Trailer Trash

Fridaily (Read 21 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Started the Doxy last night for my Lyme.  Had my 4th night of night sweats, so hopefully those will stop soon. Now I know how DW felt with those hot flashes. 

Plan is to try and do 16 tomorrow on the C&O, around the Brunswick area. I'm going to run nice and easy (ie. my current pace) and might even wear my Garmin to make sure I start slow.  Doc said I could run, as long as I felt fine (and he knows how far I like to run).

QOTD: LB had a post on FB about trail etiquette. What drives, or has driven, you crazy on the trail, either in a race or just on a run?  External music playing is #1 on my pet peeves.  Last weekend I passed a woman who was streaming Z104 out of NY with the volume up pretty high. Not even good music, and way too loud.  DW passed her later on. If you want to listen to music, use ear buds and keep it low enough so you can hear someone say "passing on your left".

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I hope your recovery goes well, AT!

Snow, Snow everywhere. I don’t like it any more. Still getting ready to head out for a few miles. Maybe it will turn into a fun time 

QOTD: I can’t really remember anything that really bothered me beyond being annoyed on a trail? Flies and gnats maybe. And knee-deep footprints on snow-covered, ice-glazed trail. Yes, these really made me mad. Several footprints side by side, so there was no way to avoid them, until I turned off onto another trail. Same on the way back. 

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

I did not run yesterday, might take today off too. Feeling in a funk from the weather, also tired, maybe a cold bug has hit me. So we'll see. Not training for anything so no big whoop. Will get over to the gym later for the usual nonsense.

QOTD: I am pretty easy going but different things bother me and not always. The last time I really remember being annoyed on the trail (other than at myself for being so slow) was at Mohican last year. In the first loop several runners just latched on behind me and yacked it up about their upcoming race scheduled. Just focus on this race you idiots or pass me so I don't have to hear your stupid talk!! Haha. Curmudgeon.

Couch - Frozen footprints. I think the trails here are probably like right now with the wet snow from the other day being trampled upon and refreezing. I don't like that sort of surface either.

AT - Sorry about the Lyme, but at least you have a root cause. Hope things clear up soon.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Ugh, really sorry to hear about your Lyme diagnosis, AT.    I hope the doxy works quickly and you don't have any further issues.

I got nothing today.  I bought DBF and I a bouldering crash pad as an early anniversary present so we can climb outside.  Now the weather just needs to get nice.  (Yeah, right.)

QOTD:  Unnecessary cairns.  We knock them over constantly.  Cairns are supposed to be for navigation, not for your amusement.  These seem to be more prevalent out West.  I can't even begin to tell you how many we kicked over in Sedona.  We dubbed them environmental graffiti.

External speakers.  Holy crap, do those piss me off.  Everywhere.  On the trail, on your bike, at your campsite, at a park, everywhere.  I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR DAMN MUSIC.  Noise pollution.

Every year, some idiots use the rail to trail too early in the season and leave deep ruts that last all year long.  I am much more tolerant about people being out on singletrack in the spring when it's mucky and wet because it gets stomped down easily and quickly and the damage is smoothed over and doesn't last.  But a bunch of fuckers go on the rail to trail with their bikes or whatever and cause massive damage and it never goes away.  And it's not fun riding your bike on a trail that's so soft and soggy that you're going 5mph.  I don't understand.

Litter, of course.

I hate people.  I guess I needed to rant.

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

Taking another rest day or three. Last night as I was running a fast paced tempo 10k my right calf just suddenly tightened up with some cramp like pain too at about 38 minutes in. Just shut it down and walked in from there and today I can still feel some tightness. Maybe just dehydrated or a signal that I have been overtraining--not sure but I don't think it's anything that a few days off or real easy won't fix.

Packing things up to head out to the Florida gulf coast early tomorrow. It was gonna be just some easy beach runs over the next week so the timing is good from an injury perspective.

QOTD--Well it doesn't drive me crazy, it's more comical but I am amazed at the walkers coming towards me on the trail that never are looking around. They just stare at the ground as they walk and almost run into me and then I'll say boo! and they have a heart attack. It happens quite often.

QOTD: I am pretty easy going but different things bother me and not always. The last time I really remember being annoyed on the trail (other than at myself for being so slow) was at Mohican last year. In the first loop several runners just latched on behind me and yacked it up about their upcoming race scheduled. Just focus on this race you idiots or pass me so I don't have to hear your stupid talk!! Haha. Curmudgeon.

Back when I entered lots of events that used to drive me crazy. Guys that would just latch on and then want to talk about themselves for miles. Good God!

NorthernHarrier

I got nothing today.  I bought DBF and I a bouldering crash pad as an early anniversary present so we can climb outside.  Now the weather just needs to get nice.  (Yeah, right.)

Cool! Where are you guys planning to climb outside?

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  Unnecessary cairns.  We knock them over constantly.  Cairns are supposed to be for navigation, not for your amusement.  These seem to be more prevalent out West.  I can't even begin to tell you how many we kicked over in Sedona.  We dubbed them environmental graffiti.

I hate people.  I guess I needed to rant.

1) Huge problem with cairns on the AT.  I knock them over whenever I see them. "Leave No Trace" has lost it's meaning for some people. The FB AT pages always bring cairns up and reminds people not to do them and to take them down if you see them. Follow the fricking White Blazes. They're every 50' if you just look for them.

2) Maybe Dr. Jamie will stop in and help you with that one. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Mandy - Excellent rant! +1000 for you. Now that you mention it, some of those bastards that go fishing on the shores of Green Lane lake can carry their bait, tackle, and snacks with them down the trail to the shore but can't carry the empty stuff out? They think someone is going to clean up for them? Idiots.

Harrier - That normally happens to walkers I come up on from behind. I start announcing myself but of course they don't hear me and jump up like I am Saskwatch or something out to get them. Well I do have a hairy back. Have fun in FL. I timed my trip wrong again this year. It was warm here when I was down there now it's cold here again.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

runtraildc

Just returned from a slow and easy 7.5 miles. Mostly along the creek on the paved trail. Windy, but nice morning out there. Got in 3.5 yesterday afternoon.

AT- sorry about the Lyme, but glad to hear you have a diagnosis. I hope the healing goes well

Couch- We don't have snow, but I'm over winter. Another week of freezing nights and 40s are forecast, but I keep reminding myself that spring is almost here.

qotd: This.

External speakers.  Holy crap, do those piss me off.  Everywhere.  On the trail, on your bike, at your campsite, at a park, everywhere.  I DON'T WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR DAMN MUSIC.  Noise pollution.

LB2

I ran 3 yesterday and 2 this morning.

QOTD: What drives me crazy one day may not even bother me another day. It all depends on where my mind is at the time. At times, the old "Good work" comment may piss me off. I can't stand external speakers, though.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Cool! Where are you guys planning to climb outside?

Gov Dodge and Devil's Lake, I imagine.  Those are supposed to be the prime bouldering spots.  No external speakers will be used. 

Running is dumb.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I bought DBF and I a bouldering crash pad as an early anniversary present so we can climb outside.  

Are you sure you bought it for him. 

Harrier - When my calf suddenly tightened up, it turned out to be my achilles acting up.  I was perplexed at first, because there was no reason for my calf to feel like that on an easy run.  But just taking it easy and staying away from the hard stuff for a while cleared it up.  Enjoy your trip!  I'm jealous.

Got 6+ hilly in last night.  Will go for 4 easy tonight.

QOTD:  I'm with FTYC, nothing that really irks me beyond just an eye roll every now and then.  But I don't usually encounter a lot of people on trails anyway.  RE: speakers.  The funny thing is that I'll sometimes hear mountain bikers playing them, which I don't mind because I can hear them coming, get out of the way, and they're quickly gone.  I guess playing chicken with someone coming in the opposite direction on singletrack, but at worst, it ends in a laugh.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Met with the group this morning..I lead the group and promised it would be a slow run since I was on vacation for 10 days.  We ran 11.50 minute miles (fast for us ) and on the hill up I was dying.  The dogs were all happy.  Appears while I was gone we got a lot of snow so folks hadn't been running much either.

QOTD:  External music is a given...second folks running 2, 3 or 4 wide without being aware that someone is behind them try to pass.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

What an evening yesterday!  40 degrees, no wind and while we were in 2 feet of snow- the trails were packed pretty nicely- 4-ish miles for Tiny E and I.

strength training this evening

Taking DW and Tiny E for a snowshoe/overnighter, should be fun

qotd: I rarely see anyone, which is good because I’m not shy about telling someone they’re being a dick- have never bumped into anyone with external speakers luckily

I do see occasionally plastic poop bags laying by the trail, and not “I’ll get them on the way out” ones, ones that are full of dog shit and just left?  WTF better off just leaving the shit there than putting it in a plastic sack!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Started out to run today and nearly got blown backward by a gust. Decided it was a good day to turn around and take it easy.

qotd: Generally have no problems with people or dogs, or horses for that matter, on the trails. The one notable exception are Boy Scout troops who tend to clog the trail and be oblivious to anyone trying to get past 20-30 kids plus the scout masters.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.