Trailer Trash

Icy Sundailies (Read 36 times)

Marley saw the freezing rain and elected to stay home. I did a brisk 3 mile trail run, fired one of my cannons a few times, and drove home on the then icy roads. It was a pretty dicey drive, made worse because the road I planned to use was closed to clean up an accident. I had to go up a very twisty, steep, and icy road. The balance between maintaining momentum and ability to make the curves was pretty critical and required a light touch. I was glad to be home Smile

QOTD:  Those of you who drive to your regular runs, how bad can the roads be before you bail on running.  I'll go when it is pretty bad as long as I think I can get in and out of the parking at the trail head.  That said I do sometimes delay my run to wait for better road conditions later in the day.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

runtraildc

Good morning!  I had the same mindset as Marley this morning-- saw the freezing rain and stayed inside.  I'll wait until later today to get out once it warms up a little.  I don't mess with ice.

qotd:  Most of the time, I run from the front door or the pool during swim practices, so I'm not usually thinking about a drive.  That said, I have 3 different trail systems within a 10 minute drive that are easily accessible, even in weather.  I try to avoid driving in bad weather in DC, though, because of the other drivers.  Where I lived the first half of my life, bad winter weather was the norm and you just dealt with it.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

I bailed on my plans to get some trail miles in today...see QOTD.

QOTD: I'm about 30 mins to any decent trail.  I bailed out today because I didn't want to deal with the drive there and back.  Both the amount of time and the road conditions definitely factor in to whether I'm running sidewalks or trails.

**Ask me about streaking**

Sandy-2

Did 10 miles this morning.  At the start it was 65* and raining.  Felt nice.  Then with abut a mile to go the wind shifted 180 deg and the temp instantly dropped 15 deg.  We're going down to 25* tonight. (Note to self: gotta go wrap the pipes.)

I signed up for Big Horn 100 mile (June 20, Dayton, WY) this morning.  My next qualifier for Hardrock.

qotd: I hardly ever drive to a run, but if the roads are under water I probably wouldn't head out.

tbd.

LB2

I may go out for 3 to 4 today. I struggled a bit on the back in of my 20 yesterday, but I know why, which somehow makes it acceptable.

QOTD: Not an issue.

LB2

moonlightrunner

I drove to the state park today on bad roads.  Got to the trail ok ( 0600 in the am I had no other traffic to contend with). We got 4-5 inches last night, but by tomorrow it is supposed to be a foot of snow.  I headed out on the trail.  The snow was almost to my knees and I bailed after about 2.5 miles...and headed back to the car.  Felt like such a whimp when I got back to the trail head and found 5 other cars there.  It was just deep, and I did not feel up to it (having some back issues...but mostly because....I don't know).  Tried to do sprints on the way back to the car....to make it some kind of meaningful work out.  I think I will go out later to day on my local trail with The Pointer and play a bit with her as I run. Tomorrow will be all about trying to get to work.  Temps are supposed to PLUNGE...not looking forward to that. Going to the store today to buy a shovel to have in my car...just in case I end up getting stuck getting out.

qotd:  If things are really bad I will stick to my local trail which is a 10 minute drive.  It would have to be A LOT OF SNOW to prevent me from getting there...now...I may not get out of the parking lot....but I will get there.

Button up those coats and get out the gaiters New Englanders...you are getting it next...and probably worse than us.  Be safe out there everyone!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

I ran 6 miles to the gym and then did my usual core workout. The run was sluggish this morning for some reason.

Jo and I decided to take a trail running road trip this week. We're going to hit Moab first, then head to the Phoenix area where I'll preview some race courses for upcoming races, then I may work my way back home through New Mexico or Colorado and hit some trails along the way.

QOTD: I can walk to the trail from my house.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I think I've started my own new year's tradition; run the year in miles on the 1st, get a cold, take

a few days off to rest and re-set. My fall/early winter has been consistent so I'd planned on

backing off when the weather makes outdoor running too challenging. I've also been putting

off resting my foot (tendonitis), so everything is coming together nicely.

QOTD: Our local State Park is no longer being maintained; no rangers, no trash pick-up, no road

and parking lot plowing and no trail maintenance. For me is just comes down to being able to get

in and out, last year I got stuck in about 8" of snow at a trailhead.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Lace: What are you doing for a core workout? For my abs I just switched from crunch-type to

planks, which seem to make a difference based on the DOMS two days later. For lower back

I do supermans, but I'd like to work that area better.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

I ran 6 miles to the gym and then did my usual core workout. The run was sluggish this morning for some reason.

Jo and I decided to take a trail running road trip this week. We're going to hit Moab first, then head to the Phoenix area where I'll preview some race courses for upcoming races, then I may work my way back home through New Mexico or Colorado and hit some trails along the way.

QOTD: I can walk to the trail from my house.

Hit me up if you want to check out some trails in Flagstaff or Sedona on your way through.

Occasional Runner

Lace: What are you doing for a core workout? For my abs I just switched from crunch-type to

planks, which seem to make a difference based on the DOMS two days later. For lower back

I do supermans, but I'd like to work that area better.

I mix it up quite a bit. I do a wide variety of ab workouts, including crunches and planks. I focus on my abs, back, chest and shoulders in all my workouts because these are the ares that experience the most fatigue during long ultras. I think the most important thing is to include variety because there's no single "perfect" exercise for any specific muscle group.

muppy

7.3 last night, was feeling so good but ran out of time.

QOTD It's not an issue for me because anytime we get snow or ice I'm stuck at work to take care of it.

Snowdenrun

Morning!

Heading out for a hike with friend and the dog in a little bit. It'll be nice to socialize with another female as 99% of my life is spent around men.

QOTD: I am fortunate enough to be able to access a trail just around the corner of my house. I even live on a a dirt/gravel road. The furthest away trail is about 7 miles. So "bad roads" are not really an excuse I ever use.

NorthernHarrier

Got in 4 miles in the hood just now. Yup, it's cold out, at 3F with a strong northwind and the temp is falling. Probably a great day to play football. That should be interesting. I actually briefly thought about heading to the Packer game a few days ago but sanity prevailed thankfully. Family room with HD will work just fine, I think.

QOTD- not much of an issue here. Some parking areas don't get plowed out but no biggie. We don't have too much of those serpentine mountain roads around here.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

SRD today, pic from post yesterday's run

qotd: fortunate as 90+% of my trails are within walking distance, will occasionally drive for an adventurous long run

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √