Trailer Trash

New job Friday (Read 29 times)

Gator eye

I've been gone awhile so I'll start again.

Took a rest day today, my foot feels ok but I don't want to push the issue so here I sit rolling it out again.

I'm job jumping again, after 20 years at the same place and getting thrown under the bus and left out in the street I'm on my 4th job in two years. At one place I didn't make it two days before I picked up my marbles and went home. I just don't feel the loyalty I once had for my old job and when something better or what I feel is better I move along hoping the new job will make me feel more comfortable.

My new job is less money which is real scary, better benefits, less work time, about a two hours less driving time a day, with no responsibility.

QOTD: How about you, have you ever went through a streak of job jumping?

Occasional Runner

There's about 3 feet of snow on the trails, so I've been running the roads lately. It's not a bad thing, really. I'm sorta tapering anyway.

QOTD: When I got laid off 2 years ago, I started and quit 2 jobs in 6 weeks before ending up at the job I have now. It's a huge part of your life, so you need to find a place that makes you happy.

XtremeTaper

Planning on 7 or 8 miles on the roads today from the house but leaning towards my new route which is a mix of road and trails. I hit my mileage goal already for the year so the rest of the month is bonus mile time.

QOTD: I have been in the same job since 1989. Well, technically I do not do the same work, even work for the same company, but through a series of mergers, acquisitions, and other such nonsense have just moved along doing what I do, hospital IT and support.

GatorEye - You've never heard of vitamin I, Ibuprofen? Both times that I had PF and got serious about dealing with it I went on 2-3 week program of therapeutic vitamin I to get the ball rolling. It seemed to help both times. LOL, my wife suggested it to me once so I'd stop whining about not running, and a PT dude later. He was sort of hush hush about it. Therapeutic meaning steady doses 2-3 times a day, eventually weaning the dose as time goes along.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning folks,

I started my day with a hike up the mountain behind the house, then

went into the park for some road miles. It occurred to me that I haven't

run on the road in months, it felt great, and my NB 1400's are still in good

shape.

QOTD: I was with the same company for 20 years, then another one for

5 years, and since then I've had 5 jobs lasting from 6 weeks to 8 months.

When I was leaving the CG I took a transition class and the instructor said

that he'd been at 9 jobs since he retired 5 years earlier. I remember thinking

that was incredible; now not so incredible.

Daydreamer1

Yesterday's "run" ended up being a split session on the bike trainer and elliptical. 30 minutes on each, but I made it a hard 30 minutes, especially on the bike.  Nothing for today since I'm at work.

QOTD: The shortest time I was at a job was 5 months. Currently been with one employer for 18 years.  12 1/2 years on a full time basis, the remainder on a as needed basis.  Current full time job has been for the past 5+ years.  Anything over 10 years at one place and I get bored. In general I'm bored and frustrated with my current career field and would love to move on. The problem is that I can't really replicate the pay, benefits, and schedule that I have in this field.   I keep hearing that employees, especially the younger ones, don't have much loyalty to employers. Can't say I blame anyone for being quick to walk out and find something else.  Anymore the management teams treat the employees like crap.

LB2

I had a weird dream last night and woke up at 2:20 AM. Then, I remembered there was one place I didn't look for my work keys that I lost two days ago. Sure enough, they had slipped between the seats in my truck, problem solved. I drank some coffee and did a 5 mile fartlek workout through the woods. It was about 35 this morning, but there was quite a bit of moisture in the air.

QOTD: When I got divorced, I managed to pay off almost everything I owed, which freed up quite a bit of money. I decided to quit my job as an English teacher and do something else, anything else. I took a job as a salesman for a marinade company. It was pretty fun, but it was run by one guy who just basically screwed everybody when it came to money, total douche'. I sold the hell out of marinade, though. He ended up having to sell the company, squandered that money, etc. Anyway, a bunch of us got laid off just prior to the sell, so I found a great job at Honeywell, very good money, very good benefits, and it required very little thinking. You just went to work; did your job and went home, which is what I thought I wanted. Nope. I need to be a little more engaged in what is going on. I would have hung around there for a lot longer, but I was called and offered a chance to get back into education at our local technical college for less money. It was a mile from my house, and once I figured in the gas and wear and tear, I figured I could swing it. Plus, it allowed me a chance to go to graduate school. I took it, and things have been pretty good for the most part. However, just yesterday, I put in a application with the Office of the Governor. We'll see what happens with that. I am on my last year as mayor in this little town, but I do like being involved in governmental affairs. So, if it works out, I wouldn't mind driving to Baton Rouge everyday. If not, I have a pretty good gig here.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today. Flying out later tonight. We have more running clothes packed then real clothes. I think DW and I have a running problem.

Good luck to nay racers and pacers this weekend.

QOTD:  Been in practice for 27 years now. If I changed jobs, it would be to teach or I'd hit the lecture circuit doing Continuing Medical Education where I have a talk on diabetic neuropathy (sounds like a real snoozer, I know).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Now, I am getting ads concerning new jobs. I guess that is better than when I was talking about my old girlfriend, Sum. Yung. Ho. I had all sorts of interesting ads after that.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

My cold has moved to my chest and I am hacking  a lot so I took that as an excuse to take the day off.  It doesn't help that my 2 dogs pushed me out of my bed so I spelt on the couch.  I do have stuff for noon run; we shall see since I am feeling better.  Something about laying down when you have a cold makes it worse in the morning.

QOTD:  I left a good job 9 years ago to move to a beautiful place.  I am doing the same thing and thought I was in line to be promoted but didn't get it.  So now I am less than 2 years from retirement so just hanging in doing my job but not giving a shit about it anymore.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A nice run last night on wet roads,a bit foggy, more people out driving than normal.  I felt like I was playing dodge 'em.

QOTD: I just changed jobs this week, well not really.  I am at the same place but got a promotion.  Same department.  Been here for 7+ years.  I will change once my PhD is done and I can find a nice cushy f/t teaching gig. But I have had a few different roles within the world of mental health/drug & alcohol over the years.  It's somewhat normal.  I changed jobs due to some places closing and my last change due to finances (needing better medical coverage).  I am a loyal person and hated every time I changed but it happens.  My dad, on the other hand, worked for the same place his entire career.  Very admirable.

Have a great weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My cold has moved to my chest and I am hacking  a lot so I took that as an excuse to take the day off.  It doesn't help that my 2 dogs pushed me out of my bed so I spelt on the couch.  I do have stuff for noon run; we shall see since I am feeling better.  Something about laying down when you have a cold makes it worse in the morning.

Oh thank God! I needed a day off.  Six in a row is not usual for me but I need to catch up.

On a serious note, hope you feel better soon!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Heading out for 4 or 5 miles shortly.  I've spent today trying to convince DH that this dog I found in Indiana is perfect for us to adopt.  But I don't know if they'll adopt out of state, so there's also that.  I figure I gave him kids, so why not a pup for me?  I'm getting there, though it seems to be at a glacial pace.  

qotd:  Interesting question today!  Well, I stepped out of the job force 2 years ago when the non-profit I worked for almost went under and laid off everyone.  Before then, I had worked for another group for 13 years.  I plan to start looking more seriously after the holidays-- I'm restless and miss working.  But this has given me a new perspective since I used to work and travel a lot previously that I don't care or need as much $, but the benefits and flexibility and leaving work responsibilities behind at the end of the work day are more important to me now.

NHLA

5  miles this morning 3 miles this afternoon.  Foot is OK. This time when I got PF I tried rest and it seems to have worked.

qotd  lost great job in 2009.Working for a good company now but less money.

hectortrojan

I am averaging a little over 7 hours/week over last 3 months and I did 10-11 hours/week last two weeks. I was supposed to take the day off today, but I did not realize it till I got back from the run. I ran a little over an hour.

Gator eye - Congratulations and I hope you like the job that you took.

QOTD - I think jobs are not secure in the field(IT contracting) that I work in and I see more turnover than I like around me. This is my 4th (may be 2nd as I worked at company A, then at company B, then at company A, and now at company B) job in last 8+ years and I am here for 4+ years.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

11 miles up and down and over the mountains. It was cold, and after 8 miles, I ran out of food and bonked. I had no idea how I could make it back to the car, but I just kept going, if slowly, always forward on my own two feet, and recovered after about 2 miles uphill. The last downhill was good, and all in all, it was still a speedy run. Go figure.

Thanks everybody for your encouragement yesterday. I'll have some words with my bosses tomorrow.

Added another year to my lifetime total today, and it was fun. I got a new car, a Lambourghini (from the kids, for $.89 - thanks HotWheels!), and other nice stuff to keep me warm. Just what I needed today after the cold run.

DD made me a very special birthday cake, with a gluten free donut, and a rose made out of frosting that she took from the "normal" cake for the family. Very cute and tasty!

QOTD: Lots of interesting stories here.

I have been out of my "real" job for almost 10 years now, first being a stay-at-home mom, and now job jumping on "instant money" jobs. Just recently changed to fulltime to get more money with almost no increase in hours, but it's not working out so well. I'll see how this continues.

Right now I'm looking with more serious effort to get back into my field of expertise (material science).

In my previous "real" job, I was fairly steady, even though I had only 3-year contracts while doing my Masters, PhD and post-doctoral work. After that, I stayed with the same employer for several years, then changed, and since then have been - except for my time as fulltime mom - jumping between different positions, usually for 1-3 years duration. I prefer steady, but sometimes, when new opportunities are there, it is worth giving it a try, even if things don't stay steady then for a while.

Run for fun.