Trailer Trash

Manic Monday (Read 30 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I didn't run over the weekend like I planned.  After my run Saturday morning I have felt a pain in my right heel. It feels eerily like the beginning of an injury I had in 2012 (that last a long time and many PT appts).   I don't know for sure if that is what it is but as a result I am being a bit cautious without abandoning running altogether.  So no run yesterday and none today.  I did go to the gym this morning though.  I was planning on getting in a nice long trail run this weekend but we'll see how it's feeling.  (btw - Muppy - are you sweeping for Don at Chonococheague this Sat.? this is what I am considering running).

QOTD: based on all the recent race reports where weather conditions seem to play a part in some less than expected runs, are there any weather conditions that would stop you from running a race (or scheduled long run)?

For me, it depends on the length of the race.  If it was a short race (5k or similar) and it was super hot n humid, I might still run it.  I am not sure about a long race.  I know I would do terrible if high humidity was at play but if I signed up and payed for a race then it's hard not to at least try it.  This is why spring and fall races are best IMO.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

some call me Tim

SRD today, and boy do I need it... legs are fine, I'm just exhausted. Oh, wait, RD fail. Just remembered I signed up for a mud run tonight. They pour barrels of water on a trail and then set a bunch of local XC kids loose. Anyway, it should be fun and it's only 6k.

Jamie, sorry to hear that and I hope it's a soft tissue thing that can be resolved. Maybe working on the areas around the heel (plantar fascia, tibialis tendons, etc) will help relieve it a little.

qotd: If it was a goal race, anything heat related would just cause me to drastically change my expectations (though I suppose there's a limit to this) but I'd bag it for a blizzard.

LB2

SRD.

QOTD: I don't sign up for summer races. However, sometimes the weather down south is hot and humid well into the fall. Of course, there are exceptions for every rule. Last year, I did sign up for a fat ass 50 miler in mid-September. I knew that there was a good chance it would be quite hot, but I knew I needed a good, long run 6 to 8 weeks out from a 100. I think the high that day was 95, and we had about 15 people signed up for the 50 miler and another dozen or more for the 50K, which was run concurrently. I was the only person who finished the 50 miler. Everyone else either dropped to the 50K or just quit. I adjusted my pace as the day heated up while others were still trying to push it. I watched them drop like flies. So, rather than miss something I signed up for, I'll make appropriate adjustments if I find myself in a situation where the weather is not in my favor. I don't like hot and humid; but I have learned to deal with it when I have to.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Not feeling too bad after yesterday's race but at most a 5 dog jog with the Lady this evening but I just walking instead.

QOTD: Depends on the distance like you say. I've ran 20-30k races in the dreaded triple H of the northeast summer (95+, heat haze humidity) and 0 degree/negative windchill in shorter races in the winter. I would not like to race long in single digits or 100+ degrees. I try not sign up for anything where those conditions are highly probable.

Mr Jamie - Onset of plantar fasciitis? Stretch that foot, do heel raises, etc.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

HI all, no running today for me, it's a rest/travel day.

qotd:  a blizzard.  I can't really avoid heat and humidity, and the distances I'm racing (HM or less), it's less an issue since you're only out there for an hour or two tops.  But sub-zero cold, limited visibility, dangerous wind chills and pounding snow.  Don't want to mess with that.

have a good day!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamie, sorry to hear that and I hope it's a soft tissue thing that can be resolved. Maybe working on the areas around the heel (plantar fascia, tibialis tendons, etc) will help relieve it a little.

What I dealt with in 2012+ was diagnosed as tibialis tendinitis (or something along those lines).  It feels a bit like that or the initial stages of it.  I have never had PF but who knows.   I haven't even been running a lot.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

muppy

6.1 miles on my hill route last night.

Jamie,   Unfortunately  it's a bad weekends or me, so I'm not helping at Don's Ron.

I had tibial tendinitis a few years ago also.  Sometimes it will start hurting and then it gets better with a rest day or two.  I hope yours gets better soon!

QOTD  I work outside 50 to 60 hours a week so I'm pretty acclimated to the heat,  but I do not like it!  I probably would not change my racing plans for the weather.If I remember correctly my first 50 K at the Dirty German the temperature was in the low 90s with the dewpoint in the low 70s so I just went even slower than my normal slow self and had a great time.

LB2

I have never had PF but who knows.   I haven't even been running a lot.

I've had it (I think). You don't want it. However, if you get on top of it pretty quickly, it is a fairly easy fix. It was for me, at least. I think stretching and toe raises and maybe even rolling a frozen water bottle might be helpful. I have also had great luck with KT Tape. I think some people probably roll their eyes when I say (or type) that, but I had a PT show me how to tape it. Later, I found the method on YouTube. Anyway, once I put the tape on it, I was able to run with it. I can't say for sure that it was actually PF, but I had all the classic symptoms. I never went to the doctor.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Heading out for a few miles in the sun before the "cold front" hits.

Jamie: I agree, gentle stretching is always a good thing. Hope it won't develop into something fierce and ugly.

QOTD: So far, I haven't withdrawn from races because of weather, but I do try to sign up for races where I can reasonably hope that the weather will be moderate, mostly spring and fall races. I like running in the heat to some degree, but above 95 degrees, my limits are pretty much met. I have not tried a winter 100-miler so far because I am not sure how to handle the wet clothes together with the cold temperatures (significantly below freezing) for such a long period. Lightning at the start could possibly prevent me from starting a race, depending on how heavy and frequent the bolts strike.

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Just crawled out of bed. Had a busy day at work yesterday. Two ambulance companies who's territories border our zones decided they couldn't find staff to fill their shifts for the entire weekend so they basically shut   down for two whole days , so we had to cover their zones without extra staff . Fortunately it didn't get really crazy but bad enough we were on the go most of the time.

Planning on a 7.4 mile road loop around the house later this evening after I work some on my shed roof. This damn project is taking too long to complete.

Jamie - Sounds kind of like what I had. I lost about two weeks of good training from it. Still a little sore at times. For the first week I couldn't run, then when I started again it would feel better after my long runs. I'm hoping it's not PF or a bone spur.

QOTD: At first I was going to say no, or only if there was a hurricane or something like that coming through. For high heat and humidity I'd just plan on hiking and trying to simply beat any time cut offs. Then I remembered that I did have a DNS this past February. I was going to do a 34 or 50K race in southern Maryland  and they got hit with 8-9 inches of snow several days before the race. I was looking for a early season race on mostly decent trails, so I wasn't in the mood to run in those conditions in a area that rarely sees that type of snow. I felt kind of like a wimp until I saw that there was one of the top PA ultra runners from the northern part of the state that didn't go down for it either.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yesterday was a pseudo trail run, i.e. on a nice groomed crushed stone trail at VF. Today may be a RD.

QOTD: I don't think heat has ever been a factor in a DNS at a race, though I have bagged a workout if it's in the 90s and sunny. Cold, icy roads, and snow are more likely to keep me from running. TM is not an option for me.

Sunday QOTD: Vegatable fried rice

Saturday QOTD: Only race planned for the rest of the year is North Coast 24 mid-Sept.

Friday QOTD: 150, too many days off or short as I wimp out in the heat. See today's QOTD.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I am not running today but am going to the gym at noon.

QOTD:  Maybe a thunder and lightning storm which we rarely have here...blizzards would stop me too...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Probably a rest day today.

I rode the Mt. Tam Century on Saturday, which went well ... I loosened up and only dealt with some cramping near the end due to the lack of training. 5:43 riding time for about 97 miles and 7500 feet of climbing. Sunday I ran about 4.5 ... slow and steady, but that is harder on my ankle -- a necessary part of rehab, I am told.

QOTD: Dangerous wind/lightning? For training, any super %$#^ weather might do it

NHLA

Twisted foot yesterday. One million roots and rocks per mile.

QOTD  I have had two races canceled for Ice storms but ran them later in spring.

some call me Tim

I've never had it get bad on me, but fwiw I swear by just getting on top of a lacrosse ball with the areas up and downstream of the problem... think about where that tendon attaches/inserts and work the areas close to those points rather than where it's tender, just 5-10 mins at a time. Usually takes a couple of days to make significant change if you're at the point where you're having a problem. Hunt around a little, find the tough spots and work across them.. if that's too much just hang out there and contract/relax into them. If that's the issue and you can ease the tightness in the soft tissue, the problem might just disappear. No promises, but I've gotten an awful lot of mileage out of this. My best friend is an old green lacrosse ball...

What I dealt with in 2012+ was diagnosed as tibialis tendinitis (or something along those lines).  It feels a bit like that or the initial stages of it.  I have never had PF but who knows.   I haven't even been running a lot.