Trailer Trash

Merry Mondailies (Read 33 times)

Morning, all.  Taking a rest day today. I had a packed weekend but squeezed in 12 trail miles on Saturday and a 6.5 mile run through South Philly last night with friends to see the fun/tacky holiday lights.

QOTD: On my Saturday trail run, I saw about 95% mountain bikers and maybe 5% runners/hikers. I thought this was strange as I normally see about a 50/50 mix. Do you see more runners/hikers, MTBers, horseback riders, skiiers, or a mix of everything on the trail?

runtraildc

Morning!  Mostly a rest day-- I'll get to the gym later on for a strength workout, plus a very short and easy treadmill run.

qotd:  Mostly hikers with their dogs.  About 75% and the rest trail runners.  Mtn bikes aren't allowed on my usual trails, and if I go to Rock Creek, sometimes horses, too.

Occasional Runner

39 degrees and raining this morning, but the pup and I got our for 6 mountain miles. In the last mile, she kicked up a bunch of mule deer and made sport of chasing them down the mountain into the abyss. I had to stand in the rain in my shorts and t-shirt, freezing my ass off until she got tired of all that nonsense. If she wasn't so sweet, I would probably be pissed off.

QOTD: That depends on the time of day. I run in the dark, so if I see anybody at all, it a runner. I see the same 4 or 5 women a few times a week, but nobody else. When I run later on the weekends, I see 75% runners and 25% MTB'rs.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just learned that my day off work has gotten chopped up with chores, so I'm not sure if I'll get a run in before the freezing rain starts. Trying, though.

QOTD: It used to be a few hikers, maybe a runner, and maybe a mountain biker. However, this summer, the trails got heavily promoted, especially for mountain biking, and now it's 75% mountain bikers, 20% runners, 5% hikers. Oh, and the other 100% now are hunters in their cars, looking for deer.

Run for fun.

Marley has been under the weather so we just walked a few miles today.  Going to the vet later.

QOTD:  I'd say that not counting us it is 45% hikers, 45% mountain bikers, and 10% runners.  A lot of road runners park the same place as us and I am on speaking terms with a lot of them.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Have stuff for a lunch time 5 miler on the trail. The next 6 days are no rain...which is nice for me.

QOTD: Depends on the trail.  Pioneer trail is MT Bikers but you never see them until you are returning.  Seems like they like to sleep in.   or wait until it's warmer.  All the other trails are either deserted or have hikers with occasional MT Biker.

TT:  Hope Marley is ok...  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

TT:  Hope Marley is ok...  

Thanks.  She has had the runs for several days, hasn't had much appetite, and has been a little lazy.  She had been drinking water though so at least she probably isn't too badly dehydrated.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

took the day off so I'll squeeze in 6-8 miles in the hills and some strength training in the evening

qotd: this time of year rarely a mtn biker, although I have seen a few fat tire bikes in the snow; summer/fall/spring: hikers/dog walkers ~ 60%, runners ~30%, mtn bikers ~10%

to be honest, I don't see many folks on the trail- I can go on several runs w/o seeing anyone; saw no one on yesterdays 6 mile run, two folks the day before on my 14 mile run

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Heading out for 5-8 miles in a couple of hours unless the slop we are supposed to get starts  before I head out. If it does I'll probably just put some time in on the elliptical and trainer.  Hmmm..... considering that I just stepped outside and it's really cold, damp and miserable here today, I might just opt for the inside workout.

QOTD:  You mean you all actually see other people on your trails .  If I drive down to the Appalachian trail I might see a couple of hikers. Last spring I actually had another runner sighting, the first and only time that I can remember.  The trails that I normally run It's rare for me to see anyone. When I do It will be a couple of hikers. I have seen some MTBers unloading their bikes but it seems like most of them are only going to be riding on the forest roads. Occasionally I'll talk with a fisherman or hunter, but It's just extremely rare for me to see anyone. It's kind of sad because most of those trails are used for a major race in the fall. It just seem like nobody uses them in between races.  There are a lot of blazed, but unused trails in that area. I've thought about doing some maintenance on them but it's probably a waste of time so I don't.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today, 'though I might get out before the biblical rain begins tomorrow.  Mice runs this weekend.  Miles of empty trails yesterday, and the only thing I saw was deer.  Guess they know it's safe to come out now.

Couch - hope you are on the mend.

Marlee - get well soon.

QOTD:  75% bikes, 15% hikers (really only on the AT, rest of trails never see runners / hikers), 9.8% Horsey people.   .2% Runners

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Heading out for 5-8 miles in a couple of hours unless the slop we are supposed to get starts  before I head out. If it does I'll probably just put some time in on the elliptical and trainer.  Hmmm..... considering that I just stepped outside and it's really cold, damp and miserable here today, I might just opt for the inside workout.

QOTD:  You mean you all actually see other people on your trails .  If I drive down to the Appalachian trail I might see a couple of hikers. Last spring I actually had another runner sighting, the first and only time that I can remember.  The trails that I normally run It's rare for me to see anyone. When I do It will be a couple of hikers. I have seen some MTBers unloading their bikes but it seems like most of them are only going to be riding on the forest roads. Occasionally I'll talk with a fisherman or hunter, but It's just extremely rare for me to see anyone. It's kind of sad because most of those trails are used for a major race in the fall. It just seem like nobody uses them in between races.  There are a lot of blazed, but unused trails in that area. I've thought about doing some maintenance on them but it's probably a waste of time so I don't.

Daydreamer, where do you run usually? Just curious.

some call me Tim

More rest for me today. I stupidly ran a 5k this weekend with my wife and aggravated the achilles again. It became decrunchified pretty quickly this time, but I guess call that a reminder that slow paces are all that's acceptable during this recovery. Gr. Words cannot convey my annoyance.

qotd: The local MTB club built/maintain most of the local trails worth running, so that's mostly what I see out there. They do a good job keeping things up, but God do those guys trash the trails.

You mean you all actually see other people on your trails  

We would probably see quite a few if we ran mid day on the weekend.  As it is we don't see too many, definitely not on every run, but we never go more than a few days without seeing someone on the trails and some days we see several folks.  When it is cold and/or wet we see way less folks out.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

hog4life

Rest day.

mostly see runners

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer, where do you run usually? Just curious.

The trails around R.B. Winter state park. It's located north west of Mifflinburg and east of State College. The park area itself is rather small but has a nice lake for swimming. The area around the park is all state forest lands. Midpenntrailblazers put on a trail race there in the fall, a half and a full marathon. I consider the half course to be my home training course. This year the race is Sept 20th. I would describe the course as a little brother to Hyner and Rothrock, not quite as much elevation or as technical as those two. http://www.midpenntrailblazers.com/trail-race-events/damhalf/index.html