Trailer Trash

Windy Wednesday (Read 20 times)

LB2

I ran an easy 3 this morning.

QOTD: What is the worst fall you have ever taken on a run? And were you injured?

I have taken quite a few that were bad, but I wasn't injured. I came off a mountain into an aid station at mile 85, running faster than I should have been able to run that far into a run that long. My toe hit a rock and tripped me up. I slid, literally, into the aid station after crashing face first into a boulder. Both water bottles flew into the tables where they promptly filled them with water while I filled the air with profanities. I left the aid station with a series of "Sorry's" and "Thank you's". I did have a nasty cut on my cheek, but other than that, I was no worse for wear.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Probably run with the Beer Runners tonight.  Looks like it's a 4.5 mile loop.

QOTD:  My very first Blues Cruise 50k, I did a spectacular Superman fall right before the turnaround (before it was a lop course). It was a rocky downhill section and people (ie. faster runners) were already coming back uphill.  One guy tried to pass someone else on the uphill (making it 3 wide on a single track) and clipped my leg. I had no time to try and save it and launched down the hill. When I got back to the AS, I was there for 20 minutes getting cleaned up and was covered in blood the rest of the race.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Trail tempo last night at Coventry Woods, 7 miles on a pleasant evening. Good time for the loop but I only seemed to feel the effort on the climbs. The poor Lady had to stay at home as she was a bit gimpy the other day, but she did get a walk later in the evening with the old springer. Planet of fitness for strength routine at lunch, another 7 or 8 this evening. Might run from home on a mix of road and trails or might hit the green lane trails.

QOTD: Geez. I fall all the time. I guess worst fall would be HatRun 50k back in 2009. I found the only pointy rock on the course with 2 miles to go. Looked like I had been gutted with a shiv. After a few post race beers I headed to the ER for belly stitches. I've posted the photo many times here I believe.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

QOTD: Geez. I fall all the time. I guess worst fall would be HatRun 50k back in 2009. I found the only pointy rock on the course with 2 miles to go. Looked like I had been gutted with a shiv. After a few post race beers I headed to the ER for belly stitches. I've posted the photo many times here I believe.

Wow. You drank a couple of beers before going to the ER for stitches!?! Hahaha. Nice.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Gym last night and something tonight...probably outside run since the weather has been great.

Queen - how's your team doing? Mine - we're still in first and killing it.

QOTD: Not sure I want to answer this because I have not had any bad falls and this is going to jinx me.  I have fallen but always caught myself (or been lucky) not to do any damage.  When I first started trail running I was "young & dumb" and was flying down a decent hill (southbound on Blue Mtn on the AT) which is very rocky.  I ended up going down hard and was parallel to the ground staring at a sharp rock a mere inch from my face.  It was close.  Needless to say that experience slowed me down on trails.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Got a nice 5-ish yesterday evening, does upper 70's count as heat training?   Going to get a hill repeat session in after work today- high temp today 66 degrees!  Love it

qotd: My worst fall was a face & body plant into a rock field- I was black and blue almost the entire length of one side of my body. Last night I toed a rock in the exact same area and came within a hairs breath of biffing it again! 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD: Not sure I want to answer this because I have not had any bad falls and this is going to jinx me.  

Jinx is on. Watch your step.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

4 fartlek miles thru the flats of town and then the valley trails.  Felt great!  Saw a great horned owl, a turkey, bunch of deer and some herons.

Qptd- lots of times, but no serious injuries other than the annoying ankle sprains

LB2

That has to be nice. We don't get that until December or January in most years.

Got a nice 5-ish yesterday evening, does upper 70's count as heat training?   Going to get a hill repeat session in after work today- high temp today 66 degrees!  Love it

LB2

dpc3

Was up at 230 so I read then hit the trails with my headlamp and pearl for a quick 8. Feeling good these days.

QOTD: I have taken my fair share but the one I remember was my first Ultra in Sisters Oregon and I took a head first dive. My shirt was nasty as I rolled through the finish line and the RD asked well how did it go? I answer it was great minus the fall. His reply was awesome "It's not a trail run without a fall or two"!

Daydreamer1

Gotta wash the front of the house down. It's growing green stuff on the siding. We never needed to do this until about 3-4 years ago. Must be the more humid weather the past several years.

6-7 miles on the road after that.  Legs are stiff and tired, but looking at my running log I can see why, my mileage is way down.

LB2 - The visual I get from your description leaves me at loss for words.

QOTD: Worst running fall was back in '12. I was training for my first Hyner and DS and I were putting in a training run about two weeks prior to the race. We were on the AT coming back down towards the Susquehanna on the blue loop. Got to a section that was really nice, flat  and fairly plush.  A root jumped up and grabbed my toe causing me to go airborne and parallel with the ground. I landed on the only rock there, squarely on my right hip. First though was, "shit I broke my damn hip" . After about 10 minutes I was able to walk to the car.  Ended up not bothering me too much during the race,  where I took another spectacular fall.

We were going down a long rocky down hill at a really good clip and I was leading the pack. Caught a rock and went down over the bank did a somersault, landed on my feet, scrambled back on the trail and kept going. People behind me barely missed a stride. They scored me as a 8.5 on that one mostly because I used my hand on the ground during the flip.

And while partially running related I have to remember the fall from my truck. We were hauling sweet corn from a farm in NJ to a cannery in PA. The harvest crew had just dumped a big load of unhusked corn on my trailer. AS sometimes happened it slid out of their wagon too fast leaving it piled way above the sides of the trailer. I crawled up on top to level it out and while standing on to of the pile it shifted causing me to fall over the side. I had a brief feeling of being like Wile E. Coyote going over the cliff running in thin air (hence why it's running related ) then I hit the ground about 15 feet below.  Landed on my feet, smashed my face into the ground.  Took me at least five minutes to get the nose bleed to slow enough so I could talk, 1 1/2 hours until it stopped enough to drive,  5 hours to stop completely. The harvest crew wanted to take me to the hospital  a 1/4 mile away. I wouldn't go, there was too much money to be made. Hauling that stuff was lucrative. Think I lost one of my lives that day. Thank God for sandy New Jersey soil.

LB2

LB2 - The visual I get from your description leaves me at loss for words.

I thought for sure that I had broken my jaw. But, it was just cut. There was no way I was not going to continue at that point without a bone from my leg being exposed. That race was too important to me. I did end up with cellulitis in my shin from a fall earlier in the race. I scraped my shin when I slipped off the trail about 5 miles into the race. I could feel something "funny" going on down there about 78 miles in. I am glad it wasn't that flesh eating bacteria. That would have sucked.

Looks like you have quite a bit of experience with falling, yourself.

LB2

LB2

Was up at 230 so I read then hit the trails with my headlamp and pearl for a quick 8. Feeling good these days.

Insomnia?

LB2

dpc3

Nope - 1 year old joined the bed and I woke up so I went downstairs to read and enjoy a silent house before the run.

Gator eye

Slept in this am

QOTD: non running- I was 17 and sitting in the passenger side of a old pickup truck my buddy just purchased. He went around a tight corner and I found myself rolling down the shoulder of the road at 45 mph. When I stopped Rollin I got up, brushed myself off and walked up to the pickup and jumped back in, he just said watch that door it'll pop open if you lean on it. Yeah thanks....

Running related- running at a good clip in a 25k trail race  when I came up to some planks going across a muddy swamp. My foot slipped as I jumped on the planks and went head first in some black stinky swamp mud. It didn't hurt but I sure was a smelly mess the rest of the day.