Trailer Trash

Anyone following the Harvey Lewis AT FKT attempt? (Read 31 times)

GC100k

https://www.roadid.com/pages/wheresharvey

He's a few days in and a bit behind his planned schedule.

Stringbean kept his FKT pretty quiet and I somehow missed SpeedGoat and Jurek's runs until after they were past me here in central PA, but I've been watching this one and I might be out there on the trail when he goes through my area if the timing works out.

He has someone posting A LOT of updates. Some of them are like "had to do a 20 mile stretch unsupported!" and they make every step sound super hard, but I like keeping up with what's happening.

I regularly do 20 miles on the AT unsupported, so I enjoyed that one.

Are we going to have a new attempt every year now?

AT-runner

Tim

I've been following on his FB page since he started. Tracey Outlaw is doing daily updates and pictures. His dad is his main crew.

I read Scott Jureks' book, North, and it was a pretty good read. I had a chance to run with Scott for a while near South Mountain.  His book, at first, talks about all the distractions his "fans" caused but later on he realized without his "fans" he wouldn't have made it.

In a way, I'm hoping Stringbean keeps the record. He did it unsupported and without all the press and spotlight.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

GC100k

In a way, I'm hoping Stringbean keeps the record. He did it unsupported and without all the press and spotlight.

Technically it was "self-supported" not "unsupported" but it's really cool that he just went and did it.

I'm on the waiting list to get "North" from the library. I just read Eat & Run last week. I didn't read Eat & Run before because I'd thought it was only a vegan recipe book until I heard his wife talk about it on a podcast for North.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Cool, I'll have to check it out.

Heather (Anish) Anderson is currently attempting a calendar year triple crown.  Holy crap!

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Technically it was "self-supported" not "unsupported" but it's really cool that he just went and did it.

I'm on the waiting list to get "North" from the library. I just read Eat & Run last week. I didn't read Eat & Run before because I'd thought it was only a vegan recipe book until I heard his wife talk about it on a podcast for North.

Yes, I use those two interchangeably even though I know they're not the same.  If I make that mistake on a hiker forum, I'd be shot down , but  can claim I'm not alone when even the adventure writers use "unsupported".

FWIW - the unsupported AT FKT is 80 days. I can't imagine what amount of food and supplies you would need to carry at the start to make it 80 days.

LB2

I waited a long time to get that book for the exact same reason, but I was really wanting to read something. I picked it up on Amazon, and I am glad I did. I bought another one for my daughter. It was a great book, way more than a vegan cookbook.

LB2

LB2

Yes, I use those two interchangeably even though I know they're not the same.  If I make that mistake on a hiker forum, I'd be shot down , but  can claim I'm not alone when even the adventure writers use "unsupported".

FWIW - the unsupported AT FKT is 80 days. I can't imagine what amount of food and supplies you would need to carry at the start to make it 80 days.

I have no idea what the difference is...

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I have no idea what the difference is...

From the "White Blazes" Site

Supported, self-supported, unsupported? What does it mean?

• Supported means you have a dedicated support team that meets you along the way to supply whatever you need. This generally allows for the fastest, lightest trips, and for an element of camaraderie and safety, since someone knows about where you are at all times.
                  • Self-supported means that you don't carry everything you need from the start, but you don't have dedicated, pre-arranged people helping you. This is commonly done a couple different ways: You might put out stashes of supplies for yourself prior to the trip, or you might just use what's out there, such as stores, begging from other trail users, etc.
                  • Unsupported means you have no external support of any kind. Typically, this means that you must carry all your supplies right from the start, except any water that can be obtained along the way from natural sources. This approach has also been termed "alpine style". The longest trip I'm aware of using this style is Coup's 20-day thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. For most people, carrying enough food for more than a few days to one week will be prohibitive.Unsupported also means unaccompanied!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Well looks like there is no danger of anyone doing any of the Triple Crown unsupported (unless you carried a .22 and fishing pole )

I like reading about FKT’s; it is amazing how quickly many have fallen in just the last two to three years

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes it seems someone is trying to break the FKT for the AT every year now.  Good for them.  What's the harm in trying?

Not sure I will try and meet up with this guy when he passes through my area.  I don't even know who he is.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yes it seems someone is trying to break the FKT for the AT every year now.  Good for them.  What's the harm in trying?

Not sure I will try and meet up with this guy when he passes through my area.  I don't even know who he is.

Super nice guy. Runs NC24 every year and has won it a couple times. I think he holds the course record. He also has about a 5 year running streak commuting to and from the school where he teaches. He's not averse to trying extreme races. He's even run a race in the Gobi Desert.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

Thanks AT.

LB2

LB2

Well looks like there is no danger of anyone doing any of the Triple Crown unsupported (unless you carried a .22 and fishing pole )

I was thinking about that, but I wonder how that would work if you were doing it during the summer when a hunting season was not open? Or if you were hiking in the spring and the only season open was turkey season? Most states only allow turkeys to be taken with a shotgun or with archery equipment. Also, if you were thru hiking the AT, I don't know if I would want to buy a hunting license in every single state I was passing through. Obviously, the chances of getting caught are very slim, but I don't knowingly break game laws.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

mostly tongue and cheek, you’d be hard pressed to hunt/fish your way 2500 miles (especially without getting thrown in jail! )

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

GC100k

I was thinking about that, but I wonder how that would work if you were doing it during the summer when a hunting season was not open? Or if you were hiking in the spring and the only season open was turkey season? Most states only allow turkeys to be taken with a shotgun or with archery equipment. Also, if you were thru hiking the AT, I don't know if I would want to buy a hunting license in every single state I was passing through. Obviously, the chances of getting caught are very slim, but I don't knowingly break game laws.

He's won Badwater.

He is a quitter, though. He quiz Laz Lake's weird backyard run thing after only 58 hours and 242 miles and ended up second.