weeknight runs are through my neighborhood which does include a cool creekside trail that has the general appearance of being secluded.  Weekends I "try" and get out to one of many trails within a 10-35 minute drive.  I have the Appalachian Trail within a few minutes and many others.  I complain sometimes because I don't have what some of you have out in the desert but I do love what the changing seasons do to my trails.

Have a great day and weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today but might go for a long walk after work with DW.  I need to do more walking to get ready for my Spring events.

QOTD:  Michaux Forrest (in South Central Pennsylvania) mostly, but I will drive to the Catoctin MD area and run trails there as well.  During the course of the year, I cover the Appalachian Trail anywhere from Harrisburg to WV.  Also volunteer with Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) doing some trail work.

Happy Friday, and have a great weekend.  Good luck to any racers and pacers out there.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi, I'm new around here...

Honestly, I've been a lazy slacker this week.  I ran 3.5 miles last night and it was cold, so I just said fuck it and went back home.  Happy to report that Bella is feeling a little better -- I've gotten her to eat some chicken now.

QOTD: I run around South Central Wisconsin.  I have so many great trails a short distance from my house.  I am very spoiled.

Running is dumb.

I'm not really new, but don't believe I've posted anywhere in a LONG time.

No run today, try to keep Friday's off for climbing/hiking in the mountains on Saturdays. (Which makes my longs on Sunday's a bit tiring.)

QOTD: I run mainly in the open space parks in the Denver foothills. Favorites are South Valley, Green Mountain and Mathew Winters. Can piece together any distance/elevation needed in some way or form on these trails usually.

muppy

Welcome Derekf!

4.5 hilly road miles last night.

QOTD I live near Hershey, PA I am lucky enough to have the Appalachian Trail, Blue Marsh Lake, and the Horseshoe Trail close by. Also there are lots of little parks,and rail trails nearby. At my work I take care of the trails so I get to run on those frequently (I even drive my bobcat utility vehicle on them to pack down the snow when it gets too deep)  I make sure that the road used for the Hershey Hillclimb on my property is plowed so that I can run on that instead of the roads when are full of snow.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: I run mainly in the open space parks in the Denver foothills. Favorites are South Valley, Green Mountain and Mathew Winters. Can piece together any distance/elevation needed in some way or form on these trails usually.

Welcome.  Remember, pictures of Colorado are always nice for us Easterners. 

sugnim

Good morning all.  No running for me today, but I walked to work.

QOTD: I run all over the mountains and trails of Missoula, Montana.  My weekday runs tend to be along the riverfront trail, which has many names along the way.  Sometimes in the summer, if we're having a nice storm, I'll head into the North Hills to romp in the mud and get my adrenaline rushing with the thunder.  On weekends I like to hit the mountains, and we have no shortage of mountain trails surrounding our town--it would take many years of dedication to cover all of them.

Daydreamer1

Temp of 22, crisp clean air,  clear skies, full moon shining on the crusted snow. The local church sitting on top of a hill had it's front porch light on with lights in the windows and an illuminated steeple. Navigating the roads, some places clear,  in other places covered with snow and ice, was interesting  especially going downhill. There was little need for a light the moon was so bright.  The run took longer then normal. Not so much from the road conditions as from stopping to take in the sights.  Describing a run like this to coworkers results in a sideways glance that questions my sanity. I question theirs. Why would anyone want to stay in their cozy house watching made up drama on a flickering electronic device when they could experience a run/walk like this is beyond me.  That was my last run, which was on Tuesday. If we have to put up with winter, why can't we have a full moon every night?

Worked a 24 hour shift on Wed. then had to take DD to pick up her new car yesterday and chop ice in the driveway. Ended up too tired last night to run .  Looking at getting out this afternoon for a double digit mile run.

DerekF -- I know you say you're not new, but for some reason I don't remember you so welcome to the asylum.

QOTD: Central PA. I live in the country but it's all farm land around me so there are no trails close by. Sometimes I'll head south to the AT especially in the spring. There is a mountain with some state forest land about 7 miles away that has a nice long 2-3 mile climb on a dirt road with a few short spur trails off the sides. Adequate but not optimal. For the best trails I need to go about 25-35 miles north. I end up spending too much time on the roads around my house.

Daydreamer1

I make sure that the road used for the Hershey Hillclimb on my property is plowed so that I can run on that instead of the roads when are full of snow.

Is that one of the roads that they put the Christmas Light display on?

Not sure if I ever asked you this or not, but do they still have a mountain bike race over there off of boat house road?  At one time it was a fairly big race, but that's been quite a few years ago.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Where do you South-Central PA guys read your temperatures?? When I left for work this morning (5 a.m.) it was a whopping -4 degrees out here in the boonies of Central-Central PA, with a winchill of close to instant death. So I decided to postpone my run until the afternoon. 

I was skiing with the boys yesterday, and while in the afternoon, when they had their lessons, it was still fairly pleasant (cold, but sunny, yet with the icy particles from the snow cannons blasting into our faces, uphill on the chairlift as well as downhill on the slopes), it got freezing after sunset, and especially when the temperatures dropped into the single digits up on top. With the wind, we got our faces a little frostbitten, and at 8 p.m., we finally quit. Frozen stiff, but happy.

QOTD: Central PA, mainly Rothrock State Forest and surrounding areas. Sometimes stomping in traildc's playgrounds as well.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

FTYC - How did the shoulder appointment go?

hectortrojan

I will join.

I run on flats next to water in San Francisco on weekdays and try to go to trails in Sonoma county on every other weekend or so. I go to Marin Headlands once in a while.

I probably will go for an hour in the afternoon today.

LB2

Running later, probably 5 with the doggy.  I just signed up for a 10 miler on March 21st. It feels great to be signed up for a race, even if it is a short one. I pushed the guy to do this race a few years ago in national forest (Equinox 10 miler, 50K, and 50M), but it normally coincides with our opening day of turkey season. As such, I have not yet run it. But this year, the season opens on March 27th, so I am in with a free entry for volunteering at an earlier race.

QOTD: Trails and country roads in SW Mississippi and SE Louisiana with occasional forays to Utah, Alabama, TX, and New Mexico.

LB2

muppy

Welcome Hectortrojan!

Is that one of the roads that they put the Christmas Light display on?

Not sure if I ever asked you this or not, but do they still have a mountain bike race over there off of boat house road?  At one time it was a fairly big race, but that's been quite a few years ago.

That's the same roads , but I don't ever remember having a mountain bike race around here.