Trailer Trash

Ring Ring Thursdailies (Read 21 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Last night's 8 miles on hard trail was brutal in the heat.  Almost felt like I've never run before, but got it done.  Easy 4 on trail tonight after work.

QOTD:  When you run or do any outdoorsy stuff, do you wear your wedding ring (provided you're married) or any other rings for that matter?

I'm paranoid that it will fall off somewhere and never to be found again, so I always take it off.  Even going to the cabin on weekends, I'll just leave it home.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did not run last night.  Too tired.  I can justify that I am in taper mode - (whatever that means!!!) 

Bert - I will echo what the others said yesterday about JFK vs. Stone Mill.  SM is definitely a true trail race as 95% is trail.  JFK, as AT said, not so much.  But it's the cost that is my deciding factor.  You cannot beat the cost of SM - and the volunteers are the best (right DC?!?!?).  A couple of the aid stations have been known to serve some liquor.    Weather has always been great - cool but not ridiculously cold.  Hopefully I did not just jinx it.

QOTD: I do not take mine off.  On a cold day, my wedding band is loose but when warm it is tight.  In cold weather I wear gloves anyways when running.  I have only ever lost my band once in 17 years.  It was lost for 2 months and I found it in the back of our van when I was cleaning it out.  I had no idea it might even be in the van which is why I never purposely looked in there.  Funny that DW took her rings off this year when we went to the beach just last week.  She never did before but her friend cautioned her that rings are easy to loose in the waves.  So she removed them.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

4 very warm miles on the trails with Tiny E yesterday evening- it appears he dislikes the heat as much as I do ; DW is meeting a few friends this morning for a hike, so Elvis won’t have to go this evening, but I plan to

qotd: I wear mine year round (I went to a titanium ring about 5 years ago); I did lose mine goose hunting the very first year we were married. I felt it come off brushing my pants off, but for the life of me couldn’t find it. Six months later my father-in-law went back with a metal detector and found it- it slid into a small crack in the soil and was 3-4” underground!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Good morning all, a bit of a funk here lately, a rut perhaps but I am snapping out of it. I ran a pair of 7's this week so far, including 7 last night on the hills of Coventry Woods. Warm this week, but normal summer warm around 88-90 and not suffocating like last week. Run last night was fairly decent, 76 minutes for the loop, felt pretty good overall. Bugs are starting to let up too. Oh, and picked up a steal on a pair of Innov8 Roclites for $49 at the LRS. Went in to get a new pair of Altra Timps but he had to order them, but found these on the discount table. Too cheap to pass up, and I've ran in these before. Always good to mix it up.

QOTD: I always have my wedding band on. I forget that it's there for the most part.

Berto - JFK is a 50 miler you want to run if you want to go for a fast time. It's sort of an interesting combo, AT trail, marathon on the towpath, hilly/rolling road finish. My best executed race ever back in 2007 and my fastest 50 miler (7:37). It's hard for me to diss JFK for that reason, but the price seems outrageous. I guess it was less then $100 when I ran it.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

GC100k

Decided to get some work done today before running. I've been slow getting going on work after running in the mornings lately, so thought I'd switch it up. Gorgeous cool day so an afternoon run should be fine.

I'm targeting the Stone Mill 50. I've never done more than 50k, so it'd probably be good to do the Trails4Tails 40 mile in September for prep, but I might want to take a shot at Steamtown Marathon in October.

QOTD: I haven't had my wedding ring off in years. Can I get it off? (checks) Yep, okay. I had to get it cut off maybe 10 or 15 years ago when I got too fat for awhile, but never really think about it these days.

runtraildc

I'm seriously in a funk, all exercise-wise. This morning was perfect for summer running here, but nope, did not run after I dropped the kiddo at the pool. Went home to finish my coffee instead. Did get to the gym yesterday for a short treadmill run and strength training. I'll get out tonight, I promise.

They absolutely are the best. hands down. Especially those folks around mile 17. Usually no liquor at ours, but probably because it's still early in the race.

I did not run last night.  Too tired.  I can justify that I am in taper mode - (whatever that means!!!) 

Bert - I will echo what the others said yesterday about JFK vs. Stone Mill.  SM is definitely a true trail race as 95% is trail.  JFK, as AT said, not so much.  But it's the cost that is my deciding factor.  You cannot beat the cost of SM - and the volunteers are the best (right DC?!?!?).  A couple of the aid stations have been known to serve some liquor.    Weather has always been great - cool but not ridiculously cold.  Hopefully I did not just jinx it.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Well then, I guess I'll have to sign up for Stone Mill to see what (or who) is so special about the mile 17 aid station.   Thanks for all the feedback!

XT - Wow, that's a fast time at JFK!  Nice shoe deal find too.  Hope you escape that funk soon.

warden - Sounds like FIL wanted to make sure you kept your vows with his daughter.   But yeah, that's the type of situation I'm too worried about.

Sounds like there might be a Trailer Trash race this fall at Stone Mill????

3/17 - NYC Half

AT-runner

Tim

Almost feel guilty in saying I had a great run today.  Sounds like a lot of "summer running funk" going on.

Ran 10+ miles on some nice single track and a short bit on the AT.  Started with a downhill section and maybe that's why I felt so good.  Some really good elevation with 2 very steep hands-on-knees climbs.  Saw the backside of a bear.  He was running away from me in the brush by the time I saw him. Must have been pretty big since the saplings were all bending out of his way.

XT - nice score.  I'm running most of the time in Inov8 Trailroc 270's.  Love them for the rocky trails.  Wear Altra Lone Peak for non-technical stuff and Hoka Cliftons for road.

QOTD:  Never take mine off.  I wear a wedding band on my left hand and I have an Irish Anniversary ring on my right hand that DW bought me when we were in Ireland for our 5th (27 years ago) anniversary.  The Irish band says Gaol, Cairdeas, Dilseachd, for Love, Friendship, Loyalty.  I take the right ring off to play golf, but otherwise it's also always on.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

XT - nice score.  I'm running most of the time in Inov8 Trailroc 270's.  Love them for the rocky trails.  Wear Altra Lone Peak for non-technical stuff and Hoka Cliftons for road.

Which Cliftons? I have Hoka Napali, which is supposedly a stopgap re-release of the Clifton 3 since Clifton 4 was universally panned as being too hard and stiff. They're advertising the Clifton 5 as being marshmallowy, but I haven't seen anything about whether it is softer or not.

AT-runner

Tim

Which Cliftons? I have Hoka Napali, which is supposedly a stopgap re-release of the Clifton 3 since Clifton 4 was universally panned as being too hard and stiff. They're advertising the Clifton 5 as being marshmallowy, but I haven't seen anything about whether it is softer or not.

I have the 4's and think there are fine. I started with the 3's.  I don't like shoes too soft.  I used to wear Altra Olympus for road, but they broke down too quickly, and the sizing was always different.  Clifton 4's feel about the same cushion as the Olympus, to me.

The 4's are on sale for around $89 now.

GC100k

I have the 4's and think there are fine. I started with the 3's.  I don't like shoes too soft.  I used to wear Altra Olympus for road, but they broke down too quickly, and the sizing was always different.  Clifton 4's feel about the same cushion as the Olympus, to me.

The 4's are on sale for around $89 now.

Thanks. I like the Napali a whole lot, but when I try to run hard they seem a bit too squishy for my 260 lbs. I'm thinking a little firmer ("responsive") might actually be a better marathon shoe. I have some Bondi 4 that have 700 miles on them and seem pretty good still, but the last couple times I wore them my pinky toes hurt and I think they're squished to the outside like all my shoes eventually do. The Bondi 6 has been out for about a week but the Bondi 5 hasn't gone down in price yet. I'll see how much they drop and maybe get some Bondi 5 for the road running, I love those on downhills, and get some Clifton 4s in a couple months.

Ultra Cowboy

Last night's 8 miles on hard trail was brutal in the heat.  Almost felt like I've never run before, but got it done.  Easy 4 on trail tonight after work.

QOTD:  When you run or do any outdoorsy stuff, do you wear your wedding ring (provided you're married) or any other rings for that matter?

I'm paranoid that it will fall off somewhere and never to be found again, so I always take it off.  Even going to the cabin on weekends, I'll just leave it home.

After a few years I built up a pretty good callus and had a noticeable groove that held in my ring.  I wore it every day from January 1996 until March of 2016.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Queen of Nothing

Sue

So kinda cool morning...my parents friend is hiking the PCT by sections.  He's been out there about a month.  So now he is coming through my area.  His wife started forwarding his location check ins.  Unlike Warden's when doing Bob , Dick (no really that's his name!)  he only checks in where he sleeps and than later in the day checks in again.  Tuesday night he was sleeping on the trail I just hiked.  So I thought hmm he either is going to cross hwy49 Weds or early Thursday so I ask Gaila to let me know when he checks in again.  So at 9 PM she sends me his "sleeping here" text. It appears to be about 5 miles from the hwy.  She says he gets up and going around 5:30.  So I got up at 4:30 hit the gas station and bought a couple of sandwiches,  dounuts and milk. (I know gas station food but nothing was opened and I had nothing in the house!)

It's a twisty windy 60 mile drive that takes about  hour and half to get there.  I start walking down the trail with my dogs and decide I will walk until 7:10 and than turn around.  Well at 7:08 who do I see but Dick.    He was pretty excited to see me.  We went to breakfast and off he went.

No run.

QOTD:  I never take it off.  I just have a band so it's never a problem.

Berto:  Is that what you tell your wife? 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, tree, outdoor and nature

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sue - Very cool!!!  And wow, a rendezvous with just a couple minutes to spare.  Also, I'll often take the ring off when I'm at home too.  With DW around, I don't need the ring to remind me that I'm married. 

3/17 - NYC Half

AT-runner

Tim

Donuts and Dick. With a set up like that, where's Warden when we need him. 

On a serious note, that pretty cool. I'm sure your visit  really got him charged up for hiking the next couple of days.